Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

my tuesday gripe at Toyota

Higgy

Country Flag
denmark
Sent: 02 October 2018 15:19
To: Jeremy Tennent <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Spam] Re: LH04JAM

Hello Jeremy... Well yet another fault with my Landcruiser.. This time a major safety concern, The air bag light is on, and from what I hear this renders the air bag system useless. after expensive diagnostics it turns out to be seat belt pre tensioners. So please bare in mind that this is not a moving or wearing part. it just sits there doing nothing, so blame can not be put on the customer/owner of the vehicle. Its a part designed by Toyota for the safety of passengers that legally should last the life time of the vehicle irrespective of so called misuse / abuse of the vehicle by the owner.. So the question is, Is this the responsibility of the vehicle owner.? This clearly should come under a safety re call.. These parts should never fail irrespective of vehicle age.... Iv recently had Turbo step motor problems, and was quoted just under 3 grand for a new Turbo from Toyota. After removing all components at great expense .. It turns out it was a corroded spade connector... THESE CONNECTORS SHOULD NOT CORRODE AND BREAK OFF... This should also come under a re call. Toyota use to pride them selves on reliability and longevity of their vehicles.. Not any more. I mean no disrespect to you personally.. Please can you forward this to the relevant dept. Many thanks M J Higgins....................... Iv just sent this to Toyota customer care, bit of a wind up really from me to them. But the response could be interesting:lol:

Last edited:
Sent: 02 October 2018 15:19
To: Jeremy Tennent <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: [Spam] Re: LH04JAM

Hello Jeremy... Well yet another fault with my Landcruiser.. This time a major safety concern, The air bag light is on, and from what I hear this renders the air bag system useless. after expensive diagnostics it turns out to be seat belt pre tensioners. So please bare in mind that this is not a moving or wearing part. it just sits there doing nothing, so blame can not be put on the customer/owner of the vehicle. Its a part designed by Toyota for the safety of passengers that legally should last the life time of the vehicle irrespective of so called misuse / abuse of the vehicle by the owner.. So the question is, Is this the responsibility of the vehicle owner.? This clearly should come under a safety re call.. These parts should never fail irrespective of vehicle age.... Iv recently had Turbo step motor problems, and was quoted just under 3 grand for a new Turbo from Toyota. After removing all components at great expense .. It turns out it was a corroded spade connector... THESE CONNECTORS SHOULD NOT CORRODE AND BREAK OFF... This should also come under a re call. Toyota use to pride them selves on reliability and longevity of their vehicles.. Not any more. I mean no disrespect to you personally.. Please can you forward this to the relevant dept. Many thanks M J Higgins....................... Iv just sent this to Toyota customer care, bit of a wind up really from me to them. But the response could be interesting:lol:
can't wait for their reply .

Interesting but: "Its a part designed by Toyota for the safety of passengers that legally should last the life time of the vehicle" I think is incorrect. I believe the official line is that SRS system needs checking after 10 years and items may need renewal. In the case of seat belt tensioners, these can be deployed in the event of hard deceleration, even if the air bags aren't necessarily deployed. I don't know how old your truck is, but unless 2008 or newer, you're probably screwed ;-)

Interesting but: "Its a part designed by Toyota for the safety of passengers that legally should last the life time of the vehicle" I think is incorrect. I believe the official line is that SRS system needs checking after 10 years and items may need renewal. In the case of seat belt tensioners, these can be deployed in the event of hard deceleration, even if the air bags aren't necessarily deployed. I don't know how old your truck is, but unless 2008 or newer, you're probably screwed ;-)
Yeh im aware of all this Dave, I just got to vent some anger somewhere... I know there will be a perfect corporate response from Toyota..

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nice letter be great to how they respond?
I dare have a bet that they wont respond, Im not bothered really, Like I said in the first post, Its just a bit of a wind up/dig.. At Toyota.

Why did the dealer not want the cruiser?

Higgy - was the 120 bought from a dealer? Given the issues you've experienced in a short space of time I would be pushing to return the car. I did that with a 4 year old Ford Ranger I bought - within a week it threw up "check transmission" light and when checked it had loads of fault codes - I returned the vehicle as not being fit for purpose and got a full refund.

Higgy - was the 120 bought from a dealer? Given the issues you've experienced in a short space of time I would be pushing to return the car. I did that with a 4 year old Ford Ranger I bought - within a week it threw up "check transmission" light and when checked it had loads of fault codes - I returned the vehicle as not being fit for purpose and got a full refund.
Im not sure how I would stand, I knocked him down quite a bit, That void any warranty, Plus I traded my old Colorado.. that had a world of issues that I never mentioned (obviously).. so he could throw that back in my face.. And It gets worse. Today I was coming up to a roundabout, and the front wheels locked, Managed to get it back to the yard and up on the ramp. BOTH front callipers are completely fucked. On both sides one pad was completely worn to the back plate while the other was like new. Pistons, seals , shagged no amount of force would shift 'em' ... So its left on the ramp. iv cancelled Ins, and put it on sorn... until its sorted.... In the service book it says new front discs and pads March this year... Who fecking knows mate..

