Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Hella Driving lights fitted

tintinmt

Country Flag
uk
I just thought I would share this with you like minded souls. I fitted a pair of new Hella Rally 3000 compact driving lights as replacements for the old Cibie fog lamps. I bought a driving light and a fog light to give a combination of beams having seen it mentioned elsewhere. I made up brackets mounted behind the grille and stabilised with upper supports direct to the grille. This was to give a clean and uncluttered look. I also replaced the old wiring which went straight to the battery via a badly fitted switch in the dash! No fuse and no relay. The lights are now wired into the fuse for the high beam which is the same fuse as for the side lights. The advantage is that the lights can be turned off quickly using the high beam switch on the stalk.
To be honest; the project was really only about aesthetics as I don't intend venturing far off road, but I am happy with the look.

Attachments

• 2020-11-11 09.04.44.jpg
    2020-11-11 09.04.44.jpg
    259.7 KB · Views: 61
  • 2020-11-14 16.07.13.jpg
    2020-11-14 16.07.13.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 2020-11-14 16.09.34.jpg
    2020-11-14 16.09.34.jpg
    229.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 2020-12-21 10.48.38.jpg
    2020-12-21 10.48.38.jpg
    379.8 KB · Views: 69
I've had a pair of these (pencil beam) on the front for some years now. I fitted some HID bulbs in them and the beams are great. I found I didn't need stays (the lights not me personally) as the bumpers are so solid. Hella are very good quality IMO. I contemplated replacing them with Hella LED versions but was confined to bed for several days after seeing the price.

:blush: Yes, I resisted the temptation to go for the more expensive options that were available.

Still miss my 70 series.

Suggest you do something to the bolts securing the lights, i had bull bar mounted Hella standard spot lights on my 70 (wired via relays to aid full beam), someone unbolted them and had them away one night, the replacements i made much more difficult requiring noise to remove.

Still miss my 70 series.

Suggest you do something to the bolts securing the lights, i had bull bar mounted Hella standard spot lights on my 70 (wired via relays to aid full beam), someone unbolted them and had them away one night, the replacements i made much more difficult requiring noise to remove.
I am about to buy some spotlights and will be using anti theft nuts like these
I have used them in the past and lights never got nicked, at least no-one tried anyway.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
This was not something I considered, but since it lives in a garage at the moment I should be OK.

Mine is garaged too, but it does get let out occasionally.

Back