Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Alternator

Spinglehoffer1

Country Flag
uk
May have to replace the Alternator in my 1996 Prado 3.4 swb if it can't be overhauled. There's a leak from the rocker box cover which has covered the alternator in oil and may be the cause. Often get spares from Roughtrax who I always find excellent but can't see a rocker gasket or alternator on site, can anyone recommend another supplier?

Lots of gasket sets on eBay if you search for 5VZ-FE, I don't trust eBay that much so I got my kit from Rock Auto in the US; they are very good and lots of US Toyotas use the same engine (I searched on 3rd Gen 4-Runner).

I'm waiting for my alternator to bust and think I'll try to get it fixed as I haven't seen any for sale that I like the look of. Let us know if you find a good one.

You might have a 5VZ without valve cover leaks when you are done! At least the alternator is simple to remove on these engines.

Might be worth emailing Roughtrax and see if they can get one? DId you try Milners4x4 either?

Mind me asking what your symptoms were for you to believe your alternator is goosed? Has your battery warning light being on? Have you over 14v at battery when running?
I seem to have developed a werid electrical issue on my 90 series causing my battery to go flat but I never get a battery warning light on the dash.

I’ve done recently the cover gaskets, ended up ordering them dm from autodoc. They were full kits and decent quality. Remember to get good rtv sealant for the half moons (often the leak is from there) and would suggest new camshaft end plugs (are they called that? The round ones anyway)
Not a bad job to be honest.

Hi, and apologies for the delay in replying, apparently I have had Man flu, diagnosed by guess who! I will email Roughtrax just in case. Symptoms started with the battery discharge light coming on intermittently followed by the cat converter light (which took an internet search to discover what that was) followed a few days later by the abs light. Eventually called the RAC as it wouldn't start and after the shock of him attending a land cruiser that wouldn't start, which he said he checked with his controller before attending, he diagnosed the alternator giving 11.8v. I have found if I accelerate hard the lights go out, particularly if I drop from drive to 2nd, any suggestions?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Might be worth checking/changing alternator brushes - I did get an intermittent battery light a few years ago that was solved by new brushes and it's an easy job (at least on the petrol 3.4l). Mine doesn't have a catalytic converter (not required here until 2006) so I didn't get that light.

Other than that you could check the alternator plug is clean and not corroded etc. I think the diodes and regulator are also replaceable in these but I don't know enough about alternators to know if these would be the problem.

Schmitz Rotary makes a few updated alternators, heard from a few people they are good. At 11.8 v there is definitely something not working right. If you can test with a multimeter I would check if you get any AC current in the circuit as that would be a sign of the rectifier failing, personally if the rectifier is failing I’d just change the unit, if it’s just brushes can easily be refurbished.
I plan to get an updated alternator and service the old one to keep as a spare.
If yours was covered in oil a good cleanup may well give it a new lease of life.

Back