Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New 120 owner

.Ian

Country Flag
uk
Hi all, I’ve been lurking on here for a few months so thought it was time I joined in the fun.

I had an itch for a LC for a while that I couldn’t shake so eventually caved and bought a 2006 LC4 on impulse without consulting the wife (well actually we had looked at two together and she had discounted the idea).

I didn’t buy the tidiest of examples but scratches on a 4x4 seem fitting to me and I’ll only end up adding more.

I’m keen to use it properly at some point this year but need to research where first! Have driven it through a ford I found on wet roads which was fun.

Current plans are to just keep on top of any maintenance issues. I’ve installed a double din head unit and had it dinitrol treated since purchasing it.

The Dunlop Grand Treks on there are looking a little cracked even if they have 5mm on them. May change them next week for GG AT3 or BFGs. Not decided which yet, but am leaning towards the GGs as the more modern tyre.

Intending to give it its first proper outting and driving it to the alps next week. Anybody have experience of a 120 in the car section of Eurotunnel? The manual suggests it under 1850mm so should be ok!

My 120 is has slightly bigger tyres than standard and is a little over 1850. Makes no difference to the cost you just have to tell them so you go in the single deck carriages.

Thanks for the reply. Did you notice any adverse affects with going up to 265/70?

I was keen to use the standard carriages as you get greater flexibility to catch an earlier train if you arrive earlier.

Only other place I’ve had a height problem is the work car park where it doesn’t fit. Good
job I had someone watch me as it cleared the height board. Bit inconvenient!

Thanks for the reply. Did you notice any adverse affects with going up to 265/70?

I was keen to use the standard carriages as you get greater flexibility to catch an earlier train if you arrive earlier.

Only other place I’ve had a height problem is the work car park where it doesn’t fit. Good
job I had someone watch me as it cleared the height board. Bit inconvenient!

Had no issues at all with BFG AT2 265/70. They fit the rear door carrier. On full lock on a steepish (off road) slope I can get a faint rubbing but as I'm crawling at that point it hasn't had an adverse effect.

I have found a couple of underground French carparks where I am *very* close to the roof inside. And I don't like driving through the A86 tunnel in Paris but I don't think a few fewer cm on the tyres would help that feeling.

Right, so went for the BFGs and am pretty happy with them. Bit louder and not as smooth but has got rid of the wallowy feel and corners better.

Handbrake seized on it days before I was due to go away but got it sorted.

Currently in France with it now, where it surprised me at the speeds it would maintain on the autoroutes.

Just to bump this, to answer the Eurotunnel question. Booked the single over height carriage but ended up on in the low car one.

With BFGs and roof rails it’ll clear the height boards and there’s about 10-15cm clearance in the carriage. Had a bit of luggage but wouldn’t have thought there was substantial weight in there.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Back