Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Need advice on how to raise the front IFS

prinsly

Country Flag
australia
Hi Guys
I am have HDJ 100 R 2006 land cruiser diesel IFS .i want to raise the front to be level with the back.the torsion bar is adjusted to the max.many guys say different things.
i am confused and i don't want to spend money and not get a lift.
can you please advise me if you have had the problem and got it fixed.
can a IFS be lifted?
thank you

Hi Guys
I am have HDJ 100 R 2006 land cruiser diesel IFS .i want to raise the front to be level with the back.the torsion bar is adjusted to the max.many guys say different things.
i am confused and i don't want to spend money and not get a lift.
can you please advise me if you have had the problem and got it fixed.
can a IFS be lifted?
thank you
Hi,

Is you Land Cruiser 100 fitted with AHC? Also why do you need to lift the front? Is there somthing wrong? If so what is your problem?

Hi prinsly i don't know much about the HDJ100 but torsion bar makes me think i've read on here somewhere that some supply conversion kits to replace AHC with conventional suspension .

Also i've never seen an IFS 100 that actually looks lifted unless it has a body lift as well .

As a 100 owner and having looked at suspension options.

Happy to be corrected but....

You can’t and shouldn’t lift the front using the torsion bars, you should only adjust to balance age related sag between drivers and passenger side.

You can gain a small lift adjusting the AHC height control sensor and arms on each front corner.

I plan to maintain the AHC (and have swapped rear springs to help with additional rear weight) until something major goes wrong, when I will then do an AHC delete and replace with foam cell pro set up.

Check you tech stream readings and take measurements of each corner to see where you should be height wise.

Adjusting the front torsion springs on a healthy 100 will cause the computer to readjust until the ride height is corrected back. That is on a properly working system. Small increases beyond recommendations can be achieved by moving the ride height sensors but then the hydraulic system won't work as intended. The weight of the car is supported by both the hydraulic pressure and springs working on a split system.

Last edited:
Pedders do a replacement torsion bar for the 100seriea if you want to lift it. The factory torsion bars are not strong enough to support the weight without the assistance of the hydraulic suspension. I'm not sure how they work if the AHC is still connected. I would contact Pedders and ask them what your options are.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Assuming your 100 series is like mine ( OZ spec) it won't have come with AHC. Adjusting the torsion bars should give an alteration in ride height but it does alter the suspension geometry (which can be adjusted in the top arms to compensate) . I'd do more research into this because there are after market top arms available out your way to cater for lifted 100's.

On 100 with AHC (almost all sold in Europe) the torsion bar is not the single thing holding up the front of the car. They work together with the hydraulic struts (which some wrongly call shocks). When you wind up the torsion bar the AHC system compensates by reducing the pressure in the strut and maintaining ride height.
The AHC system has a pressure range within it works best. If you wind up too much you will have too little pressure and suspension will be shit.
There are 2 front height sensors and one rear that you can adjust so that you can get the ride height you want (within limits) while the AHC system stays within spec. Check here for very good info on the topic - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/ahc-sensor-adjustment-for-lift.60848/

On 100 without AHC (mostly outside Europe) the torsion bars are the springs for the front. Winding them up and down should immediately change the ride height of the vehicle. If you can't turn them more you can re-index them - not super fun job...

Be advised that the 100 is designed with a small amount of rake - front is 0.5" lower than the back. Best to leave it that way.

Back