Why did the dealer not want the cruiser?
Hi Stumog... I think it was when he clasped his hands over his ears... In disbelief that someone would put a 1985 Perkins in such modern vehicle..... :lol:

Cant wait to read the for sale ad...

Im not sure how I would stand, I knocked him down quite a bit, That void any warranty, Plus I traded my old Colorado.. that had a world of issues that I never mentioned (obviously).. so he could throw that back in my face.. And It gets worse. Today I was coming up to a roundabout, and the front wheels locked, Managed to get it back to the yard and up on the ramp. BOTH front callipers are completely fucked. On both sides one pad was completely worn to the back plate while the other was like new. Pistons, seals , shagged no amount of force would shift 'em' ... So its left on the ramp. iv cancelled Ins, and put it on sorn... until its sorted.... In the service book it says new front discs and pads March this year... Who fecking knows mate..

Hmm. I would still be after the dealer - you're a consumer, he is supplying product. Its his responsibility to ensure he's happy with the deal re your PEX (and lets be honest most people parting a car in are doing it cos they're having issues with it), the condition of your PEX is not relevant to the fact that he sold you a dog that is not fit for purpose.

Here's the Business Companion user guide - aimed at the motor trader - it's handy to understand how their rights are explained to them:

Consumer rights
The Consumer Rights Act 2015 is one of the main pieces of consumer law that covers a trader's obligations to a consumer when they sell goods.

Essentially the law states that any goods you sell must:

• be of satisfactory quality
  • be fit for any particular purpose made known to the seller
  • match the description, sample or model
  • be installed correctly, where installation has been agreed as part of the contract
You must also have a legal right to sell the vehicle.

If a vehicle you sell does not meet one or more of the above then you are legally obliged to sort out the issues. If you do not, then a consumer can take you to court for breach of contract.

Depending on a number of factors, such as the time at which a fault becomes apparent, then the remedies available to the consumer include a repair, replacement, or a full or partial refund. The consumer may also be entitled to damages for additional losses they have incurred due to the breach of contract, such as the cost of recovering a broken-down vehicle.

The Act also states that if the consumer shows the vehicle is faulty is some way and chooses a repair, replacement, price reduction or the final right to reject, within the first six months of purchase, it is automatically assumed that the fault was there at the time of delivery unless you can prove otherwise. This is called the 'reverse burden of proof'. After six months the consumer has to prove that the fault was there at the time of delivery. The consumer must also prove the fault was there at the time of delivery if they exercise the short-term right (30 days) to reject goods.

If the consumer rejects the goods by using their short-term right to reject they would be entitled to a full refund. If the consumer rejects the goods by using their final right to reject they would be entitled to a refund minus an amount for use of the motor vehicle. Any deduction made by the trader must be reasonable and justified.

You must not attempt to restrict a consumer's rights by using such phrases as 'sold as seen' or 'trade sale'.

Traders supplying diesel vehicles with valid MOT certificates issued prior to 20 May 2018 need to be aware that, if the diesel particulate filter has been removed or tampered with, the vehicle will fail its next MOT test. This will give rise to costly repairs and there may be claims from consumers seeking remedies, on the grounds that the vehicle was not of satisfactory quality when supplied.

For more information, including more detail on the short-term right and final right to reject, see 'The sale & supply of goods'.

Thanks Dave. the missus is searching the sale invoice, I don't think its done 500 miles since we bought it, getting some things together.. I think the new discs and pads were done at Toyota dealership.. so that should be interesting.... im going to ask him about his mate who did the MOT. Iv got test centre number.. This should have never passed a test.. While I was doing the callipers I noticed front anti rollbar bushes are shot.. I know that's a cheap 15min fix. but its more ammo.. Thanks for the above info.. the missus is on it...

On the up side ( if there is one) I cant believe how cheap callipers are.. Just been looking at Milners.. Are they ok..

TBH I wouldn't spend another damn penny on it until you've chased the dealer. The more things you fix and put right, the weaker your argument that you aren't satisfied with the vehicle. Just my 2p...

TBH I wouldn't spend another damn penny on it until you've chased the dealer. The more things you fix and put right, the weaker your argument that you aren't satisfied with the vehicle. Just my 2p...
I agree, and know what your saying .... Thanks

Back