Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New LC Addict

Saltydog235

Country Flag
united_states
Well, maybe not a new one since I'm on my third. Sold a 2005 100, put the wife in a 2013 200 (funny, she won't let me take that one to the hunt club). Just bought a '99 100 for a toy and to go to the hunt club.

I might ask some stupid questions from time to time or even one with merit. Hopefully, the search function works though and I can just read and learn from the more knowledgeable crowd.

OK, first question. Got a guy that is making me a bumper, sort of like a Blueberry but not quite. Going to mount a Warn on it but what size. Normally, I'm a bigger is better type but, it 12K too big? 10K just right? I'm not going to be in the rocks, more like stuck in a swamp or Carolina bay.

Welcome Salty. Cant answer your question mate as I am new to LC's myself. Someone will be along (when the UK wakes up) and will help you I am sure.
Geoff

Hi Mate in regards to the Winch question, It may depend on the strength of the Cradle its attached to. My TJM bar is only rated to take the load a 9000lb winch can produce. I went 12000lb anyway . Best talk to the guy whos building the Bar I guess. What happened to the pics?

Welcome aboard Salty:thumbup:

As for the winch, I’d go for the biggest brute you can best afford.

Whatever it’s rating, you’ll only be pulling the load that’s applied, so on average that will be low, just enough to get you out of the occasional embarrassing moment, as it were.

The time (hopefully never) when you’d wished you’d gone for a bigger one, will be when you’re really bogged and there’s no other choice.

It’s a good point made about the rating of the cradle, but when it’s all or nothing, you just want to get the truck free.

I’ve got a modest cheapy 9.5 and it’s done me proud on every occasion. But it’s 11 years old now and I’ve used it a fair bit. It’s inevitable that they lose some power over the years, and the last time I tried to pull anyone out of a really sunk situation (Mentioning no names @Chas :lol:) I did a straight pull and found myself grinding the winch down to a stall. Not good practice, admittedly, and I’d made my mind up to re-rig it to a snatch return, to x2 the power. At that, and one more attempt, he came free.

The way I use them, winches are for emergencies. We all know how capable Cruisers are at self recovery, especially when we have the full option of center and front and rear axle lockers, but I can vouch that there are situations when the truck just hasn’t been able to cope on its own.

When time is running out, darkness is descending, and not to mention when your own strength digging or moving rocks about to assist is fading, the winch may be your only option.

All this may be familiar to you, so make your own mind up. You’ve had my 2 cents...

Enjoy :thumbup:

. It’s inevitable that they lose some power over the years, and the last time I tried to pull anyone out of a really sunk situation (Mentioning no names @Chas :lol:) I did a straight pull and found myself grinding the winch down to a stall. Not good practice, admittedly, and I’d made my mind up to re-rig it to a snatch return, to x2 the power. At that, and one more attempt, he came free.
Welcome to the forum Salty, and Clive, you know I am forever in your debt for that Romanian rescue. :clap:

Hi Salty and welcome to the forum. Although not a serious off roader my take on this would be that if you're having a winch bumper made then go for the bigger 12000lb winch and get the bumper made to suit. That will give you a fair bit of built in redundancy, as it were, which is never a bad thing. :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Trouble with the higher rates winches such as the 12000lbs is that the gearing is slow and not matched to low 1st very well.

You often see people running over the cables if the winch is to slow

Welcome to the forum Salty, and Clive, you know I am forever in your debt for that Romanian rescue. :clap:

All the fun of the fair Chas, and the Phoenix lives to tell the tale... :lol:

Point taken Stu, speed is another matter.

When I suggested they’re for emergencies, speed is not important IMO.

For regular use, trials and winch competitions, of course speed will be one of the prime considerations.

There can’t be many winches slower than mine, but it does the job as intended, for me.

All JMHO of course.

Back