Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New (softer) suspension and tyres for my VZJ95

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
As the title suggests, I'm getting a little tired of the Ironman 50mm SL kit. I had it fitted back in 2010 or so at around 130k and the truck has only done 50k tarmac miles since - I'm sure there's plenty of life left in the components but I'm getting fed up with the harsh ride combined with the LT rated tyres and looking to decrease the noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) - I must be getting old! :oops:.

The truck is currently on 80 alloys running 265/75R16 AT tyres, which combined with the 50mm SL - is an OK compromise between tarmac and offroad, plus I love the "stance" - purposeful but just on the ride side of subtle. The thing is, I don't really have an offroad requirement - TBH, I don't think I ever really did, other than in my head! :icon-rolleyes: Most of the time it's just me in the truck and I don't carry any tools or other stuff - so the truck is unladen 95% of the time.**

So, I'm thinking about reverting the truck back to a softer suspension with P rated tyres etc. However, I would still like to maintain that "stance" and don't really want to go back to an OEM look, with standard suspension and 265/70 tyres.

Can I have my cake and eat it? :think:

** Perhaps a more pertinent question would be - "Do I really need a Landcruiser for my usage?" Let's not go there, eh? :icon-wink:

Last edited:
Can I have my cake and eat it?

Yep there's no down side to using coil spring spacers for your needs .

If i had the invoice for the Monroe +2" i got from Roughtrax maybe 4 years ago i'd recommend them as Helens swb 90 would be as comfortable as the 80 if it was just a little heavier . They sell different Monroe now i think .

Last edited:
Thanks Shayne.

Yes, Monroe did come up quite often in the research I've done so far.......

Might be worth swapping to P rated tires first in the same size and seeing if the comfort level is what you want. If not, then suspension change will be in order.

Btw I have a front coil spring lift spacer for sale if anyone is interested.

That was my line of thinking too Beau :thumbup:

I'm currently running on 265/75R16 LT rated Hankook RT10's - they have worn very well over the last 50k and don't even look 1/2 worn, with the spare still unused and brand new. I would have no hesitation in recommending them to anyone looking for an AT tyre.

However there are not many P rated tyres in that size (unless you want to go very cheap Chinese brands - which I don't). To get a decent choice you really need to go to the slightly smaller 275/70R16 (which is the OEM size for later 80s and early 100s) - there's only a gnat's whisker between the 265/75 and 275/70, so no issues there.

Doing some research on tyre ratings*, I'm quite keen on the Hankook RA33 Dynapro HP's - as they are one of the quietest rated (70dB) and have good wet grip ratings. The Nexen HTX RH5 is actually quieter (69dB) and slightly better wet rating but I have no experience with Nexen tyres.....??? (For reference, my current tyres are rated as 74dB)

* I'm using Camskills are my reference - though I've found Tyreleader etc to be equally as good, if not better price-wise.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m64b0s22...yres_-_16_inch_R16_inch_-_275_70_16_275_70R16

Back