Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My Hilux Build

Cracked on with more wiring today - finished off CTEK charger install and most of the interior wiring

then started on winch install - using a discrete winch mount and my goldfish TDS 9.5
still have to get more wire to wire it up and a solenoid pack and remote - might go wireless and lead this time

I plan to space the hawse out a bit more, and trim a bit more plastic
since winch rope my rub on upward pulls at moment
and get a different edge trim

sorry pics out of order

using jack to get mount and winch in position - my helper is yawning by this stage...

2014-04-12 12.54.02 (Medium).jpg

done
2014-04-12 15.56.43 (Medium).jpg

winch and mount in place
2014-04-12 13.08.52 (Medium).jpg

2014-04-12 13.08.47 (Medium).jpg

side bracket
2014-04-12 12.59.36 (Medium).jpg

working on getting it place
2014-04-12 12.54.25 (Medium).jpg

factory bumper and towbar removed, ready for ARB rear bumper install
2014-04-12 17.29.36 (Medium).jpg

old stuff
2014-04-12 17.22.47 (Medium).jpg

looking pert
2014-04-12 17.22.28 (Medium).jpg

helper has dinner
2014-04-12 15.59.35 (Medium).jpg

i am liking the discrete winch mount - thanks to Scott and Jon for suggesting this is the better option
2014-04-12 15.56.58 (Medium).jpg

2014-04-12 15.58.44-1 (Medium).jpg

2014-04-12 12.54.00 (Medium).jpg

hardware
2014-04-12 12.20.04 (Medium).jpg

test fitting the winch tray
2014-04-12 12.19.17 (Medium).jpg

bumper off and ready for install
2014-04-12 12.09.24 (Medium).jpg

2014-04-12 12.05.23 (Medium).jpg

all done

2014-04-12 15.56.36 (Medium).jpg

2014-04-12 15.58.58 (Medium).jpg

2014-04-12 15.58.53 (Medium).jpg

waiting for dinner
2014-04-12 15.59.30 (Medium).jpg

Attachments

• 2014-04-12 12.05.16 (Medium).jpg
    2014-04-12 12.05.16 (Medium).jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Nice work Andy, very discrete.

What controls will you have?

Dash mount switches, wandering lead remote, radio remote?

I'm considering using the now spare aerial "up" "down" switches on the 80.

If they were connected via a plug, I could still use the wandering lead remote as an alternative:think: IIRC, there's a thread on this...

thanks Clive

think i may go with a wandering lead and radio-remote
and do away with dash switch this time

thanks Clive

think i may go with a wandering lead and radio-remote
and do away with dash switch this time

Does that mean you wouldn't recommend dash switches?

I don't use the winch a lot (I'm not Ben after all!) but I often wonder when I'm threading the remote lead through the window when it's peeing down with rain...:think: Those unused dash switches start to beckon then... :icon-biggrin:

It's such a nice build, you can ONLY go with a Lodar really. I have two and they are really good. And you can mount them outside

But never mind this winch puppy business, what's the water pump like? Just missed on on on ebay for £25. Was sauteeing onions and forgot.

Got the rear ARB bumper to fit first chris before pump gets to top of list

Its all wired up and tank in place, just need to plumb it in

Sent from my GT-P1010 using Tapatalk 2

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Looks very smart Andy, great work. :thumbup::clap::clap::cool::cool:

Like the private plate as well.

Thanks Scott and thanks for swaying me towards hidden mount. Those photos of austrian hilux usefull too, their mount was a bit higher up though.

Is this the lodar system you have Chris?

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=230731941910

Regarding solenoids
What's recommended? Albright or one of these TG Thompson ones some of you have fitted

Last edited:
I've had both the Albright style solenoids and the TG Thompson solenoid completely to bits on a table next to one another for comparison. The TG Thompson is with out doubt the heavier construction with much thicker copper bars and better IP protection, but they both have the same sized contacts. The TG Thompson also needs to be remotely mounted as it will not fit into the standard TDS winch solenoid box and the wiring connection points are slightly different to those of the Albright style solenoids, so again if replacing its not a direct swap between the two although is possible with a little fiddling. I've not managed to burn out the TG Thompson as yet despite my best efforts on my last Welsh trip, but have burnt out two Albright style solenoids in the last couple of years! My m8 Giles still uses the original method of four can style solenoids on his rear winch and despite his best efforts over a number of years has not managed to break them once!

That looks really good. I like a nice discreet winch install.
I use Albright solenoid for the winch and only had one fail but after a lot of use. I carry a spare anyway. I had a motor fail before the solenoid failed!

Yes Andy that's the Lodar. Might be a slightly older model in the shot but it's the two function one. Yes.

