Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New cars to have breathalysers and speed limiters by 2022 following new EU rule

J

jibberjabber

Just came across this.

A new EU regulation says that all new cars must have integrated breathalysers and speed-limiters by 2022. Existing models sold after 2024 must also have this updated safety technology. The British Government has confirmed the standards will apply in the United Kingdom, despite Brexit.

The landmark ruling, which the European Transport Safety Council (ETSC) say may cut traffic collisions by 30% and save 25,000 lives across Europe over the next 15 years, received provisional approval in March but the European officials passed it early last week.

The complete article can be found here.

https://www.petrolprices.com/news/n...speed-limiters-by-2022-following-new-eu-rule/

Last edited by a moderator:
Apparently common in the US and Australia (according to the article), never heard of them before personally.

Every day's a school day, as they say.

Apparently common in the US and Australia (according to the article), never heard of them before personally.

Every day's a school day, as they say.
No nor me, hopefully my 100 will last me out, thats if the Envrio Mentalists don't tax it off the road.

It’s fucking crap, also compulsory lane control, brake assist etc etc. I won’t be buying any new cars then!

My Sister in South Africa replaced her 11 year old X5 with a newish Ford Everest as she wanted a little better off road ability but can't quite Bring herself into the Toyota fold, any way, she was telling me the other day that unless she signals her intention to change lane on the motorway the car will not let her change lane.
We assumed the lane assist was too effective.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
My Sister in South Africa replaced her 11 year old X5 with a newish Ford Everest as she wanted a little better off road ability but can't quite Bring herself into the Toyota fold, any way, she was telling me the other day that unless she signals her intention to change lane on the motorway the car will not let her change lane.
We assumed the lane assist was too effective.
Wonder how 'lane assist' works, limits the steering perhaps, I don't know.

It’s fucking crap, also compulsory lane control, brake assist etc etc. I won’t be buying any new cars then!
Was doing some work on a car the other day with lane control and thought it was stupid & dangerous, really don't know what idiot thought of that. Bizarre.

Yes! It felt like very very bad tramlining like you were stuck and the car wouldn't go the way you were telling it to.
So, I wonder what happens if the car in front slams the brakes on, have you got the option to swerve.

Just answered my own question by lookin on inter web, a camera looks at the white lines, thats a joke for a start, the govenment can't afford to paint the lines, they are so faded. :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
So, I wonder what happens if the car in front slams the brakes on, have you got the option to swerve.
Oh it had the distance brake assist too so if you cruised up to a roundabout which bent to the left, it would sense the car in the right lane, gave some red lights and sensed imminent death so put the brakes on. But the car is in the other lane. Turned that off too. ffs.

I believe you can swerve out if nothing is at the side of you, I have been told that is how the sprinter van system works but don't know for sure. But I know a test driver who worked for Merc and that is what he told me

Oh it had the distance brake assist too so if you cruised up to a roundabout which bent to the left, it would sense the car in the right lane, gave some red lights and sensed imminent death so put the brakes on. But the car is in the other lane. Turned that off too. ffs.
So, more things to distract the driver.

I believe you can swerve out if nothing is at the side of you, I have been told that is how the sprinter van system works but don't know for sure. But I know a test driver who worked for Merc and that is what he told me
I for one won't be buying a car that was made after 2022 (not that I can afford one) not unless they take the steering wheel away and I can just get in, tell it where I want to go, then drop me off and park it's self, pick me up take home.

Then go for a drive in the LC. :)

Jaywalking results in a fine so i assume they are working on a tracking device we can swallow .

We have a 69 plate dustcart delivery a few weeks back it will brake if u are to close to the vehicle in front, it has camera inside that we use for side mirrors and we have lane assist as well, can't go backwards too fast again it will brake if u get to close to a object. Oh and the best thing it's in the workshop the side cameras are always fault. But nice to drive

My sister tells me there were no cars near her, she could not steer out of the lane to avoid road kill until she used the indicators.

All national Express coaches have had a blow in here type start thing for years.

Julian

That's really shocking. I thought the Everest was meant to be a basic 4x4?

Was doing some work on a car the other day with lane control and thought it was stupid & dangerous, really don't know what idiot thought of that. Bizarre.
Totally agree, last thing you want when you're needing to do an emergency lane change! And just how many accidents is it supposed to resolve ffs

Is that the same test driver that crashed because he didn't realise the braking assist was off!:laughing-rolling:

Back