Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Mysterious dash switch: need advice!

AlexLikesPizza

Country Flag
australia
So my 76 landy is an ex-mining vehicle, which means that it came with all sorts of juicy extras and mods that were promptly removed and badly patched up before I bought it.
Among them are these switches (see pic): 1482877466031257820327.jpg

I figured out the bottom three, they were pretty easy (one is a spollight switch duh!, one is a bonnet-flooding fire safety device and the last on the left is a reverse light switch), but the top left one next to the "idle up" is doing my head.
When the car is running, it does absolutely nothing.
When the car is off, if you flick it it will start buzzing like crazy and all the lights in the car will go into a weird random 'strobo mode' (I checked, its not morse code...).
Does anybody here have a clue as to what its purpose would have been?
Thank you to anybody that can help.

Dis
So my 76 landy is an ex-mining vehicle, which means that it came with all sorts of juicy extras and mods that were promptly removed and badly patched up before I bought it.
Among them are these switches (see pic):View attachment 111027

I figured out the bottom three, they were pretty easy (one is a spollight switch duh!, one is a bonnet-flooding fire safety device and the last on the left is a reverse light switch), but the top left one next to the "idle up" is doing my head.
When the car is running, it does absolutely nothing.
When the car is off, if you flick it it will start buzzing like crazy and all the lights in the car will go into a weird random 'strobo mode' (I checked, its not morse code...).
Does anybody here have a clue as to what its purpose would have been?
Thank you to anybody that can help.

Disco mode? Lol

You would probably get more chance of an accurate answer asking the previous owner, as it's a non standard Cruiser feature Alex.

Landy = Land Rover BTW, you may want to refer to your truck as a 'Cruiser' to avoid confusion with vehicles that break down regularly and have bits drop off. Your call. :)

Based on the description of strobe lights going on when the switch is pressed, I suspect it was for a roof flashing light as mines vehicles need them.

That was my next thought Ed. All lights flashing as extra visibility. Especially if it was a rescue type vehicle.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Perhaps a strobe with a partial short?

Back