Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My 80's drop tailgate fitted toolkit/locker

Cptsideways

Garage
Thought i'd post up what I've been beavering away at this afternoon, I saw the other threads on the tailgate storage compartments & thought that would be handy. My truck is essentially used for race support, so always has a toolkit in it so a boot locker would be handy.

Now I already have a double floor in my truck, to hide jerry cans & tools away & an occasional sleeping area, all carpeted out so this was to match.

I like to keep things simple & when away on race weekends I take a basic but comprehensive toolkit, its actually a Lidl's toolkit two twin tray thing. Its compact & very handy with nice stuff in it. So I started by chopping up the toolkit box. Split the two halves one for each side. Cut the panels out to fit, fixed the tooltray to the tailgate & foam behind.

Its a plywood top/base, hinged at the front end, carpeted to match the rest, with some velcro to keep it closed it does'nt need a catch ;)

NOTE: Mine is a HDJ81 & its different bootlid to an HDJ80 !

Some pics
2012-03-01%2017.36.04.jpg

2012-03-01%2017.48.19.jpg

2012-03-01%2017.35.56.jpg

2012-03-01%2015.46.19.jpg

2012-03-01%2018.23.02.jpg

Very neat job, I like the velcro idea :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice idea. Tell me how do you stop the sockets and small bits falling out of their mouldings when in verticle position? I assume the Plywood top with Velcro doesn't fit tightly enough to stop this on its own.

Lollie said:
Nice idea. Tell me how do you stop the sockets and small bits falling out of their mouldings when in verticle position? I assume the Plywood top with Velcro doesn't fit tightly enough to stop this on its own.

Well because I have my split level floor, the locker lid is held tight when its closed. Plus theres some extra padding on the underside of the upper tool layer to keep it all in the place. Seems to work rather well. Note this toolbox is designed to be carried upright anyway so that probably helps.

Great idea. Good job.

Are the tool holders/inserts/trays durable? (I mean: Didn't you say Lidl?)

What does it do to the total weight of the tailgate? Is it hard to open in a controlled way? Springloaded?

uHu said:
Great idea. Good job.

Are the tool holders/inserts/trays durable? (I mean: Didn't you say Lidl?)

What does it do to the total weight of the tailgate? Is it hard to open in a controlled way? Springloaded?

Those toolkits are at 4 or 5 years old & still going strong, this one had lost it latches but otherwise still 100% functional. The toolkits are German made ;)

I doubt its added 5kg to the tailgate so no noticeable difference, I ditched the original carpet & trim which must have weighd 3kg by itself.

If anybody wants a OE carpet tailgate carpet panel in grey I now have one spare

Back