Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

new 70 series!

Sounds very similar to me. :clap:

I'm in the construction industry and have similar plans for when I get one (one day).:icon-biggrin:

I cant wait to do the Cape, it looks awesome! :dance:

Probably be a few years for me though, I will have to settle for the High Country in my SWB 70 for the next few years first. :icon-cool:

Would love to see some pics of yours when you get it. :pray:

I've been driving around Victoria for the past week and I've seen some lovely cruisers on the road, but I'm yet to see a double cab 70 in the flesh. :thumbdown:

What colour have you gone for? :think:

I went the Silver! I picked it up today and drove it over to Downey St Lubritorium. They are doing the under body rust proof spray. The old tar style. They even pull off all the door trims and spray up to the windows inside the doors and all panels. These guys also do the 6 pad electronic rust proof. They came recommended as the oldest and best in the business, so I'm hoping I get a good job. $1500 for the full rust proof.

I got just the vehicle from Sci-Fleet Toyota. No tray and definitely no extras. They really try to slug you on the extras. I found a guy on ebay who is a Toyota dealer in Sydney and has all the accessories at about 20-40% cheaper than from these guys.

Friday it gets the ally tray fitted and the tow bar, then it's a case of what next!

Can't decide on the bull bar, but I think I'm going to go the ARB with the brush bars and side steps. New tyres, lift kit, tint, UHF radio, and spotties. That might do it for now and see how things progress. I will post a pic when done.

What do you suggest, black bullbar or go colour match to the Silver?

Sounds good. :thumbup:

Are you having the electronic rust prevention system fitted aswell? :think:

I know the front and rear diff locks are standard. Is the snorkel?

Colour matching the bull bar and other bits can look really good. Ideally you could do with finding some pics of one with black and one with colour matched silver to compare. :think:

The only downside I can see with silver bull bar and brush bars etc. is it might show scratches up more than if it was black. :think:

Does it come with the extra fuel tank that I've seen on some of the 70's? :icon-smile:

Yes to most questions! :clap:

Getting the electronic as well as the old tar spray. I've been told that is the surest way to ensure you limit the rust. Snorkel and long range tank are standard now.

I'm doing a bit of a run around today to find the Black Duck seat covers and the sand grabba mats.

Thanks for the advice on the bar, I might go down to ARB and have a chat with them

Here it is! Fresh off the boat. Still a lot of accessories to install, but she's a beauty! 2013-02-16 11.00.20.jpg

I'm wondering if anyone can help? The centre console is this tiny little box which really is quite useless. There is so much space available. Does anyone know of an after market centre console that might work or I'm open to options and suggestions on how to fill this space and make the vehicle more suited to my storage requirements. This is the LC79 Dual Cab GXL 2013 model. Last years model had a larger more useable box! :think:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The 70 looks very nice! Congrats!!!!
I see there is also a Lexus cruiser lurking in the back ground.

Saw this picture on the net and thought it might give you some ideas / motivation. I personally think it looks very good!!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1360990962.021920.jpg

Can't help out with suggestions for the console. However have read a few posts on other forms of guys installing a small fridge / cooler as a centre consol. Might be an idea.

Looks hot! Love the rims. I've ordered an ARB bull bar with the side rails and steps, but wont see them until April.

I like the fridge idea. I will look into it. I found a guy in Mooroochydore here in Sunshine Coast Qld who builds roof consoles, side pockets and floor consoles in fibreglass. Gonna drive up and check it out. His web site is www.ronoconsoles.com.au

Oh yes, and my wife drives the LX 470. Great vehicle. Its a 2003 with 114 000 kms. I will be buying another when its time to trade up. It has been fantastic

Last edited:
Hi Ben,
All the very best in your 'upside-down' new home. Which part of OZ are you going to ??? I spent nine extremely happy years in Canberra and later in Perth, working for the Bureau of Mineral Resources
All the best Mate enjoy to the uttermost :lol:
Cheers Rob
No news on the wings yet but once Chas gets back from his place in France I'll chase him up about them

No news on the wings yet but once Chas gets back from his place in France I'll chase him up about them
Do we have another Chas? I haven't got a place in France.

Thanks Warren, looks like they are actually going to sell the V8 in SA.

Loving your new silver 70! :drool: :clap:

I put a few pics up yesterday of the one I saw at the 4x4 show. :icon-wink:

http://www.landcruiserclub.net/forums/showthread.php/42837-LJ70-Build-Thread!/page119

Regarding the centre console. I think the department of interior do them. :think:

http://www.consoles.com.au/

Hi Ben,
All the very best in your 'upside-down' new home. Which part of OZ are you going to ??? I spent nine extremely happy years in Canberra and later in Perth, working for the Bureau of Mineral Resources
All the best Mate enjoy to the uttermost :lol:

Cheers Rob

Thanks Rob. :thumbup:

I'm in Melbourne for the next 2 years, then I want to go and work in the mines in WA of Queensland. :icon-cool:

Let me know when Chas (your fibre glass friend) is doen with the arch, thanks. :icon-biggrin:

Last edited:
Interesting article Ed. :think:

Obviously written by some one with no interest in 4x4's. :?

Interesting article Ed. :think:

Obviously written by some one with no interest in 4x4's. :?

Or a re-hash of the Toyota Press Release which is what I suspect has happened, and then write some bits conforming to the prejudices of their readers.

Back