toolsplus

Country Flag
portugal
20210121_094735.jpg

slight oil leak into turbo,because of the plastic components not easy to fix
€500 and €20 to fit
and it came in a nice Lexus box...

Last edited by a moderator:
£500 is a good price for a intercooler , but the reason for changing it baffles me , any oil in the intercooler comes as vaper from the crankcase and camcover oil pressure vaper via the pcv and goes to the turbo first and then to the intercooler under forward trust to be fed back into the inlet manifold to be burnt off in the engine , some people fit oilcatch cans and/or just vent the oil vaper to air , intercooler's are not a wear out item but can easily be damaged by mishandling when working on the intercooler or around it . so if some mechanic has told you oil is leaking from the intercooler in to the turbo is rubbish info , it is much more likely it was damaged by mishandling .

best 4x4 mechanic in my area,he rebuilds engines,gearboxes and fixes anything
I could see the intercooler was damaged so it was changed on my request
we're so lucky to have this guy living close to us in the middle of nowhere
he's also the best 4x4 driver I've ever seen
he's also a very good friend of mine
and he didn't charge me his 40% margin on spares

Maybe the previous owner or his mechanic damaged it , some one has , they dont damage themselves . but even the best mechanic if they dont know the particular way a part on a particular car has to be removed as most models engines are different its still easy for the best mechanic to damage a part removing it . on the 120 the intercooler if it has not been removed for some years it can bond itself to the throttle body and as that side of it is plastic it is easy to damage it or the sensors attached to it when trying to detach the intercooler from the throttle body , there is a procedure in removing the intercooler that has bonded as so as not to damage it or the sensors that are attached to it .

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
he's a one man band and i trust him
just like Trev at Freedom 4x4

after all the years of abuse and neglect i'm suprised anything works on the LC
bit like myself

I dont abuse or neglect my cars that I have owned , I loved them too much to do that , owning cars have always been my hobby so from my very first car as a 18 year old lad way back in 1978 (a 1974 n reg mazda Rx3 rotary , one never forgets their first car ) I found it a great pleasure to lean from mechanic friends and teach myself how to service and fix them , that way I dont spend buckets full of cash paying someone to service or fix my cars which is a good job because I think I am ott when it comes to servicing my cars and service them way before the manufacturer recommends and I also use the better oils and fluids and greases like full synthetic oils for the engine and diffs ,transfer box and auto box and synthetic greases etc , and really enjoy servicing my 120 because its so uncomplicated and easy access to service compared to most other cars that I or my kids have owned .

Back