Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My Hilux Build

Christmas presents for the Hilux
777943faac9841b56fe59b23d9b13abf.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You just got to love loads off new goodies to bolt on

Got to work fitting the snorkel over the last couple days
using holesaw even more scary than when I fitted snorkel to Wugg, as Hilux is only 1 year old...

2014-12-28 12.24.30 (Medium).jpg

2014-12-28 12.33.06 (Medium).jpg

2014-12-28 14.45.14 (Medium).jpg

Nice job Andy. Need to get out on the lanes again soon I think ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Now its got the 2" lift, could you go up a tyre size from 265/70s? Or is the steering lock likely to be a problem with scrubbing on full lock?

And......whats the height from ground level to the underside of the cill? I know this isnt ground clearance as such cos of the diffs, but interested to compare it to my Prado.

With any luck I'll have ordered mine by tomorrow afternoon :)

Pete

All ordered :)

Just got to sell the Prado now, which is going to be hard to do, its in my top 2 of all-time favourites and I dont want to see it go :(

Maybe I can come up with a cunning plan that ends up with me keeping both.......

Good news wobbly - let the mods begin

Not sure what that height is, I can measure later

Sticking with stock tyre diameter on this vehicle, I don't want to compromise on acceleration/performance by increasing tyre diameter and braking performance
I used to notice these weren't so good on Colorado when I put the taller tyres on
Taller tyres may scrub on mud flaps, people often cut a bit out of them or remove them

Hi Pete. Ground to bottom of sill clearance is about 19" a bit less if you include that vertical metal seam just below the sill

Cool, thanks.

Christmas should be good this year :)

Only issues I had with hilux when I got it and went on green lanes in stock form, were factory tyres not much good but traction control kept me moving, the factory skid plates are much thinner than originals on a Colorado and towbar and that under-run bar at back really reduce the departure angle. I sorted all 3 since then and it's been great
By running with BFG At's on greenlanes now and fitting asfir skid plates and replacing factory rear bumper, under-run bar and towbar with an ARB rear bumper with receiver hitch :)

Fitted the 140 litre long ranger fuel tank today to replace the factory one. A fiddly process at times getting things lined up and it is heavy at 38kg to lift up. And I forgot to remove the blanking plug in the filler tube on the tank... When I painted the tank I left the blanking plugs in place so they were no longer so obvious. Silly mistake cost me 40 mins of scratched hands removing the filler tube hose and jubilee clips in a very tight space with one hand.

Should have a 700-800 mile range now, capacity has gone up 60litres from 80 litres the original tank held.
Low fuel light comes on at 25 litres remaining, I could change this by tweaking the float arm in tank, but I am in no hurry to remove the tank again to do this :)
So when low fuel light comes on, I know I can drive another 100miles or so

b0511a11b6ba7947ac81648cd8073887.jpg

Jet helping

dfd4cee1fab17474cab980c88fad753e.jpg

The pesky plug I forgot to remove...

d254946ff385799fb61fc3e85b7e2e16.jpg

3c34d50e28e68f78a50b98db0d89b113.jpg

And finished
Not much to see, although the new tank does sit lower than the original.
Long ranger also do a smaller 128l model for hilux which has 15mm better clearance for people who plan on doing a lot of rock crawling
79e9fbbb3cdd8ec20d81703fd5de5be5.jpg

Last edited:
Packing the Hilux for a camping and fishing trip around Scotland, first time I have fitted the roof basket I made last year when roof tent is also in place. Much more streamline than the box I had before.

a80f64699a79baa6706ce76cf8cb1d32.jpg

It does look a lot neater.

Streamlined, nows theres a glass half-full sort of guy!

Oooh good. Does this mean another of your excellent trip reports on the horizon???:dance:

The deflectors are from hardtopsuk, about £60 inc vat and del.

They are good quality and really secure, that 3M tape is good, just ensure you do a dry run first, cos oce theyre on, theyre on!

Started fitting a 100w solar panel on top of RTT
Need to finish off the mounting and add a wind spoiler on front of it
And tidy up the wiring and feed the wiring into car. Remembering to leave slack for when tent is up :)

ed9872af0e8bd3849b28fb65f8ba562f.jpg

0dcbfc6838e2e22b6889a20474264533.jpg

Testing it hooked upto the ctek solar input
3f8b1b162063a5fadd4a3fcd973f7af9.jpg

Nice Andy. I'd like to get mine up there but it slots behind the rear seats and only comes out when I need it. If I got a rigid one, I'd like to mount it like that. Very smart.

Thanks Chris. I spent ages looking for a panel which was under 1m long and still 100w. Since I wanted it to stay flush with top of the tent. Mounted it using a combination of home made aluminium brackets to the channel section on tent top, for front and rear of the panel. And sides bolted on plastic solar panel caravan mounts, which i will stick to tent using sika flex.

Not sure if I will really need it, unless camped up for 2-3 days in one spot, but running a 18litre waeco freezer and a 50l waeco fridge does draw quite a bit. Got a 190ah battery in back.
But the ctek has the solar input and I like buying gadgets :)

Back