Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My HDJ80 Overland Build

My modified Outback rack ready for the roof tent mod.

DSC00933.JPG

I'm interested to see what your idea is Mike and how its going to turn out. It would appear that you're going to compromise the interior tent accommodation... unless you have some clever engineering solution. C'mon , spill the beans chap!

At the moment design is a couple of hinged/sprung boards that cover the apperture when sleeping - they will lift up to allow access downstairs when using the full length bed. But I have lots of other ideas which may work or not. Will see when its all in place. Just like most pop tops have boards that slide into place for the bed, just this one is a little shorter! This design will work, but Im still working on a design which wont involve disturbing each other if we need to get up in the night. TBH at the moment the design is no worse (and probably easier) than clambering over someone to access the conventional ladder system.

Of course there is a twofold advantage (in my eyes anyway) for this system. One is access to tent from within van and removing need for an external ladder. Other is when tent is up you have standing room and even when it is down you have extra head height for a bench seat (just big enough for both of us to sit and eat inside if necessary)

Managed to find time to make some more progress. Sub tank installed but not plumbed in. May leave that to Julian at OC.

Interior is taking shape. Finally found a suitable 65l water tank that will sit on the right hand side (rather than behind front seats as originally intended). Also got a 15L calorifier which will sit behind drivers seat. 80L total plus will probably take a 20L container for good drinking water (may install a filter so main tank can be used to drink from, not sure yet)

Building the framework with Valuframe - what amazing stuff. Reasonably priced and so adaptable and strong.
Fridge installed. Hopefully get the water tank and calorifier physically installed over the weekend.

Calorifier I was just going to use the pipes to the heater under the drivers seat (as that will now be redundant). Is this an OK idea?

Hole in roof is still work in progress!

DSC00981.JPG DSC00983.JPG DSC00984.JPG DSC00985.JPG DSC00986.JPG

Of course!

More progress today. Fridge, water tank and calorifier all physically installed along with the framework

DSC00988.JPG DSC00989.JPG

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
No baffles. I have thought about this, but Ive built a couple of campers before this with larger tanks and no baffles and not really had any issues. I cant imagine its any worse than the large underslung diesel tank which doesnt have any major baffles. Will just see how it goes.

Whats the Valuframe like to work with? Looking to redo my drawer system and this and the 25mm tubing look like 2 easy options?

Winch and winch bumper installed. Just fitted with a bit of fabrication to the slam panel bar!

DSC01006.JPG DSC01007.JPG DSC00996.JPG DSC00999.JPG

Frame for the roof apperture is finished. A little more complex than one would have hoped. Lots of angles to contend with but now is a perfect fit.

Also relocated one of the roof support beams to give added strength to the roof.

39388997_277063533120672_2918057354211622912_n.jpg 39253563_2130304850518795_8286370508291702784_n.jpg 39398707_301780183916896_7514980492005867520_n.jpg

you realise that here in sandland it would make a wonderful MMG mount.....to go with the taxi negotiator bulbar...yes Sir now we are talking..:smilingimp:

Back