Might have to keep my eyes peeled for a 4-function one. Have in-cabin controls already but the handlead and Goodwinch freebie wireless have no control of the freespool.

Thanks for info on solenoids and winch remotes

I don't have a TDS winch solenoid box anymore - that was fitted to Wugg.

Well had a battle with the ARB rear protection bumper today.
It wouldn't fit...

..... the fixing side-supports were too close together by 10mm, so wouldn't fit up the outside of the end of the chassis rails...

seems this is yet another difference between the post 2012 Hilux and the earlier models...

it was such a bargain, I wasn't ready to admit defeat.
so i decided to chop off the side supports, and re-attach the 5mm further out on each side.
so out with the cutting discs and welder

2014-04-13 09.47.32 (Medium).jpg

then i found i needed to enlarge some of mounting holes, since they were a few mm out too

eventually got it all fitted and painted over welds.
2014-04-13 10.51.35 (Medium).jpg

2014-04-13 14.17.10 (Medium).jpg

2014-04-13 12.31.37 (Medium).jpg

2014-04-13 12.31.45 (Medium).jpg

2014-04-13 12.31.29 (Medium).jpg

2014-04-13 12.44.35 (Medium).jpg

Then I got on with the water pump

added connectors to the water tank and pipes
the tank fits in gap at front to the tub, in recess in front of drawers

2014-04-13 15.07.07 (Medium).jpg

2014-04-13 15.07.29 (Medium).jpg

the pump is in cubby hole to side of drawers

2014-04-13 15.07.42 (Medium).jpg

2014-04-13 15.06.42 (Medium).jpg

got it all working, bar a couple leaks. after fixing some of them the pump wouldn't work anymore...
the motor feed wire is getting 12v after the pressure switch.
so either the motor has seized, or the thermal cutout switch is activated.. but the pump is cool to touch.

maybe there was some debris in tank, which has caused an issue

i will investigate later in week if it doesn't come back to life.

seemed to work well when i was going, although it was a bit spluttery due to some trapped air in the pipework
2014-04-13 15.09.10 (Medium).jpg

I don't have a TDS winch solenoid box anymore - that was fitted to Wugg.

I've got one here if needed, the ARB bumper on the Amazon doesn't have enough space so I relocated the solenoid.

I've got one here if needed, the ARB bumper on the Amazon doesn't have enough space so I relocated the solenoid.

thanks Doodle thats great, i will let you know if i need one.
I will probably go with a TG Thompson one (which doesnt fit in the box) and fit it in higher up in engine bay

I have two TGs and they are mounted outside. They have been totally drowned and abused and have never failed. Nice connections to them as well. Not the push fit spade type.

On the pump side Andy, what I am after is an evaluation of the performance which sounds a bit tricky to say at this stage. For a tap to wash up I am not that bothered. But for a shower I want some force behind it. So sure, up the pressure to the 30 psi one. But of course when you put a shower head on there you restrict the flow anyway and up the effect of pressure as long as the pump doesn't just stall. But with the higher pressure pump what I don't want is for it to be too powerful and just drain the tank in a couple of minutes. I am thinking about the 20 psi pump and the 7 LPM flow rate. I have to push the water through the heat exchanger too. So that may sap some power. Hmm.

yes bit tricky to evaluate that at the moment, as it seems to be kaput...

the pump was supposedly self priming, and capable of being 6ft above the water source!
but it didnt primp that easily when 6" above the water tank outlet,

pressure seemed ok, but need to compare with pump on shower unit

Andy, what capacity is your water tank by the way?

I have some options but currently looking at two 35l tanks with a t between them. Not deliberately, just how it might work out. But I suppose I could have one for dringking water only and the other could be, well, grey water if necessary. I'd rather it was all drinking water but a bit like having a sub fuel tank, if you are in doubt about quality, keep the known good stuff separate. And of course of there are two tanks you can pull one out if you need the room and only going on a short foray. Up near Dunblane this coming weekend and probably would take room over water. I could have a small pick up pump which could be dropped into a stream or lake to fill the grey water tank.

Also thinking that you could heat that water in a recirculation sort of way so that you have 35l of hot water in one go. Why? I have absolutely no idea.

C

Its a 70l tank

Thanfully i have a manual hand pump too
I case of elec pump failure. . .

If going into desert again i.e. Critical areas for water like we did in october i woul have additional jerrycans of drinking water in case of failure or contamination of main tank

pump wasn't broken at all,

a silly billy had knocked the earth connection apart... i used terminal connectors and forgot to secure them properly...
and knocked them when fettling the pipe work to stop a leak

joined up, no leaks, and pump purring away nicely, and a good jet of water as i seem to have got rid of the air pocket too

good pressure

Back