Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Need info before buying!

bruja blanca

We came across a 2000 LC Prado SX5 for sale in an ad. We will see it in person soon, but wanted to learn about this model as much as possible before hand.

The ad says it is in excellent shape, turbo diesel motor and automatic. This and the ad photos is all the information we have at the moment. Can you 70s guru enlighten us with the good/bad/ugly of this model/year to help make a decision?

7246503-800x600.jpg

7246505-800x600.jpg

7246504-800x600.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome to the club. :icon-biggrin:

Something doesn't quite add up here I'm afraid!

Toyota stopped making the vehicle in your pic in 1996, so there is no way its a 2000 model. :?

A 2000 model Prado would be a 90 series. :icon-ugeek:

The model in your pic is a J70 and the engine dictates the exact model. 2.4 Turbo Diesel = L, so LJ70. The 2.4 Petrol = FJ70, 3.0 Turbo Diesel =KZJ70 and so on.

The one pictured looks quite clean so I doubt rust will be an issue. They normally rust along the bottom edges of the doors, and where the B pillar meets the sill. Depending on which engine it has will depend if that engine is known for having any faults. Certainly the 2.4TD and 3.0TD have been known to blow head gaskets/crack heads if overheated.

There good off road and are very nimble being such a short wheel base but they can be unstable as they tend to lift wheels a lot if driven hard. The ride can also be quite choppy when driven at a reasonable speed over rough terrain, where as a longer wheel base could driver much faster and feel much safer.

There good trucks though. :thumbup:

Thanks for the welcome and the info Ben! Now I know why I was having a hard time finding info on a 2000 "square Prado" :lol: From the last pic, I see all the writing in Japanese. I'm assuming it was a Japanese market vehicle and the steering wheel was changed here from a RHD to a LHD, which is not uncommon. I guess this unit does not have the coil sprung front?

About the year - we have a '96 Lexus LX 450, basically a FZJ80 which was made until '97, although in Venezuela they were made until 2007. Could something like this have occurred with this J70 hence the confusion in year?

Last edited:
Your welcome. :icon-biggrin:

Yes that one in your pics will be coil suspension front and rear. :icon-wink:

They did some short wheel base 70's with leaf suspension but on those ones the front wings/guards taper in at the front like the rest of the 70 series range (pick up, troopy etc.)

The model pictured above is pretty unique with those front wings, indicators and grill, and was only ever sold with coil suspension all round, and only ever in 3 door and 5 door and a lot of markets never got it. I've certainly never seen one in Australia, but the UK got quite a few as well as Japan and a few other countries. :think:

Thanks again. I just spoke to the owner and am heading out to see it in person. I'll snap some more pics and load them up!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
For that model of hard square dash it's seams to have late model equipment(unless they fitted an older model dash when converting it to lhd) with auto, air-con and electric front hubs. I think it says 2.4 efi on the door. Which although is the lower powered engine of the 3 can still be a very capable engine.

Poor condition radiators normally are the main cause for overheating so if you do buy it read up on here as what to do to keep it cool.

Different markets got different specs Rich. :icon-ugeek:

Thats a Jap import!

All the LJ78's in the UK are auto and most have air con. :think:

Just got back, couldn't spend enough time with her. Hopefully Monday we get a closer look with our mechanic. Owner's comments;

1. Leaking front driver's hub.

2. Turbo leaking oil.

3. Engine rebuilt.

4. Have to shift transmission from 2nd to 3rd manually, his mechanic says it's a sensor.

5. DR title says model year 2000 :eusa-liar: (ToyoDIY says it was made from 4/90-4/93).

Owner asking ~US$6,500, not sure it's worth it. Disappointed but not surprised. :eusa-snooty:

IMG_4775.JPG

IMG_4783.JPG

IMG_4777.JPG

IMG_4772.JPG

IMG_4778.JPG

IMG_4780.JPG

IMG_4774.JPG

It looks very tidy and rust free from the pictures, I wouldn't worry to much about little leaks as they're all easy fixable

If you have a bit of patience, those arent mega jobs.

