Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My Alf before the accident

Debztoy

Country Flag
australia
I am SO damn proud of my 80series, and what we have achieved, done, seen and explored.

I have literally THOUSANDS of videos and pics of him, so welcome to my Alf thread :D
20171007_144440.jpg
FB_IMG_1472365973771.jpg
FB_IMG_1500205228509.jpg
FB_IMG_1512044635219.jpg

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well no ones going to say that truck didn't live life to the full. Impressive photos and a lovely looking truck to boot. Thanks for posting.

Whats the full story then @Debztoy ?

Hey guys, the full story is:

Got back from my 10,000km round trip to Gibb River Rd, Wyndham, Kimberlies, Northwest and back.

Went to get my 10,000km service and my usual mechanic wasn't there. Someone else did it.

Turns out my front diff was bent, so i scored another shell and bought a strenghthening kit, had it welded on and put the front diff back in.

Picked my car up and was heading to a special invite to a secret track out at Mundaring 09th June 2018, at 0630 in the mornig with my dog.

It was raining, so i sat on approx 90-95 km/h in the 110km/h zone.

Just the other side of Harvey Alf started wondering to the left, so i turned the wheel to bring him back onto the road, that didn't work and he kept wondering over. I turned the wheel again and still nothing. I panicked and reefed the wheel all the way to the right and he hit the dirt on the side of the road and next thing i knew i'm looking down seeing me on 80 and a fucking big tree in front of me.

Hit the tree almost head on at 80km/h. Rear end lifted and we flipped/flew through the air and landed back on all 4s.

Couldn't find my dog, my glasses flew off my face and couldn't find them, didn't really have time to think as i was stressing about Phoenix. Had to kick the drivers side door to get it to open to get out. He ended up slinking around the back on the car thank God!! Scared but safe and ok.

Everything that was inside the car now sat outside the car, including my bottle jack whoch thank God catapulted out the rear window and didn't smash me in the back of my head........ so many factors could have made this end so damn differently.

Turns out when my diff went back in, and this guy put my steering arm back on the passenger side wheel, the crown nut he used was wrong. The crown itself was too long and hid the hole where the split pin goes into.

So no split pin, nut eventually rattled loose and fell off, tie rod end jimped out of the hole and i lost steering.

Hey guys, the full story is:

Got back from my 10,000km round trip to Gibb River Rd, Wyndham, Kimberlies, Northwest and back.

Went to get my 10,000km service and my usual mechanic wasn't there. Someone else did it.

Turns out my front diff was bent, so i scored another shell and bought a strenghthening kit, had it welded on and put the front diff back in.

Picked my car up and was heading to a special invite to a secret track out at Mundaring 09th June 2018, at 0630 in the mornig with my dog.

It was raining, so i sat on approx 90-95 km/h in the 110km/h zone.

Just the other side of Harvey Alf started wondering to the left, so i turned the wheel to bring him back onto the road, that didn't work and he kept wondering over. I turned the wheel again and still nothing. I panicked and reefed the wheel all the way to the right and he hit the dirt on the side of the road and next thing i knew i'm looking down seeing me on 80 and a fucking big tree in front of me.

Hit the tree almost head on at 80km/h. Rear end lifted and we flipped/flew through the air and landed back on all 4s.

Couldn't find my dog, my glasses flew off my face and couldn't find them, didn't really have time to think as i was stressing about Phoenix. Had to kick the drivers side door to get it to open to get out. He ended up slinking around the back on the car thank God!! Scared but safe and ok.

Everything that was inside the car now sat outside the car, including my bottle jack whoch thank God catapulted out the rear window and didn't smash me in the back of my head........ so many factors could have made this end so damn differently.

Turns out when my diff went back in, and this guy put my steering arm back on the passenger side wheel, the crown nut he used was wrong. The crown itself was too long and hid the hole where the split pin goes into.

So no split pin, nut eventually rattled loose and fell off, tie rod end jimped out of the hole and i lost steering.
FARK! You sound about as lucky as me, really glad you didn't get hurt, well physically anyway, but it's only metal, your life is worth more than any vehicle.

great pics, shame about the motor but as you say, could have been much worse

wow so sorry to hear of your accident. Happy for you to have come away ok. Health & well being the most important.

So sad to had the accident due to negligence of the service guys. Our lives are often unrealised in the hands of others.

Damn shame, just glad you and your dog survived relatively unscathed.

Such a simple error causing a disaster.

So what’s next, replacement 80 I hope... ?

Wow that was close Debz. As said first off glad you and your dog suffered no injury. Second really sorry to hear that Alf is in a mess. An argument with a tree rarely comes off well and it sounds as if you did miraculously well.
I would imagine you’ll be claiming off the garage that worked on your vehicle, if for no other reason than to prevent such negligent bodgery from befalling some other innocent driver. This was a little while ago wasn’t it, so I guess there’s more to the story.

Glad you’re ok and that Alf looked after you.

Back