Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 80

Well last night while doing a few little jobs I thought I'd replace the bulb in the drivers side rear door, well wasn't a bulb lol...when's life that easy!! No connection to the switch so no earth for that lamp.
Couple of trims off and a prod with the multimeter... open circuit in the loom.
Opened up the conduit and found the crimped connector had corroded causing the open circuit.

These should all be connected
20131213_213223.jpg

Corrosion had spread down the copper wire and had to replace a good section of wire, pretty much the full length that runs along the sill
20131213_220521.jpg

There's a few other joints the same so opened them up to check them just incase, they were all fine and corrosion doesn't start for no reason, the wire that runs near the hinges had a little nic in the insulation allowing water to track down so a new bit went into the door loom too.

All for a light on a door I rarely use :lol: I like stuff to work though!!

Done a few bits and pieces to the 80, mostly burning loads of unleaded!

Made some mounts in the boot, can strap in jerry cans, camping gear or other items, they're made on the brackets for the 3rd row seat
20140108_210818.jpg

Also extended the bumpstops after having seem contact issues
20140105_193615.jpg

Realised I need some better ramps too, didn't like a fully loaded 80 being put on
20140111_155252.jpg

Gave the rear axle a a good clean and re paint too, it's now black but took some time
20140118_235639.jpg

Goes in for a stainless exhaust in a couple of weeks too and planning a side exit.

Well as I moved out of the rented mancave today I thought I'd give the 80 a treat, its been a bit neglected recently and had to endure sharing with a couple of landys!
Only been cleaned by large puddles too!
It's picked up a few scratches and the rear bumper got some added 'character' spent a few hours with the cleaning products.

Gave the interior a clean and conditioned the leather to try keep it supple

20140125_213555.jpg

Then the hard work started, a going over with the black t cut, a coat of auto glym deepshine followed by 2 coats of auto glym hard wax, cleaned all the glass and applied some rainx to all the side and rear glass.

Some viewer's may find the following images disturbing! :lol:

I think it's come up ok.
20140125_232129.jpg

20140125_232151.jpg

I think I've achieved what I set out to do when I got my 80,
35" tyres and lift but not too tall, can be used for everyday use and family trips/hols (255/85's sort that out) nice to drive on and off road, not to drastically alter its appearance as I really like how they look, so discreet winch and sliders under the side steps (clipped once or twice and they do the job)

I know it's a straight petrol and it'll never win awards for fantastic mpg, it won't get driven across Africa but I'm wanting to take it over the channel at somepoint. It took me a while to find 'the one' and I wanted a late one with low miles etc and the miles I do I can live with a petrol. It may be kept clean but the old girl isn't afraid of a bit of rough dirty play :oops:

Have to admit though I've been recovered on more then one occasion by a disco :icon-cry: and even had a mechanical failure in the presence of said disco!!!

Looks great Gary.

You will have to pop along to Lincomb this year and camp. Have a drive around. You can use the truck as hard or soft as you like. Something for everyone and a great weekend.

Looks great Gary.

You will have to pop along to Lincomb this year and camp. Have a drive around. You can use the truck as hard or soft as you like. Something for everyone and a great weekend.

Cheers Karl,
I plan on it date depending mate, be good to meet up with everyone. Got a week in Wales laning end of April, a trip to France being planned (date unconfirmed as euro Disney in the plans) and august bank hol weekend for an itocuk event (show them a proper 4x4) plus the usual days laning but a few of those can easily be sacrificed.

We plan on another little un at some point so trying to get out as much as I can while I can lol. Emma is very understanding but there will be a limit to that!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Cheers Karl,
I plan on it date depending mate, be good to meet up with everyone. Got a week in Wales laning end of April, a trip to France being planned (date unconfirmed as euro Disney in the plans) and august bank hol weekend for an itocuk event (show them a proper 4x4) plus the usual days laning but a few of those can easily be sacrificed.

We plan on another little un at some point so trying to get out as much as I can while I can lol. Emma is very understanding but there will be a limit to that!

Sounds good.

Nice to get out as much as poss. I need to get on and get some jobs done on mine this year. Suspension still sat in the garage,airbags ready for the rear,inverter etc etc . Not enough hours in the day :thumbdown:
Weekends away will be on the (to do) list if the sun ever comes out lol.

