Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New exhaust....to go 2.5 or 3 in?? Thoughts?

jjsaul

Country Flag
uk
My DP is knackered as is the back end so have decided to replace the whole lot....been to a local fabricator who I've heard lots of good things about and happy to use them BUT my only decision now is whether to go 2.5in or 3in pipe?

My truck is a 12v 4.2 TD with an intercooler fitted if that makes any difference...

Everyone seems to like to fit 3” to the 4.2 TD, but when I had a SS zorst made for my naturally asthmatic 1HZ, the guy did flow tests and punched a load of numbers into his puter and came up with 62mm (in new money) as the optimum (2.5”).

Can’t help you any more than this, which isn’t helpful at all really.... :icon-rolleyes:

Went for a 3 in with two mufflers to reduce noise and give a nice crisp note. Also had a 3.5 in flange made for the back of the turbo for better flow. The exhaust will make a difference but you need to upgrade the turbo to get the best out of the intercooler, a job on the list of mine still.

Went for a 3 in with two mufflers to reduce noise and give a nice crisp note. Also had a 3.5 in flange made for the back of the turbo for better flow. The exhaust will make a difference but you need to upgrade the turbo to get the best out of the intercooler, a job on the list of mine still.

We require a video clip of the noise please.

Need to get the exhaust sorted on our 80 series too - been debating just buying a stock pattern system from Milners or getting one made up locally. What sort of $$$ is your local place quoting James?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Mines 2.5, with a resonator and a silencer in my project mush you can see pictures. Sounds awesome round town and can barely here it on motorway

Mines 3" from the turbo, had a new dump pipe fabricated too. Personally I'd have the resonator and silencer fitted. They wont effect performance and, as my mate recently commented the next day after i passed him on the way home from work, it will still sound like "THUNDER"!

Stainless is brittle and has a tendency to crack at welds so using flexi to separate the bulk of the exhaust from the solid down pipe is a good idea .

I intend at some point to get mine made by Prospeed in Cardiff as i've been very happy with the 3" exhaust they made for my 90 (others since have not been so happy) but if you come across a ready made 3" while searching please share it .

My 80 is 24 valve though .

Stainless is brittle and has a tendency to crack at welds so using flexi to separate the bulk of the exhaust from the solid down pipe is a good idea .

I intend at some point to get mine made by Prospeed in Cardiff as i've been very happy with the 3" exhaust they made for my 90 (others since have not been so happy) but if you come across a ready made 3" while searching please share it .

My 80 is 24 valve though .
I hope.you manage to.find them this time :)

You will only benefit from 3” if you also get the elbow on the turbo in 3”, this is what gives the most increasd in low down torque.

I recently fitted a 3” pipe including the dump pipe and it’s a different vehicle on the motorway. Just wants to keep going. Straight through and full length and it’s quiet with the windows shut and fun with them open!

I think i paid about £600 each for the ones on both my 90's from Prospeed and i would expect it to be around the same for my 80 .
The volume of the exhaust is your choice so i can only advise the deep and smooth rumble i ended up with is recognized and enjoyed by eveyone i've spoken to locally making me wish at times i'd specifically asked for a loud exhaust instead of just saying make it sound like it looks .

Sounds like 3in is the way to go. Price is £600+VAT so £720, that is fully fitted and includes a flange off the turbo custom made as well. That's from Keltec in Leeds, I've heard lots of good things from guys with other cars who have been there. It's booked in at the end of this month so I'm happy to give some feedback in September!

Back