Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My new trailer....

stumog

Country Flag
england
So I wanted to build my own trailer but in all fairness I don't have time between now and when I need it. Been looking for a few months lost a few and ended up with one.

So this weekend was testing. Backed it up Thursday booked Friday off and happy days...

Or not. Leaving home heard a squeak and wondered what it was anyway drive on thinking about it, stopped and checked hubs for heat and all cruiser and trailer about the same.

Ok drive on

Squeaky now and again my mind is doing flips of what it can be. Decided it can only be the bearings. Stop and check now driven for 45 mins ish. All fine still.

Squeak squeak we go.

Short hope on motorway and pull in at first services. One Trailer hub is pretty hot. Found problem.

So decide to go home and strip down and get bearings. All apart easy in no time.

Back on the road at 3:40 bit later and now going to hit the M5 south Friday traffic great.

Sitting in traffic gets on my nerves but all is well. I am on edge the entire journey.

Weather is getting worse and worse as we head for North Devon.

Get there in the poring rain at around 8pm.

Start setting up trailer tent and oztent for me, my wife, 2 year-old daughter and the mother inlaw.

Did the oztent easy ttt up no worries. Ask my wife to put the bedding in the tent for us while I walk around the field in the rain with daughter.

M.i.l is running across the field shouting that my wife has her foot stuck in the leather??? ( she is foreign) so I run towards are camp thinking what do we have that's leather and she could get her foot stuck?

So get there can't find her so start calling and get the response in am here....
What flipping use is that. She is now crying too...
So go around to the tent to find my wife half in half out with her foot jammed in the ladder.

So it was ladder not leather...

So I pick up the tent to take my wife's weight off the ladder that has trapped her foot in-between rungs. She only has flip flops on.

Then foot pops out and she climbs in tent, now I can't stop the tent heading towards the floor so shouting at her to get out quick as I am not sure what's happening.

She out now stood on the side so I put her in the cruiser and looking at her toes...

Big toe you can see the bone, nice just what you want, calming her down took a bit so now to look at the toes as there was no blood coming out.

She can move but very sore and swelling up as you watch.

Ice pack and wine is a great healer.

Route cause make sure the top of the Trailer is locked before you enter.

So we decide to stay there not go to A+E see how it is in the morning.

Still raining.

Wake up in the morning at 6:30 to make a bottle in the rain nice. Then we were playing on swings and jumping in puddles will my wife had a lay in.

Till around 8:30 go back to the camp to find out that her foot is much better and doesn't need treatment.

Went to charge phone nothing.
Check fuse on the aux In the back blown very odd as nothing been used on it for ages.

Slow breakfast and messing about with stuff we decide to hit the beach.

Pack stuff up get ready to go jump in the cruiser and drive off. No starty start. No click or anything did have dash lights.

Volt gauge says 12.5 in main battery and 12.2 in aux in car. Now nothing running off aux in cruiser this weekend.

How odd. Jump start off Shaynes vitara nothing. Hmmmm

Played with the voltmeter for a bit and some head scratching only to find a 10a fuse gone. No I have no idea what fuse does what in mine as no key to locations or hand book.

How can a 10a fuse stop a mighty 80 in its tracks can't be that.

Fires up first time result. Off to the beach.

Lovely walk and paddle but did forget my wetsuit so no surfing....

So go back to camp nice beers Bbq and lots to drink.
Top fire and chats great evening and things got alot better soon forgot about all the troubles over the past 2 days.

Back to the trailer on this tread.

I am going to do a few mods which I will document here as I didn't do a build thread on my cruiser and not enough trailer builds about.

So here are some pictures to go on with.
DSC_0777.JPG
DSC_0776.JPG

Starting her young enough?
DSC_0779.JPG
DSC_0779.JPG
DSC_0791.JPG
DSC_0791.JPG
DSC_0792.JPG
DSC_0793.JPG
DSC_0794.JPG

Sounds like an episode of fawlty but at least the sun came out to greet you home . Nice looking trailer Stu :thumbup:

Looking good Stu.