1. Swivels always leak on these, its fixable but dirty job.

2. Leaking turbo - normal for the age I reckon. If you go on to ebay and search CT20 , theres a company called maxspeedingrods who sell a decent pattern part, about £120 in the UK.

3. Engine probably rebuilt as the head will have cracked. Very common on these, if its been done then its fine, although there isnt really a pattern to them cracking, can happen anytime.

4. To me, thats the biggest issue, these gearboxes are strong, way stronger than th eengine, the 2.4 wont trouble it. Ask the mechanic to fix it if he knows what the problem is.....

5. The date is wrong, but not misleading - its a 1992/93 model - my guess is that it was imported in 2000?

I dont know car values, but it actually looks pretty good for its age, if you know a decent mechanic then I'd consider it, except I couldnt live with the 2.4 in the UK - but...my recollection of roads in the Dominican Republic is that speed isnt the main criteria, ruggedness is, and they are a well built bit of steel.

Maybe haggle?

Regards

Pete

Thanks for the opinions, we really appreciate it :thumbup: Will see when my mechanic can take a look at it and come up with a list of corrections to use as bargaining chips. Wobbly, in the semi-rural and rural areas is where we plan on using this baby and yes, speed is definitely not needed there. On the other hand, for competitions/rallies and driving around the capital city of Santo Domingo, we use our FJ Cruiser to rocket us around :auto-checkeredflag:

We spotted another unit which according to the ad has a 3.0 turbo diesel engine with an asking price of ~US$8,700. They are calling it a model year 2000 also. Sounds like a bunch of these came in and the tax department labeled them all 2000s :think: This one has what appears to be an OME suspension, Safari snorkel, good tires. Will be looking at this one tomorrow.

lc1.png

lc2.png

lc3.png

lc4.png

lc5.png

Attachments

• 365786_2147610_tn.jpg
    365786_2147610_tn.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 151
  • 365786_2147612_tn.jpg
    365786_2147612_tn.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 147
  • 365786_2147616_tn.jpg
    365786_2147616_tn.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 162
  • 365786_2147609_tn.jpg
    365786_2147609_tn.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 138
  • 365786_2147628_tn.jpg
    365786_2147628_tn.jpg
    2.8 KB · Views: 139
  • 365786_2147613_tn.jpg
    365786_2147613_tn.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 166
Last edited:
If the red one is a KZJ70 (or 71), and the money isnt an issue, buy the red one. No brainer, the 3.0 is miles better.

Had the right mods as well, will be cheaper in the long run.

Pete

If the red one is a KZJ70 (or 71), and the money isnt an issue, buy the red one. No brainer, the 3.0 is miles better.Had the right mods as well, will be cheaper in the long run.Pete

:thumbup: I agree, and the less the co-pilot sees me running into the local ARB store, the happier the marriage :lol:

How do we distinguish between the two different engines? Looking at the two vehicles, the engines appear similar.

Last edited:
A 3.0 will have a black plastic rocker cover and doesn't say turbo on the alloy inlet pipe

I thought the same Rich, but Ive never seen a 3.0 in a J series, so assumed they were similar looking.

In which case, the red one may still be the better option - Im thinking the sports suspension in the brown one probably wont be working, so will need money spending on it, and its got bfg's and a lift? Take or leave the snorkel, vastly overated and under used imo.

Tread carefully bruja.

Pete

The red one has a bit of the shakes, we think it was driven hard off road. We also see the work underneath to change from RHD to LHD. Otherwise, it is in nice shape with new tires.
IMG_4809.JPG

IMG_4810.JPG

IMG_4804.JPG

IMG_4785.JPG

IMG_4789.JPG

IMG_4790.JPG

IMG_4791.JPG

IMG_4800.JPG

IMG_4807.JPG

Conversion looks a bit rough! :thumbdown:

Back