Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

My South African 80 Series

ByronJ

Country Flag
wales
After a lot of frustrating attempts to source an 80 series in South Africa I reached an agreement to buy an 80 of a chap in Durban who turned out to be a member of this club! (@warrenpfo). Warren had bought this grey import 80 when living in the UK and took it back to SA when he returned 3 years ago.

It is a 24v diesel auto – just what I was looking for. The interior is brown, which I though I would not like but it has grown on me. It does blend well with the African dust :).

With my luggage consisting of 43kg of car bits and 3Kg of clothes I flew into Durban on the 9th of November and Warren picked me up from the airport. We spend an hour or so chatting and sorting the paperwork. I hardly looked at the car – not much point really as I had already transferred the cash to him! He handed me the keys and I drove off to a B&B for a much needed rest – I had been travelling for over 24 hours.

The next morning my partner, Zelda, flew over from Cape Town, I picked her up from the airport and we drove directly to an Air Con place to get that sorted for our drive to Cape Town. One leaky pipe fixed and a new filter/drier later we were on our way with lovely cold air con.

As we crossed the Drakensberg mountains we were treated to torrential rain followed by hailstones and I did wonder if it would have been better to wait until we got home to get the air con sorted...

The trip to Cape Town was excellent, the car drove well and stopped off at a couple of parks on our way across giving the Howling Moon roof tent a try.

Here it is erected for the first time:

IMG_4645.JPG

The tent is currently mounted backwards as I suppose as the idea is you climb into it via the extension - which is currently over the bonnet. I hope to sort that out when I get the tent off the roof over the Christmas break. Great tent though. It is the "Stargazer" version. When the rain fly is off there are panels that can be zipped open so there is only Mozzie netting between you and the sky. I thought it a marketing ploy but it realy does help to keep the tent cool at night and you can see the stars! It is possible to unzip the Mozzie netting but cannot imagine doing that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Photos then Byron. Come on. You know how this place works ......

Here are some general pictures of the car tucked up in its new parking space in Cape Town:

IMG_4818.JPG

Bit of a "stealth winch" fitting. It is a Goodwinch 12.5, which has the same motor as the 9.5 but with lower gearing.

IMG_4812.JPG

Not really sure what happened to the licence plate holder and badges but I already knew they were not there. Guess I will have to sort that out in time as currently the licence plate is attached to the spare wheel with cable ties :grimacing:.

The eagle-eyed among you have probably already noticed that the car is now registered in Cape Town, we have even taxed and insured it as well :sunglasses:.

Last edited:
Nice to see an 80 series in it's natural habitat ......not feeling trapped in a city ;-)

:fearscream:Once back in Cape Town I started on a list of jobs I needed doing. First up was to get the DS front window working as it currently looked like this:

IMG_4690.JPG

I knew the motor was burnt out and so I came over with a replacement motor from Karl. Trouble was the whole window winder assembly was an after market unit so the Toyota unit did not fit! I had to splash out for a new Toyoto regulator :fearscream: and fitted the 2nd hand motor to it. It is great having a working window though and the inside of the car feels a good place to be :). The interior is in great shape so the missing door panel was a real eyesore.

IMG_4692.JPG

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Next job was to fit new rear bump stops:

IMG_4703.JPG

With the car jacked up I could give the underneath a good look over. The chassis and body is remarkably free from rust. The rear axle is crusty but no real problems there. I found one hole hidden behind some baked on mud at the back of the DS rear wheel arch:

IMG_4706.JPG

There are several patches of surface rust on the body that need treating but nothing to worry about. So I am happy :).

Last edited:
A great result Byron after a semi blind deal. I like the stealth winch too.
I thought you were trying to type the title with a south african accent!!

Why didn't you use the mechanism I sent mate ?

Truck looks nice.

Hi Byron, I have met Warren several times & know the Lc a bit obviously when it was over here, he used to live near to me.

Why didn't you use the mechanism I sent mate ?

Truck looks nice.

Thanks Karl. I wish I had taken the mechanism you sent but I really did take out 43Kg of car bits and tools so left the mechanism behind as thought it was not needed - an expensive mistake as it turned out. Though the motor works great :grinning:.

Hi Byron, I have met Warren several times & know the Lc a bit obviously when it was over here, he used to live near to me.

Hi Brian, well well. Small world :openmouth:. The 80 has clearly had a hard life in the past but Warren did a lot of work to baseline the car so I have high hopes that it will serve me well. Engine, diffs and gearbox all sound good.

The car is not as responsive as I would expect and the gear changes are a little late but otherwise it drives well. I suspect the fuel pump needs a tweak but it is not a big issue so will be on my "C" list.

The car pulls very well and we climbed a famously difficult sand hill this past weekend with no issues - fully loaded with tent etc. The next three cars to have a go at the hill failed to make the climb... So not shabby at all :).

Hi Byron - glad it all worked out for you. We are back home in Blighty now - you can see some pictures of our Africa trip on Trip Reports section under Hedgehog

hi Byron, the roof top tent should swing open out to one side, with an attached ladder as support, if your on hard ground and cant get tent pegs in
20170706_173257.jpg
20170809_053905.jpg
hook the guy ropes under the bottom legs of the ladder We like ours but did get an extra bit of foam to cover the matress, still folds closed with the extra foam in there

hi Byron, the roof top tent should swing open out to one side, with an attached ladder as support, if your on hard ground and cant get tent pegs in View attachment 137969 View attachment 137970 hook the guy ropes under the bottom legs of the ladder We like ours but did get an extra bit of foam to cover the matress, still folds closed with the extra foam in there
Thanks Stuart. The ladder that came with the tent is too short to support it when it is swung over the side. I assume I can get an extension somewhere, will have to look around. I would prefer the to hang over the back if possible as that is where I do the cooking on the tailboard and a zip on awning would be very helpful for the strong winds.

Hi Byron - glad it all worked out for you. We are back home in Blighty now - you can see some pictures of our Africa trip on Trip Reports section under Hedgehog

Hi Steve, I have been admiring your pictures as well as following you on FB; that is one heck of a trip you guys did :openmouth:.

Thanks for the tip re Tracks4Africa. I picked up some of their paper maps plus a copy of their online map of Africa to run on my iPad.

A couple of weekends ago we followed in your footsteps for a short while by driving from Ceres to Wupperthal via Eselbank. We enjoyed the route so much we drove back home the same way :).

I didn't realise this was Warrens 80. It came from local to me and is a nice truck.

Good luck with it.

What has Warren got now?

I didn't realise this was Warrens 80. It came from local to me and is a nice truck.

Good luck with it.

What has Warren got now?

Thanks Stu. I think Warren is looking for a 100 or 120 series. Certainly something more "car like" than the 80 I believe :).

I thought it might be you Byron that bought the truck. Wishing you many happy miles!

A word of warning about the African Sun and external storage - It's best to rig up some shade so that you don't bake the car's paint etc.

Otherwise enjoy!

I thought it might be you Byron that bought the truck. Wishing you many happy miles!

A word of warning about the African Sun and external storage - It's best to rig up some shade so that you don't bake the car's paint etc.

Otherwise enjoy!

Thank you. Good point about the shade :think:

Back