• Yes, keep its racing heritage

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • No, it now a motor caravan

Votes: 7 53.8%
  • Too boy racer pretentious nonsense

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
HA, deffo not user error. It's irritating enough that I first have to upload to flikr to host the pictures as they do not upload to this site. I've used the "upload file" I get 99%... then upload error. So instead of taking 5 mins to post it takes me 15.. Nah, I'd rather be driving my VW !

Ahh that old thing. Why don't you just drag your picture to the post like we do?

Tried that several times... only lets me drop one photo then stops. Like I said, I've ranted about it before that's why I started my own blog in the end.

Hmm, not sure the problem is at our end. Not being flippant there old buddy old pal, but look at how many pictures people post on a thread. I can drag and drop loads. Something clearly not working correctly.

When I'm uploading many photos at once quite a few dont make it, think it's the size of them. And nobody wants to fart about changing the resolution.

I take screen shots of the picture then it doesn't contain any real data. Makes it small.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I wanted a rubbing strake down the sides of the truck, which required chamfered ends, thus:
Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 18.23.28.png

Now this caused a problem as the door when opened, was at an angle that didn't allow a magnetic catch to align. After much head scratching, the solution was to extend the length of the chamfer behind the door, keeping the same angle, but recess the magnet into the rubbing strake, at the same angle as the chamfer. (it looks straight in the pic, but it's not)

Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 18.21.07.png

Success! The magnet now sits flush with the keeper in the door, to hold it open. Once finished and painted, you won't even notice the hours of work, head-scratching and ($$$) that went into this solution.

Well in truth taking a screen shot on a Mac isn't a faff. Look how quick it is.

Screenshot 2019-09-16 at 18.46.47.jpg

Spare tyre test... Think they're too big as they protrude 25mm each side of box:think:

Screenshot 2019-09-18 at 09.39.26.png

Put them on a frame that hydraulically squeezes them together a little. You’ve got the hydraulics, an extra ram and pivoted frames should be very little extra at this stage.
If you use a double pilot operated check valve on the ram, it will lock in position (or a single valve if you use a spring return single ended ram).
Or put one slightly above the other diagonal fashion.

Whilst very practicable, it's a bit of a over engineered solution to a simple problem. Also if they were squished I think over time in the heat etc they'd go a bit out of round like tyres stored on racks. How much would you have to elevate one of them to the diagonal to get a reduction in width? And the big question is how you you feel about just going with one spare and the equipment to make a repair at some convenient point in a town etc.

Sorry Rich - missed the exact point I was making about diagonal.

The tyres do not easily deform as they are massively strong 22ply. To squeeze an unmounted tyre that much would need a huge force, notwithstanding the damage to the tyre's bead and rim.

As an aside, when I was researching new tyres and could only find tyres that were DOT 12 or older (that's 7 years old), I wrote to Continental and asked them to clarify tyre degradation over 7 years.
The official lengthy email response from them, was that its not the DOT date that's as important as HOW the tyres had been stored. A correctly stored tyre that is 10 years old they said, will in fact have suffered less degradation and would be safer than buying a 12-month old used tyre, even with plenty tread left. Correct storage was therefore of paramount importance.

The solution is for the motorbike and the rear tyres. Not over engineered as it needs to lift close to 400kg and does 3 functions. Bike lift/spar tyre lift/garage door.

Many heavy truck blow outs are not always repairable, so going with only 1 spare (14.r20's are not easy to source anyway as they are military tyres) is a non option to the places we travel. Look at the tyre below!

So the screen shot picture now doesn't upload !!!!!!:angry-screaming:

Screenshot 2019-09-18 at 10.18.36.png

That's it I give up.

.png files are usually fine, but try changing your capture setting to jpg instead.

So what is the correct way to store tyres? I realise entirely off-topic, but morbidly curious

So what is the correct way to store tyres? I realise entirely off-topic, but morbidly curious

I've done quite a lot of research on this over the last 2 years.
From the American Tire (sic) society - Science and Technology on lifetime prediction of tires (sic) with regard to oxidative ageing,DLO effect, accelerated ageing, finite element method, durability testing ...

Conclusion: - Tires(sic) should be stored upright, in a cool sunlight free, temperature stable environment, free from Ozone interference.

Your basement/cellar that's dry and cool.

Ok, do the tyres sit as seen or do they need to retract into the confines of the garage?

If they sit outside on the rack, there’s a few options, in order of sticky outedness.
1, angle them both so they stick out in the middle.
2, hang them on a tube slightly smaller than the central hole, both on the same one, one behind the other.
3, the same as 2, but facing sideways rather than rearwards and then fill the remaining space with, I dunno, a locker or something, tyre machine, dishwasher, lion cage, you get the idea.

All stick out beyond the rear far more than you intended. Otherwise, how about giving the truck a fatter rear end?

If you intend for them to live inside the garage then scrub the above. I’m guessing this is the case otherwise you wouldn’t be too concerned about 25mm of tyre sticking out either side.

One last effort, Mount the bike higher up with one spare below it in the middle, between the wheels then one in the original position with a skinnier locker next to it so it looks like it’s meant to be.

No good? Then I think I’m out of ideas I’m afraid!

Ok, do the tyres sit as seen or do they need to retract into the confines of the garage?
SIT AS SEEN

If they sit outside on the rack, there’s a few options, in order of sticky outedness.
1, angle them both so they stick out in the middle.[/QUOTE]- CLEVER IDEA
2, hang them on a tube slightly smaller than the central hole, both on the same one, one behind the other.[/QUOTE]- THOUGHT OF THAT
3, the same as 2, but facing sideways rather than rearwards and then fill the remaining space with, I dunno, a locker or something, tyre machine, dishwasher, lion cage, you get the idea.[/QUOTE] -CLEVER IDEA

All stick out beyond the rear far more than you intended. Otherwise, how about giving the truck a fatter rear end? [/QUOTE] AT LEGAL MAXIMUM

If you intend for them to live inside the garage then scrub the above. I’m guessing this is the case otherwise you wouldn’t be too concerned about 25mm of tyre sticking out either side.[/QUOTE]CORRECT

One last effort, Mount the bike higher up with one spare below it in the middle, between the wheels then one in the original position with a skinnier locker next to it so it looks like it’s meant to be.[/QUOTE]THE TYRE ABOVE THE BIKE WOUOD WORK - CLEVER IDEA

No good? Then I think I’m out of ideas I’m afraid![/QUOTE]

A*. Go to the top of the class!

Back