Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My first resto project

moggy1968

I have made the decision to start the restoration of my dads mark 1 2ltr vitesse. He bought this 'accidentally' on ebay about 15 years back for £800 (no one else bidded!). It was MOT'd and running when he got it. He ran it for the summer then put it in the garage for a 'light restoration' and it has been there ever since. He is busy with his rover so I have decided to take this on. It's my first resto so should be 'interesting'! as I've never done anything more than basic servicing and maintenance before. The structure looks basically sound but I shall be starting from the back and working my way forwards. First job is to clear some space!!

IMG_2602.jpg
IMG_2601.jpg

That doesn't a resto - a quick once over with a rag and your away! :icon-wink:

Good luck with the project and look forward to loads of pics! :thumbup:

That doesn't a resto - a quick once over with a rag and your away! :icon-wink:

Good luck with the project and look forward to loads of pics! :thumbup:
Thats what I'm hoping, but you know how these things go:laughing-rolling:

Thats what I'm hoping, but you know how these things go:laughing-rolling:

Great, I used to have one, loads of fun, specially in the summer...

For me the Herald, and moreso the Vitesse with that added power, had a unique feel to it when driving, unlike other cars. Not always good, but defo unique.

I loved it!

Good luck with it Andy. Hope the tin worm haven’t attacked in large numbers.

Nice, my dad had one too, had it from new. Same straight 6 with overdrive as in the 2000 that he had before. Can't remember him having too much trouble with it, I think he replaced an outrigger on the chassis. As Clive said, could be an interesting drive, but went pretty well and lovely on a sunny day.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
looks like a good proj.
my dad had a couple back in the day, "when I was courting your mother.." etc etc.
he rebuilt the engine on one, let me know if you want me to pick his brains about any of there little intricacies.

For me the Herald, and moreso the Vitesse with that added power, had a unique feel to it when driving, unlike other cars. Not always good, but defo unique.

Independent rear suspension with a transverse rear spring caused some handling issues.

A fast 'S' bend could have it on its roof.

Bob.

Independent rear suspension with a transverse rear spring caused some handling issues.

Bob.

That bloody shared transverse leaf spring at the back has a lot to answer for.... :whistle:

Bob.
Spax asjustables go a long way towards helping with that, along with some other tweeks.

Back