New exhaust....to go 2.5 or 3 in?? Thoughts?

jjsaul Aug 8, 2018

1. jjsaul

jjsaul Active Member Supporter I am in uk

Map
    My DP is knackered as is the back end so have decided to replace the whole lot....been to a local fabricator who I've heard lots of good things about and happy to use them BUT my only decision now is whether to go 2.5in or 3in pipe?

My truck is a 12v 4.2 TD with an intercooler fitted if that makes any difference...

2. clivehorridge

clivehorridge Well-Known Member Guru I am in romania

Garage:
    Map
    Everyone seems to like to fit 3” to the 4.2 TD, but when I had a SS zorst made for my naturally asthmatic 1HZ, the guy did flow tests and punched a load of numbers into his puter and came up with 62mm (in new money) as the optimum (2.5”).

Can’t help you any more than this, which isn’t helpful at all really.... :icon-rolleyes:

3. Animal Mother

Animal Mother Well-Known Member Supporter I am in wales

Map
    I'd say 3". It has the best cooling benefits.

4. Dervis Garip

Dervis Garip Well-Known Member Supporter I am in cyprus

Garage:
    Map
    Went for a 3 in with two mufflers to reduce noise and give a nice crisp note. Also had a 3.5 in flange made for the back of the turbo for better flow. The exhaust will make a difference but you need to upgrade the turbo to get the best out of the intercooler, a job on the list of mine still.

Animal Mother likes this.
  5. Animal Mother

Map
    We require a video clip of the noise please.

fbnss likes this.
  6. Dave_S

Dave_S Well-Known Member

Map
    Need to get the exhaust sorted on our 80 series too - been debating just buying a stock pattern system from Milners or getting one made up locally. What sort of $$$ is your local place quoting James?

7. Josh Tagg

Josh Tagg Well-Known Member I am in uk

Map
    Mines 2.5, with a resonator and a silencer in my project mush you can see pictures. Sounds awesome round town and can barely here it on motorway

8. Dervis Garip

Dervis Garip Well-Known Member Supporter I am in cyprus

Garage:
    Map
    This is a recent clip on idle. Sounds better whilst driving it up the road.

Mark01 and uHu like this.
  9. chapel gate

chapel gate Well-Known Member Supporter I am in england

Map
    Mines 3" from the turbo, had a new dump pipe fabricated too. Personally I'd have the resonator and silencer fitted. They wont effect performance and, as my mate recently commented the next day after i passed him on the way home from work, it will still sound like "THUNDER"!

10. Shayne

Shayne Well-Known Member Guru

Map
  11. Grimbo

Grimbo Member I am in great_britain

Map
    Anyone had a price from these guys or even have one of these exhaust's ?
    That's neat , well made and use's original mounting points and rubbers ......something I've not seen on many UK made systems , also many of the one's I've seen have the flexi bit further down the pipe .

12. Shayne

Map
    Stainless is brittle and has a tendency to crack at welds so using flexi to separate the bulk of the exhaust from the solid down pipe is a good idea .

I intend at some point to get mine made by Prospeed in Cardiff as i've been very happy with the 3" exhaust they made for my 90 (others since have not been so happy) but if you come across a ready made 3" while searching please share it .

My 80 is 24 valve though .

13. fbnss

fbnss Well-Known Member Supporter I am in england

Map
    I hope.you manage to.find them this time :)

14. Animal Mother

Map
    Lovely. :):cool:

15. nielsc

nielsc Member I am in belgium

Map
    You will only benefit from 3” if you also get the elbow on the turbo in 3”, this is what gives the most increasd in low down torque.

16. Rob-o

Rob-o Active Member

Map
    I recently fitted a 3” pipe including the dump pipe and it’s a different vehicle on the motorway. Just wants to keep going. Straight through and full length and it’s quiet with the windows shut and fun with them open!

clivehorridge likes this.
  17. Dave_S

Dave_S Well-Known Member

Map
    Any indication on price Rob & co?

18. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in uk

Garage:
    Map
    And where from? :)

19. Shayne

Map
    I think i paid about £600 each for the ones on both my 90's from Prospeed and i would expect it to be around the same for my 80 .
    The volume of the exhaust is your choice so i can only advise the deep and smooth rumble i ended up with is recognized and enjoyed by eveyone i've spoken to locally making me wish at times i'd specifically asked for a loud exhaust instead of just saying make it sound like it looks .

Dave_S likes this.
  20. jjsaul

jjsaul Active Member Supporter I am in uk

Map
    Sounds like 3in is the way to go. Price is £600+VAT so £720, that is fully fitted and includes a flange off the turbo custom made as well. That's from Keltec in Leeds, I've heard lots of good things from guys with other cars who have been there. It's booked in at the end of this month so I'm happy to give some feedback in September!

clivehorridge and Shayne like this.
Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter