Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Need help! Bought a HZJ75RV.. now what?!

dram84

Country Flag
netherlands
Hi team,

Redently added a '92 HZJ75RV with 64k on the clock to the family. Bought at auction, but reason to believe it used to be a NSW rural people carrier for the fire dept, hence low km's(?). I'm completely new to 4x4, troopy's etc so I thought I'd turn to (what appears to be) a group of very knowledgeable enthousiasts :)

First step for me would be to make sure that the car as is, is mechanically sound. What would you check/have checked first?

Secondly, I understand the engine can be fitted with a turbo, but also read something about damaging piston heads if the turbo is too strong? What would be a good turbo for it?

Lastly, what things would you do to it to make it a bit more "driveable" keeping in mind we plan on using it both on and offroad?

Of course any other advice is super welcome!! Thanks, Dan

Some images:

Screenshot_20180330-110141.png
Screenshot_20180330-110145.png
Screenshot_20180330-110137.png
Screenshot_20180330-110132.png
Screenshot_20180330-110118.png
Screenshot_20180330-110114.png
Screenshot_20180330-110118.png
Screenshot_20180330-110206.png Screenshot_20180330-110152.png

Hi Dan,
Nice find!
I sold my troopy last year.
From where in holland are you, I could give you some hints for parts and knowledgeable mechanics.
I'm also member of the dutch land cruiserclub. https://www.landcruiser-club.nl/. They do weekends,travelling, mechanic courses and more.

Hi Dan,
Nice find!
I sold my troopy last year.
From where in holland are you, I could give you some hints for parts and knowledgeable mechanics.
I'm also member of the dutch land cruiserclub. https://www.landcruiser-club.nl/. They do weekends,travelling, mechanic courses and more.

Hey, thanks a lot! I actually live in AU now, if I ever bring the car back to Europe I'll be sure to join the club, thanks :)

Hi Dan -welcome
Good find with your TROOPY. that is a 1HZ motor that is wonderful.
It's about bulletproof if not messed with and with decent maintenance you should see 500k km. yes, it is underpowered, slow et al. but if you adjust your driving style it would reward you with many smiles. Off road it in another league - because its actually more tractor than Ferrari
Due to its age, it may be wise to check out the injectors to ensure you are actually getting the full 94kw of pure joy

However, you can turbocharge it - but at the expense of longevity. (still a tractor). if power is really such an issue rather look at an engine swap.
Also, you will need to upgrade the gearbox at the standard gearbox does not handle higher speeds well.

You can upgrade to the limit of your wallet....have fun

at 64900km it sholdnt really need anything, I would presume it would have been well serviced by the fire dep. Did it come with service records? may be coming due for its regular 5k oil change. I would back Robs advice and not turbo it if you can put up with it, and add that left non-turbo i think Robb is being conservitive with his expected lifespan, 750 000 to 1 000 000 or more is common, heard of one that was still going at 1.5 million km. As to more 'drivable' well what do youu want to do with it?

Reactions: Ben
Hi Dan -welcome
Good find with your TROOPY. that is a 1HZ motor that is wonderful.
It's about bulletproof if not messed with and with decent maintenance you should see 500k km. yes, it is underpowered, slow et al. but if you adjust your driving style it would reward you with many smiles. Off road it in another league - because its actually more tractor than Ferrari
Due to its age, it may be wise to check out the injectors to ensure you are actually getting the full 94kw of pure joy

However, you can turbocharge it - but at the expense of longevity. (still a tractor). if power is really such an issue rather look at an engine swap.
Also, you will need to upgrade the gearbox at the standard gearbox does not handle higher speeds well.

You can upgrade to the limit of your wallet....have fun

Thanks a lot Rob! I have been looking at so many nice additions I do indeed fear for my wallet :)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Thanks
at 64900km it sholdnt really need anything, I would presume it would have been well serviced by the fire dep. Did it come with service records? may be coming due for its regular 5k oil change. I would back Robs advice and not turbo it if you can put up with it, and add that left non-turbo i think Robb is being conservitive with his expected lifespan, 750 000 to 1 000 000 or more is common, heard of one that was still going at 1.5 million km. As to more 'drivable' well what do youu want to do with it?

Thanks SeaJay, all the info about the durability of the engine is very assuring.

It did not come with the maintenance history which is a bit odd, but I've reached out to the fire dept, see what I can find out with regards to overall how the truck was used (should be nice to hear about the use and history) as well as getting some background on service history either from them or try pin down the previous mechanic.

What I want to do with the truck/where I want to drive it: initially use it for shorter trips up to a week or so, finding a few nice tracks in the NSW area. But if things go according to plan I'd love to take it around Australia in the next few years, especially keen bout routes up north and out west :)

All advice welcome!

RFS trucks are driven hard badly by most accounts... if they aren't being driven, they just sit there doing nothing. The Troopy is likely to only see service at big fires, as they'd be used to supplement the crews on the trucks that had already responded, so they are likely not to have done too much.

I'd be doing a full fluid flush:
-Brakes
-Clutch
-Transmission and Transfer case
-Coolant
-Engine oil
and then going from there

Check the dates on the tyres as well, they might be a bit elderly...

You might be able to see where it was from by sticker marks on the side, otherwise it's quite hard as some RFS and Bush Fire Brigade trucks don't actually get registered.

All what is said above sounds good. There is one point that wasn't mentioned yet :
THE TROOPIES RUST! And they can rust very badly.
You definitely want to store the truck in a garage or somewhere dry when you don't use it.
As soon as possible, check all the body cavities if they have been rustproofed. If not, do this as soon as possible. This is really important!
Also NEVER drive it in seawater and try to avoid to drive it in winter when they put salt on the road.
About turbo's : I installed a turbo on my 75 and the driveability increased enormously. They only blow 0,5 bar and this is enough to get the asthma out of the engine and you'll even be able to drive uphill.
http://www.safarisnorkel.com/turbo/1hz_76/sthz76w.htm

Btw and totally off-topic : just noticed that this is my 500th post on this forum :occasion-cake:

Last edited:
All what is said above sounds good. There is one point that wasn't mentioned yet :
THE TROOPIES RUST! And they can rust very badly.
You definitely want to store the truck in a garage or somewhere dry when you don't use it.
As soon as possible, check all the body cavities if they have been rustproofed. If not, do this as soon as possible. This is really important!
Also NEVER drive it in seawater and try to avoid to drive it in winter when they put salt on the road.
About turbo's : I installed a turbo on my 75 and the driveability increased enormously. They only blow 0,5 bar and this is enough to get the asthma out of the engine and you'll even be able to drive uphill.

Always telling when you find Troopys for sale with either "major rust, won't pass a RWC" or "minimal rust" as part of the description...

70 series rust in some hidden places as well - there is a spot in the firewall where they rust... I used to drive 4x 70 series regularly back in 2011/12 (my 1986 FJ73, work's 1988ish HJ75RP, 1986 HJ75RV and 1988ish FJ75RV) and all the work ones leaked onto your left foot when driving in the rain... only noticeable when driving barefoot or in thongs/flipflops. They'd always been on the coast,and had between 300,000km and 500,000km on the clocks... mine had under 200,000km

One of the work troopys had fairly major gutter rebuilds because it had run roof racks for a long time which had allowed a build up of wet stuff.

Luckily, very few places in Aus need to use salt on the roads, so that shouldn't be a problem - but the areas that are sandy are often quite a high corrosive content.

Also being an RFS truck, by definition it'll only have been out when it's pretty dry and the ground has turned to a tinderbox...

No troopy, but I’ll vouch for the 1Hz engine.

412k on mine and looking forward to the next 1/2 million already...:lol:

Considering fitting a turbo on mine after 12 years of ownership, it’s expensive but I’m assured its safe (if done properly) but I’m advised to fit a new (not used) unit and keep the boost low.

Might go for a Garrett, they’re made or assembled here I’m told.

Welcome aboard Dan, BTW.

Massive thanks for all the tips everyone, I'm going to follow all advice and get the car up on a lift after easter for some proper rust inspection and do all fluids as well as tires.

I will take it out on the beach for sure, so rust-proofing will be of major importance than I guess (+ a good wash after).

Still in two minds about the turbo, but it's very tempting (thanks for the link there).

I'll update you when I've had a mechanic have a closer look at it!

Btw, when you reach 30 postings on the site, you'll be able to access the download section where you can download the factory service manuals.

You might like to fit air conditioning? I have never been able to work out why the fire Landcruisers I have seen for sale didn't have air conditioning .

I have retrofitted an original AC in my troopy. Took a bit of faffing to get a 12volt system into my 24 volt truck, but apart from that it was very straightforward. All the looms are there already.

You might like to fit air conditioning? I have never been able to work out why the fire Landcruisers I have seen for sale didn't have air conditioning .

Same reason I suspect that the farm Utes I was looking at had the air con belt removed... They're supposed to be out the vehicles not in them.

I have retrofitted an original AC in my troopy. Took a bit of faffing to get a 12volt system into my 24 volt truck, but apart from that it was very straightforward. All the looms are there already.

Thanks for the suggestion, not 100% sure yet if it will or will not have AC as I won't be picking it up till Tuesday. Looking at the comments from both AU members above, chances are slim :) any suggestions on what to google for so I'm looking for the right unit name?

@ed, I can imagine AC woukd be comfortable for the crews though in all the heavy gear. Seems a bit cruel :)

There is no ac compressor fitted on your troopy.
These guys can help you, they are in Kaatsheuvel, Holland but also do business with australia. https://www.landcruiseradventure.nl/all-american/
I unbolted a complete ac unit from a wrecked hzj78. Took me about 2 hours to get it all out of the wreck. If you plan to do this also, be sure that the compressor hasn't seized and that the system is still intact with no open connectors to open air.

Last edited:
Back