Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My new Hilux.

wobbly

Garage
Continuing the theme of landcruiser owners converting to Hilux, Ive bought myself a new Hilux Invincible.

I thought long and hard about it, I had a 2004 Ford Ranger which, whilst it was faultless, I was pleased to change for a 1996 Prado, so going back to a quadcab was a bit unsettling.

First impressions are good, and the 3.0 d4d is pleasant - doesnt have the same low power range as the Prado, but cruises at a higher speed, which for the type of overlanding I have in mind is important.

Plans, well, some of the stuff Andy has done are on my list:

Overhead binnacle
30/40mm lift

Tyres - it has Bridgestone Dueler HTs on 17" alloys, I will look to move to a 16" wheel but with same overall height tyre but in an AT pattern, as the duelers are a road tyre.

Truckcab - Truckman with gullwing windows is my ambition, I dont intend to get a rooftent so dont think I need a metal cab.

Currently I have no plans to sell the Prado, although it may be that as I get used to the hilux I will sell it to fund mods.

0b0116e031bd9426477ca264f7d03fd6.jpg

That does look very smart indeed Pete. :icon-cool:

I've always thought that pickups were the way forward for overlanding: As vehicles such as the 80/90/100 series etc. get older and harder to find/maintain, you really need to have very deep pockets to buy a 150/200 and modify it. Also so much electrickery to potentially go wrong in the middle of nowhere........

Look forward to seeing this one evolve....

Congrats! Hope you have years of faultless miles and big smiles!!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Very nice, and a good colour. I look forward to seeing the build progress.
You will find the side steps get dented and pushed back a bit from hitting rocksteps etc
But less so after a lift

I thought about sliders, but the extra weight and also was concerned about them preventing side airbags from going off, if I made my own, since ARB ones etc on other vehicles are tested for this

Is it a manual or auto ?

Have fun :)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Very nice indeed and ditto on the colour. Are you planning a modular pod for the over landing project based on the Truckman top so it could be removed for normal duties?

Cheers all.

Its called Deep Titanium and looks black, buts its a metalflake (remember that, from the 80s !!) really dark blue, but oddly dvla call it grey.

Its an auto, Im too lazy for a manual box.

The rear box.....I'm looking at a truckman with gullwing windows for side access, but am going to have my overlanding kit in hd plastic boxes.

I have a batwing awning to go on it, just got to work out if I can fix it to the truck cab and the rear cab or if flexing is an issue.

Pete

Nice one. I like your thinking, sounds appropriately 'keep it simple'.

Mine is an auto too, I find the power delivery is great. You will find as engine runs in a bit it improves. I thought it was slower at first at the low end, but soon realised the Hilux is just much quieter and more refined and at 60 it felt slower than the Colorado because of this. But it does accelerate significantly faster and the 5 speed auto box is a lot better. I also like the fact it automatically drops a gear on hill road descents if you touch the brakes so engine brakes

Sorry to go off on a tangent but is the 5 speed autobox in the Hilux the same as in the 120? (which I believe is also the one in the later 100s).

Bit of a glitch today.

First warm day, so I put window down. The VSC & TC warning lights came on, and windows lost power.

Couldnt even find the fuses, never mind check them......

AA came out, friendly guy, he's done some offroading in Spain, the Pico's area :)

Eventually traced it to a broken relay in fusebox 3.......

Now window is back up its useable again, but need to speak to Toyota dealer on Monday to get new relay.

Teething problem I guess, will be interesting to see how easy it is to get replacement part.

I think its odd that the power windows, Tc, VSC and abs all work off a shared relay, but the AA guy reckons thats normal now.

Apparently Ford are using fuses with three legs, to save space.

Very nice. Keep seeing them parked outside toyota next to a new landcruiser, can't convince the missus we need to swap the beemer.

Well, visited Toyota today.

The technician reckons that when the alarm ecu was fitted at the docks on arrival they didnt resecure the earth properly, so he's re-done it.

Fingers crossed all now fine, but its a bit disconcerting to see the electrickery on it.

Back to good stuff, like scouring internet for goodies!!

Hope all will be OK now, better for issue to crop up now rather than on a trip.

I have the same car, the only thing I don't like about it is the suspension, but there are options for that. if you are interested you could pm me, I am soon doing some modification.

now running Fox adjustable but still that doesn't give me a Landcruiser feeling..

I hope to run air suspension on my Lux soon and also 4 link suspension

Back