Sounds like an eventful outing. Let me know next time and I'll try and join you ;)

As I said by text always make the most of a bad job. Looks like everything came good in the end mate.

Nice trailer. Bit more excitement than normal but looks like it so came together in the end.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Good to see another trailer owner Stu. Looking forward to more pics and mods. Trailers are so much more enjoyable when it's dry. No fun paddling around in the mud. But great that you can set them up on tarmac if needs be.

First question.

How can I stop the trailer getting so dirty when travelling along. I did less the a mile on country tracks see tarmac and it's was minging.

Thinking of some sort of curtain looking thing but not sure on material?

Ben made some detachable mudflaps on his LJ70 thread a while back , good luck finding the right page though !

Yeah thought about that but really don't like mud flaps ( sorry Ben).

Thinking of like a net curtain across the front but can't find like the seed net material here.

Nice trailer Stu. :thumbup:

A lot of people over here have one big wide mud flap across the entire rear of the car to stop their expensive caravans and camper trailers getting blasted with stones and mud on dirt roads.

They dont look pretty, but they work. :)

Nice trailer Stu. :thumbup:

A lot of people over here have one big wide mud flap across the entire rear of the car to stop their expensive caravans and camper trailers getting blasted with stones and mud on dirt roads.

They dont look pretty, but they work. :)

As much as anything, the full width guards (and then the stone guards on the front of the trailer) are to save the back window of the tow vehicle from stones coming up, hitting the trailer and then the window...

To stop road grime Stu, you're going to need to run mud flaps... don't need to be massive, but they'll stop the spray... or just don't use it when it's been wet... :p

Hope the wife is on the road to recovery Stu, I don't like the idea of my bones being visible, so mucho sympathy for her.

Learning curves can be painful, I hate flip-flops, sandals or anything that goes slip-slidey on my feet in the wet. I'd rather be barefoot or otherwise in sturdy boots.

The trailer looks ace and the whole rig is impressive, nice one.

Fuses should be called "confuses", I never know what blows them or what each of them really do, even though I have the ID label on the dash fuse cover.

The other day my 80's window motors went dead. On first impressions, the window motors, the heater fan, the lockers (all 3 of them), the cigarette lighter and the wipers were out. The fuse cover shows separate fuses for the heater fan, the cigarette lighter, and a big one for the lockers.

I found the 10 Amp 'Gauge" fuse was blown, replaced it, and everything sprang to life.

WTF... it's all a mystery to me, electrickery.

Or just get one of those portable shower thingies and wash it off?

Try scaffold netting or archery backdrop netting. Both pretty tough.

Like this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/331877968323
op

I think I will get a shower/ hot water boiler at some point.

Clive I firmly belive the flip flops my wife had on saved her toes. If she was bare foot it would have been a different story.

Couple of changes I have put my howling moon tourer on the trailer as we left the door open on the ezi in the accident and got a nice wet bed.

I think the Hm is a lot better quality tgen the ezi. The ladder especially is alot easier to climb bare foot.

I also added a box which will be for light stuff that doesn't matter being up turn once you open the lid. I have hinged the Bix like this so that I can make coffee and bottles through the window.

I have put a light on it for cooking and looking in the fridge. These lights have certainly dropped in price I got 4x 48w lights for £26 free post from a UK supplier. I will add one to the other side and a reverse light on the 80.

DSC_0795.JPG
DSC_0804.JPG
DSC_0795.JPG
DSC_0804.JPG

Not much going on at the moment due to a house move so packing lots up. I did manage to stick some new shoes on the trailer today.

Got the wheels of eblag for next to nothing and had the tyres.

Gone for 245 70 16. Need a spare if anybody has a cooper at3 lying around.

20160807_151948.jpg 20160807_151942.jpg 20160806_153341.jpg

Get yourself an eberspacher mate for the hot water and shower. I've bought a couple more to have another play around with them. They should work a treat in the trailer.

I didn't realise I hadn't posted any pictures when I went to seaton in Cornwall. Here is a few.

20160715_215042.jpg 20160715_195906.jpg 20160714_161352.jpg 20160714_161348.jpg 20160714_135909.jpg

Back