Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Speeding Fines (Eng & Wales) - 24th April 2017

chadr

Garage
Country Flag
england
Just in case you haven't heard about the new (extended) speeding fines coming into effect on 24th April onwards...

http://www.evo.co.uk/news/18773/speeding-fines-to-rise-in-april-2017-what-it-could-mean-for-you

https://www.sentencingcouncil.org.uk/offences/item/speeding-revised-2017/

Worst case scenario is you are fined 150% of your weekly income* - though the total penalty will be capped at £2500. And to be fair, you do have to be exceeding the limit by quite a margin to get a "Band C" fine.
(* I have no idea how they will measure this? )

The cynic in me sees this as a money making scheme - nothing to do with road safety at all.

500% of 'relevant weekly income' could be fairly hectic... but won't stop the clowns who come past me on the motorway going so fast I thought I was stopped for a pic-nic I guess..... more average speed cameras no doubt.

Broadly I don't have a issue with this as I always thought fines were not harsh enough. It's the proliferation of average speed cameras that really gets on my nerves though. If you don't have cruise control is very easy to creep over, especially on the very long stretches....

Ho hum, never going to go away, and I reckon it's only a matter of time until we all have black boxes in our vehicles which will automatically generate fines

Last edited:
HMmmmmmmmmn.
I wondered why my speeding court case was held back for 5 months, I guess this is going to be a real wallet bashing episode.

Presumably Band A can be dealt with at the roadside or through post. Only bands above this will go to Court ?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
The optimist in me would like to think its about re balancing the scales of justice , a fine for a zero hours contract worker likely wipes out his/her disposable income for a month or more , for a banker or footballer that same fine is as insignificant as forgetting to put sugar in your coffee .

The pessimist in me says it will be abused to create revenue .

I've always seen the fine as an irrelevance, it's points that matter