Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New boots fitted today

hamba

Supporter
Country Flag
uk
Hi all,

Thought I'll show off my new boots fitted to the truck, I went with 5 brand new Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015.
I also gone up a size from 265/60R18 to 265/65R18 and I have to say they look much better however the spare under the truck is a tight fit with the KDSS bar and the towbar getting in the way when lifting the typre up. Once the spare is in place there isn't much space left for anything else.
I've taken some photos to show how tight the fit is, to be honest, I don't think one can fit anything bigger and according to tiresize.com the size diffirence is 1.1" and you can see it with the new tyre in place under the truck.

Cheers
Hamba

upload_2016-12-15_14-0-36.png

My mind saw something else :lol: :(

Glad to see you went up a size. I've been trying to work out if the 65s will fit. It looks like the Ausie ones come with 65s.

So there is no rubbing on full lock? I know on the 120 with the size bigger they caught the plastic cover under the arch. Solution: Suspension lift obviously :)

I'm going to swap soon as well. My stocks have min mileage on them and the stocks on the previous 150 were pretty poor so if I can get £50 a tyre for these then it'll help now.

C

I've not seen any rubbing, I have it on full lock sitting on my drive but then I haven't been driving since I've had these on except for driving home. :lol:
I might have a look after I picked up the kids, got a train track to cross which always compresses the suspension nicely if you do it at speed in comfort mode

I've had a quick look on toyota website and the Aus version comes also stock with the 265/60R18 so the same as us unless its an optional extra one can ask for.

I've had these on now for a few days and so far I'm very happy with them. It feels like I'm glued to the road compared to the duelers that I had on.
I've also not seen any rubbing but then I've not done anything challenging yet but I have managed to drive onto the front bumper stops :lol: and looking at that I'm not expecting any rubbing.

One thing I have noticed however is that the revs have changed but that was expected, it feels as if they are a bit higher at the same speed as before but then it might just be me, I've never put bigger tyres on my cars before.

I wonder what will be the best pressure for these, the duellers we're at 32 PSI and they felt good with that, these are at 40 PSI and the ride feels softer.

Cheers
Hamba

Good to hear. I've decided to wait until these wear out or burst before I swap. (I need the pennies for another little black box ;) )

One thing I have noticed however is that the revs have changed but that was expected, it feels as if they are a bit higher at the same speed as before but then it might just be me, I've never put bigger tyres on my cars before.

Your revs should drop slightly but not sure if you would notice?
Bigger wheel = bigger circumference = more speed for same engine RPM (but engine works more)

But, I'm not sure you'll really see it?
Old tyre will do 661 Revs/Mile and the new one will do 639 Revs/Mile (https://tiresize.com/calculator/ - very good site)

As for the Ausi mistake I made - It was the 17s which were 265 65 standard. :(

Pressure? Pump them till they feel ok and still below spec. :thumbup:

Mind sharing rough cost out of curiosity?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's not bad at all. 200-250-odd less than the BFGs.

Compressor is cool. Always handy to have. For £50 it'll be a get-out-of-jail-free card one day.

Who was it with? I've got 5 tyres with, well, almost nothing on them.

I got them from Lakeland tyres here in Northern Ireland so it might be a bit of a trip for you.

By the way, what is the little black box you are thinking of getting?

Ya, bit of a haul.

By the way, what is the little black box you are thinking of getting?

Been speaking to the guys at Steinbauer. There is a club discount coming our way :)
They have good things said about them in Aus on the Hilux and 150. Some Hilux here running them too.

Ooh nice, been looking at one of those but I decided to wait until my warranty has expired before I fit one.

Nice!

You're lucky the spare fits.

On my 80 I couldn't get a 295/70/16 AT in the underslung unless I deflated it!

Drove it like that for a few k km until I changed tyres and went for a rear bumper swing-out mount for the spare.

Hmmm, wonder if the rear door with the spare wheel will fit ours :whistle:

Tonyp bought a door for the 120 with a wheel carrier. IIRC it would have been a straight swap. Perhaps the 150 is the same.

Try one from a breaker. If not, sell it again.

I lost a tyre this weekend due to a wire going through the side wall. To add the icing on top, it had to happen just after I rotated them and the tyre that I lost had to be the brand new spare. It done less then a 100 miles.
Spoke to Yokohama yesterday and they said no chance of a warranty claim because it was a foreign object going through the side wall.

I think I'm not going to replace the tyre with Yokohama but with something else.
The question is, what do I do with the other 4 tyres? They only done about 10k miles.

I'm sure someone else on here had weakness issues with sidewals on Yokohama tyres. It may have been a different forum though.

Yup, it was @Dave 2000 on his 80 I believe who had some problems with them.
Its a pity they make AT tyres these days that can't stand up to anything. If they want to make SUV tyres then go ahead but don't call it AT if the side walls can't take a beating.

What model of Yokohama AT was it?

If Geolander I would definitely say the GO12's have (IMO and IME) weaker sidewalls, the GO15 is supposedly stronger?

THe replacement set of '15's' from last year are still going strong, no sign of weakness in any area, early days yet but, without doubt I am pushing them a little harder to see if I can expose a problem, nothing so far.

Regards

Dave

What model of Yokohama AT was it?
I have the Yokohama Geolandar A/T G015 and they have been good so far except for the puncture to the side wall.
As far as I know and from my research only the LT version comes with the stronger side wall. Unfortunately my size doesn't come in the LT form which sucks as well or I would have picked them.

I'll get it replaced with the same, but once its time to replace them I'll be looking for something stronger, I'm just not sure what I'll change them to.

Back