New Owner.... struggling!

james ryan Feb 6, 2019

1. StarCruiser

StarCruiser Well-Known Member Supporter Guru I am in uk

Garage:
    Map
    I’d be happy to help as it’s not far from me. Especially in (but not limited to) the better weather. Whenever that is. :lol:

2. james ryan

james ryan New Member I am in uk

Map
    Great thanks for the offer, I may take you up on it.

3. StarCruiser

Garage:
    Map
    Please do, as long as i have the time, it’ll be a pleasure helping make a 40 well again.

james ryan likes this.
  4. Paddler Ed

Paddler Ed Well-Known Member I am in australia

Garage:
    Map
    james ryan likes this.
  5. tonytoyota

tonytoyota Well-Known Member

Map
    Hi I have a carb of fj40 it's a Weber if it is a help .

james ryan likes this.
  6. james ryan

Map
    Thanks s for the help gents. Lets see where they get to in the next couple of days.

Think i'd best upgrade to a supporter.

7. james ryan

Map
    I'll message you once I sort out being a supporter. I can't start conversations as a newbie.

8. StarCruiser

Garage:
    Map
    You don’t have to be a supporter. Just get a few more posts under your belt. Post up some pics of the truck. Some funnies, that sort of thing. It only needs 15 I think.

9. JonFJ1969

JonFJ1969 Active Member

Map
    Hi James, welcome, looks like a nice 40, always good to see more of them, sounds like you have a fuel issue, back in the day when mine had a 5.7 V8 SBC chevy in it, i thought i upgraded the fuel pump with one of those red top fuel pumps, bigger carb etc but turns out as i throttled it it starved the thing of fuel so went back to a standard old plastic one which cured it all, then gave up with the V8 and went diesel, your issue although seems a PITA sounds like a cheap one to fix, just need to find an old school mechanic who doesnt need to plug it in to tell him whats wrong with it, you will find some really good help on here, i think there is a meet in April at Lincombe which i hope to get out for, perhaps see you there, cheers Jon

10. james ryan

Map
    Finally fixed, turns out the carb was full of dirt, had it cleaned out!

Sadly now fitting what I hope is just a weak battery, grateful for any battery recommendations.

StarCruiser likes this.
  11. StarCruiser

Garage:
    Map
    Great the problem is fixed. Bosch and Varta batteries as well as Yuasa are good makes.

Could you expand on the weak battery bit? There's ways to tell if a battery is bad, take it to SES on Durban Road and they’ll test it for you and sell you a new one onlybif it needs it. Or give it a good charge on a Ctek charger.

I do hope you’re going to be able to bring this cruiser to see me when it’s done. :) or even before when I can cast my eye over the electrics for you if you wish.

12. james ryan

Map
    The truck is now back with me in Wimbledon. Had a good drive back up the A3, having only 3 gears wasn't as bad as I expected. Cruised along at 80km/hr hitting 100km/hr a couple of times no problem. Had the biggest grin.

Before leaving we'd taken it for a drive and had played around with the radio. On restarting after 5mins standing we had to turn the radio off to get it going. The garage had already suggested a new battery but I don't think they checked it.

I've had a mate jump start me over the weekend, but also had times when no one to help and had to leave it, but then it would start 20mins of several hours later. It sounds like the battery isn't turning the motor over quick enough, and drains away after several attempts. Earlier today I got it going but didn't let it run, turned it off but couldn't get it going again.

I did manage to flip the bezel all by myself!

Would have been great to have you help out, sadly Bognor is a bit far. Would be a good summer run though.

image1.jpeg image3.jpeg

13. StarCruiser

Garage:
    Map
    It’s not far from Chichester :icon-rolleyes: !

Sounds like a new battery is needed but try giving it a charge on a Ctek. Is it 12v or 24v start? One or two batteries?

Don't like the adverts? Become a supporter