Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Need Rear retainer sub assembly for installing rear seats

AlexanderVanBaelen

Country Flag
belgium
Hi all,

I am having three front seats in my HZJ75 and I bought a forward facing rear bench somewhere which I would like to install. Even if it is an original seat, my car doesn't have the rear mounting assembly points.

I found some drawings of my rear floor and saw that the cars which had a rear seat actually had some additional structural reinforcements placed (58037A on the picture). I was thinking to just order both b=parts, have them welded and voila, good to go. It turns out I can't find them anywhere. Does anybody know of a place? Or would you just suggest fabbing up something myself by placing a heavy duty steel bar across the rear?

Anybody has experience with a similar case?

Screen Shot 2017-11-09 at 21.13.27.png

Maybe another question for the body work experts here:

I was thinking to install the previously mentioned retainers for installing the rear seats. Eventually there will be a metal bar installed over the floor pan onto the assembly, which will be squeeze the floorpan.

So I am wondering, is it okay not to weld the retainer and maybe use some type of glue? As I understand most body panels are glued anyway and I although the retainer has to provider support, I am not sure if it would be less safe if glued with an appropriate glue?

Recommendations?

On the 70 series LandCruiser all of the body panels are spot welded together. :ugeek:

You could try using a suitable adhesive, something from Sikaflex would be my recommendation. :thumbup:

On the 70 series LandCruiser all of the body panels are spot welded together. :ugeek:

You could try using a suitable adhesive, something from Sikaflex would be my recommendation. :thumbup:
Thanks Ben, I'll have a look into the Sikaflex offering!

PS: With regards to my comment about panels being glued I wasn't so clear, I wanted to specify that in current cars panels are often glued. Obviously the 70 series is not one of those :D

:thumbup:

The 70 series isnt glued together because its built to last and stay together even after being driven across thousands of miles of rough roads! :icon-twisted:

Where as most cars are built with a relatively short life span in mind, maybe 10-15 years for the average new car. :shifty:

An alternative to spot welding or gluing is rivets. :ugeek:

Looking at your diagram again............

Those bits look identical to the rear seat mounts in the LJ70 and KZJ70 3 door wagons. So maybe you could find one in a scrap yard some where. Or some one might have one as a parts car.

It woudnt take much to remove them. :think:

I will get a pic of my one for you. ;)

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back