Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My new Hilux.

I cant touch the suspension for 12 months - a condition of the gap insurance cover is that it is unmodified, so my first two mods will be a ceiling binnacle and a truckman top, but tbh I've hardly driven it yet, still loving the Prado....

134 miles in 9 days, albeit 2.5 it was having a tantrum, and that includes 3 visits to the dealer, about 60 miles in total !

It's not really comparing like with like comparing the landcruiser ride with the hilux. one is an SUV with soft IFS/coils, the other is a commercial vehicle, with significantly greater carrying capacity, that has old style leafs on the rear. It's unrealistic to expect it to ride like a modern landcruiser.

You will struggle fitting 16 inch wheels to an invincible. They have bigger brake calipers. People have managed it but it takes a lot of pissing about with different wheels as only a few have the required offset and often some modification is needed.

The other option is to use spacers. Personally I don't like those because you have wheel nuts you can't see attaching the spacer to the hub, and you can't easily see the spacer to check for damage (it's not unknown for them to crack). Because of their inherent weakness I think they are even less suited to an expedition truck.

In terms of expedition use, as standard as possible is always best. When a part fails, it's nearly always the after market part. I can see spacers being a recipe for disaster

I don't like spacers either but found -35 offset steels at extreme offset.com , a uk website , no point in window shopping phone them . Offset alloys are much harder to find and my search led me to American Chevy fit aftermarket alloys (6 stud) which were confirmed by the seller to be a direct fit pdc and backspace wise for my collie . Bigger caliber would mean you would have to do your own investigation but I'm sure there's something out there .

I looked at fitting 16 inch but it was a nightmare due to the calipers, and it was only as i wanted some mud terrains, managed to squeeze them in on the original rim just removed the mud flaps. And as for the suspension, yes its leafso you'll never get landcruiser ride, but it is better with weight in, stops it bouncing as much but still a bit harsh
should try the 79 its got more leaves than a 10ton DAF, and you know youve hit a speed bump ! But it will carry 1.2 t.

i think a pick up is a good overland base vehicle, pros and cons as ever with different trucks but i like the cab being separate to the 'load'
stan

The LC Colorado 16" alloys fit the hilux perfectly with no mods, they have 15 offset compared to the factory 30mm. So stuck out more by 15mm, but still well within the wheel arches. No fouling on brake calipers

I find the suspension ride on my hilux better than the Colorado. Collie had factory then OME suspension, same with the hilux, fitted OME after 6months from new. But I prefer the firmer suspension the hilux has, so maybe just me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Here is a photo with collie alloys fitted to my invincible
40a205a20a2aa5f59be360bcff2a8979.jpg

I have 4 collie alloys with BFG AT tyres fitted that came off WUGG if interested

265/75/16 I will try and get some pics of them later

The BFG AT I have on my Hilux are 265/70-16.
The slightly taller 265/75-16 would need a suspension lift and front mud flap removal to stop the tyres hitting wheel arches on full steering lock. I tried them on my hilux before I fitted lift and they did touch the wheel arch on lock. But sold them with Wugg to cwc before I fitted suspension lift to my hilux so never tried them after that. But many people on hilux clubs have fitted 265/75-16 and it's well discussed :)

Lift is on the list, but losing the mudflaps would be a bummer, i reckon they go a long way to keeping the front end clean.

New upper control arms from, for e.g., Snake Racing in Oz would solve that little issue and sort any caster issues from the lift ...

Worth doing a bit of research on hilux forums wobbly, e.g. New hilux.net and hpoc to find out opinions

Iirc your not one to name your trucks but if you do consider it may I suggest "Chameleon" because that's the oddest colour paint I've ever seen :icon-cool: from 20 ft away its black , from 10ft possibly blue , right up close possibly green and I'm sure in the midday sun the official grey colour is there to . Very nice truck alround IMO the new models have a road presence that the lux has been missing for a few years .

Finally had some time to compile my initial shopping list.

My finance company wont allow any mechanical mods in first 12 months, so at the moment the suspension has to wait.

This is what I am working on:

Hard-top - probably the Truckman S Series which has side opening windows. Roofload is 55kg. I did consider a purpose built top but have decided against it as I'm not intending to fit a rooftent.

Outback roof console.

Plastic load liner.

Underbody protection kit - possibly the hardtopsuk or formula4, the latter is only £444.00 inc vat.

Wind deflectors - I found these excellent on the landcruiser, used the aircon far less as it was much more comfy to have the windows open.

Formula 4 also sell a lightbar that goes above the front number plate, I was thinking of getting one and using the central hole for a vertical pole or aerial as I cant work out where the hilux ends and the car in front starts......

Will add photos as I fit stuff.

So far I'm happy with the hilux - its done about 500 miles, and on the first full tank returned 28mpg, so an improvement of about 4mpg over the landcruiser. It was a bit sluggish to start but is gradually wearing in.

Pete

Look forward to the photos

Mine used to do 28mpg, but that dropped with AT tyres and roof tent etc

Managed 26-27 over winter when it was in winter tyres and no roof tent

Underbody protection.

Two options:
http://www.hardtopsuk.com/our-produ...ux-complete-vehicle-protection-kit/index.html

Its £575 plus vat.

http://www.formula4.co.uk/toyota-hilux-mk67-2005-on-alloy-under-body-guard-kit
Its £444 inc vat.

Given the £200 price difference Ive gone for the cheaper one, altho the expensive one does look pretty good, maybe the extra cost would have been worth it, but I'm not using the truck offroad, overlanding is the aim, so the cheaper version should be fine.

I've gone for the Carryboy G3 hardtop - its special order and 14 week wait, but it is unusual in that it has a light fitting in the rear corners (it doesnt work as the lights are removed for UK market) and I can fit led strobes in them rather than on the roof, which I dont like.

The overhead console is coming direct from Arbil, 2 week wait apparently.

All about to start.....

Pete

Loadliner arrived and fitted.

Underbody kit also here, will get some photos tomorrow :)

Well, not the biggest mod ever.....
e2d66604ec1d2bbaa00797c3bdda64cd.jpg
7e5a58b2064163d801a518ebdf16098d.jpg

In fact, a bit like playing spot the difference :)

Back