Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New silencer

Edward Moyse

Hey all,

I'm getting a bit annoyed/embarrassed by the noise my truck makes - there's a massive, massive hole in the silencer (basically the whole top of it is open).

I think the official part is 17405-35162 (PIPE ASSY, EXHAUST, TAIL):
http://www.toyodiy.com/parts/p_E_199403_TOYOTA_LAND CRUISER_RJ73LV-MNEW_1702.html

Can anyone confirm? It'd be great to have a diagram ... and actually, now that I think of it, does the connection have a gasket? I can't see why it'd need one, but I'm a beginner at all of this, so probably I'm wrong. :icon-redface:

I was also thinking maybe I could cut the silencer out and weld a new/reclaimed one in... but maybe this is more work than it's worth? I could borrow a mate's MIG welder (my welder was nicked earlier this year, and I've not got around to replacing it yet)

Thanks!

Ed

My experience is that repairs may be good at the time, but exhausts are always in a rapid decline to disintegration and repairs always seem to go before the rest of the system.

I would recommend a stainless full system. It's a lot of money, but in my case, comparable with a stock replacement and with a lifetime (of the truck) guarantee, is very good value for money, long term, especially if you plan to keep the truck.

I've plated boxes and even made my own on occasions, but I was younger then and broke!

JMO of course.

Thanks Clive. I'd definitely rather pay a bit more and have it last. But I wouldn't have the faintest idea where to find a stainless set. By full, you mean from the cat to the rear? Or from exhaust collector?

Shayne - that might be it? I guess it shouldn't vary from petrol to diesel? Btw I don't know if you scrolled all the way down, but the last section in blue/English is pretty funny! ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back