Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

my story; removing the cylinder head 80 series 1HD-T

Well done Lockie ! I was getting worried that all had ended in disaster. Yes VERY rewarding " driving" an engine you have built yourself. Unfortunately with reliability and complexity of modern engines not many people experience this feeling now.

Does it use any oil ? How many miles on it now ?

It hasn't used any oil actually... well not enough that have to put more in since driving.

Don't know the conversion, but I've done 550kms

When would you (or anyone else) suggest I change the oil next?

I would think 500 miles for the first oil change.

Looks like you've cracked it. It won't suddenly start burning oil now.

Last edited:
It hasn't used any oil actually... well not enough that have to put more in since driving.

Don't know the conversion, but I've done 550kms

When would you (or anyone else) suggest I change the oil next?

At 500 miles, that's 250 km to go then... :thumbup:

Well that will work out well... I can buy my redarc dual gauge this week, and then do my oil next week!

Doesn't get driven much during the week. I'm either in my work car or travelling with my boss.

Another little question for everyone.. how long should I wait before I take it to get a professional tune?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
I don't think that will make much difference. I assume you are not referring to the pump timing. The only tuning you can do is to take the fuel pump off and take it for calibration where it should be calibrated to factory settings. You could check the tappet clearances at same time as first oil change. You can't calibrate the pump on the car. Apart from these I can't think of anything else you could tune.

Yeah Clive out to be a law about it. In fact there is when we were forced to change to metric but they did'nt bother with miles or pints. At least I don't get confused in the pub................easily.

Ha, ha!

I've been here in metric-land for 16 years now, and when I'm asked my height, I still (instinctively) say 5-10 and a half.

They look at me stupid :|

Still don't remember what that is in meters, 1.82 or something...

For some reason, I find weights easier to convert, I know I'm 79 kg and I've forgotten what I was in old money... stones & lbs.

There you go...

When working in civil engineering, in the U.K., all measurements after metrication were expressed in mm. Even a road width was expressed in mm, and despite the large number of digits in each number, it made good sense because there was never a doubt as to the unit.

Here in metric-land, the first thing I noticed on the drawings, were mixed units, some were in mm, others in cm and the longitudinal plans were in km with decimals of kms.

It's really odd, because it's all the same unit, depending on where you place the decimal point, but they seem determined to create problems from something so simple.

In the old days (and they weren't good) we were measuring steel reinforcement from bending schedules, in ft and ins. We then had to convert the measured length of the various diameters to weight, using a factor expressed in tons, cwt, qtrs and lbs/ yard, and then multiply that weight by a pricing rate expressed in £/s/d.

That was 1971 and we didn't even have calculators, let alone computers. All calcs were done by mental arithmetic or a slide rule, and we had literally tens of thousands of individual calculations to do.

Something like that is so easy now, length in m, weight factor kg/m and price rate €/kg and we have spreadsheets :lol:

Gotta laugh, or we'd cry ...

Hahaha I don't mind at all... I figure it's pretty much done and dusted anyway!

However I did order my new redarc EGT&boost gauge today! Little bit excited it have it installed see what tempts I'm running... I know the boost isnt overly essential at the moment, but it's a 2 in 1 gauge and it's always good to monitor these things. (So I've been told anyway)

Lockie's too busy listening to his engine Clive.

I was looking round a hardware shop in Spain and noticed all their large brass pipe fittings were imperial size with BSP threads. Why's that Clive ? Leftover from Queen Victoria ? Are all countries the same ?

You've started something now Lockie. hope engine's OK.

And so he should be, I would :lol:

BSP threads are standard in the countries I've visited, here in Romania, Bulgaria, Algeria, the Middle East, most European countries, Scandinavia, don't know about the USA, but I'm guessing they use them, even Wales... :whistle:

Don't know why, but makes sense to use a standard, so why not BSP?

Hahaha I don't mind at all... I figure it's pretty much done and dusted anyway!

However I did order my new redarc EGT&boost gauge today! Little bit excited it have it installed see what tempts I'm running... I know the boost isnt overly essential at the moment, but it's a 2 in 1 gauge and it's always good to monitor these things. (So I've been told anyway)
Well done mate, bet your well chuffed with yourself.:thumbup:

the redarc gauges look mint, nearly bought a 3 in 1 recently, but made do with my old separate vdo boost and egt.

when are you ready to tune the pump? Once shes run in and youve fitted the gauges:icon-biggrin:

I wouldn't mind getting a cross country top mount intercooler before I start playing with extra boost and fuel!
Having said that I don't have a spare $2800 laying around...

Does anyone know what a stock pump can handle??

you've a good way yet before you reach the limits of the stock pump.

after you've fitted your intercooler, 30 psi turbo, high flow air box, 4" intake pipe, custom headers and custom intake manifold, then you can worry about it..

Wow!
That sounds like more the enough for my grand tourer...
I'm not looking to make crazy gains in power and torque... I just want a solid 4x4 that I can do the loop around Australia in! (Eventually)

Back