If we plan a laning trip ill give you a shout :thumbup:

Lovely looking truck there, you must be proud of the out come:icon-cool:

Cheers, Mark

Nice 80 Gary. Black is nice. Disregard the mpg. It's only an issue if you measure it.

Cheers guys, yeah very happy with it. Had the odd moment with it but who doesn't!? Put a few hours in and gone over everything, got an understanding wife which helps!!

Yeah Chris the mpg is what it is, I wouldn't of looked for a non lpg petrol if it was a concern :lol: it's not my daily drive, I cycle to work and we've got a focus (which might be getting sold and replaced with a company car)

It's nice to drive and does the job off road just like it was built for

Just to add a pic here too. Got the stainless exhaust done today

20140210_153455.jpg

So today total off road mag landed through the post, 6 page article on the 80 :icon-biggrin: they took all photos etc while they'd joined us in Wales couple months back. Done a good write up and mentioned the club :icon-wink:

Hey Gary, you didn't mention just what MPG you'd managed to squeeze out of it. I think it might make some people think again about a spirit burner. I was stunned

Hey Gary, you didn't mention just what MPG you'd managed to squeeze out of it. I think it might make some people think again about a spirit burner. I was stunned

I was shocked lol had to check a couple of times.

Basically the trip to Wales, so quite a few road miles to get there and back, steady convoy 55 mph ish and not much stop/start.
Steady away on the lanes and not pushing hard between the lanes, hardly kicking the gearbox down and not needing loads of revs (bearing in mind with a bunch of troopers that don't pull away as well)
Returned an average of just over 20mpg :icon-biggrin:
I had quite a sizeable fuel budget and was surprised I didn't get through it!

I don't always drive as steady tbh, I'd say the free flow exhaust has made a difference and obviously a steady convoy helped.
The return trip was very steady to due to one of the lads having issues and Struggled to top 45 mph, 80 barely doing any revs at that speed.

flip side though...... doing the garden the other week, quite a bit of weight in the boot a few times, slow moving traffic etc, just over half a tank did 120 miles. Rough and smooth.

Truly epic. OK so it's hard not to floor one petrol I know, but when you have to save fuel it's staggering what you can get out of one. 20 mpg deserves some kinda award.

Truly epic. OK so it's hard not to floor one petrol I know, but when you have to save fuel it's staggering what you can get out of one. 20 mpg deserves some kinda award.

You've heard it Chris, it can be really hard not to floor it :icon-twisted:

I want to give it a really good steady run on the 33's and see what it does. See if any better then when I was noting it down. Got plans for a trip to Scotland soon, mate lives in Inverkip and probably a couple days in Edinburgh, might leave the beemer at home and take the 80. Who needs 60 Mpg lol.

when i went to MOZ last year in a petrol 80 towing a trailer ie reverse plough as the track was very narrow. we averaged 17mpg and that included 10 days of dune and beach driving. what we learnt about the sand driving was you can go slow but have to have tyres very soft we were running 0.8 bar i think.

stu

So today total off road mag landed through the post, 6 page article on the 80 :icon-biggrin: they took all photos etc while they'd joined us in Wales couple months back. Done a good write up and mentioned the club :icon-wink:

Looking good Gary :clap:

Not done much to the 80 recently, too busy enjoying not having to fix a 4x4 all the time.

Thanks to the great customer service at pedders I've replaced the rear springs today.

At work our ramps aren't suitable for the 80, we have a big 4post one which is no good for doing the springs, mini workshop next door has normal 2 post ramps but means hassle opening up and asking to use the workshop.

I got creative with my ramp and the waffle boards

]
20140802_130715.jpg

]
20140802_132759.jpg

It worked a treat and saved a load of hassle, will come in handy again I'm quite sure.

old springs with very low miles that were manufactured in 2011 ( can peel coating off pretty much every coil)and the new ones manufactured 2014 :icon-biggrin: A quick message to query it, a few photos and within a few days a new pair of springs delivered to work. i would've taken them off and re painted if needed too so rather pleased.

20140802_132122.jpg

Back