Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to the Club LC100 - Dubai - UAE

desertrogue

Country Flag
united_arab_emirates
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce my self, and look forward to being part of the club.

I am a scots, living out in the UAE - Dubai, just purchased a 2001 LC100 - 4.5 straight 6 - 166,000 KM

Got some issues with it - but I bought it on that basis, just in the workshop now getting worked on , hoping to have it like new again.

Things getting done

- replace stabilizer link bushes - all 4 wheels
- replace front + rear sway bar bushes
- Replace all 4 shock absorbers
- Replace auto transmission mount ( cracked)
- Replace rear transmission case seal
- Replace rear end crank shaft bearing oil seal
- Front brake pads replacement + disc polishing/skimming
- full replacements of all fluids
- replacement of all filters
- replace rear upper and lower control arms ( Need to find poly bushes to replace the bushes instead of the whole arm)

If anyone has any tips to give on things that should be done on these cars - would be awesome.

We struggled to know exactly what oils to put in the car - since car parts vendors here supplied SAE 90 API GL1 mineral oil for the diffs + T-CASE however the book states it should be

- Front Diff SAE 90 - API GL5
- Rear Diff - people here said it should be SAE 140 API GL5 as possible slip diff
- T-CASE - SAE 90 API GL5

Am I on the right track?

Cheers

Ryan

Welcome to the club.

It's vital to use an EP oil in the axles. On the can it must say "suitable for hypoid gears". If you put any other oil in chances are you'll wreck the gears pronto. Also API GL 5. Grade 90 or 75/80.

The rear dif should have a number or plate on it defining what it is but I don't know the numbers/letters. If you have LSD then again that must be on the can.

API GL 4 or 5 in the transfer. Grade 90 or 75/80.

Frank Thank you for that quick reply

I shall go and try to find that kind of oil herein the UAE , although it seems difficult!.
I will pop down to the garage tomorrow and see if there is a plate on the differential

thanks again!

Does the truck have Active Height Control (AHC) ???

If it does, those aren't shock absorbers, they're hydraulic rams so only change them if they're leaking.

On the AHC System, the damping comes from the "Accumulator Assembly" that restricts the suspension fluid flow (there is one per corner).

The actual suspension movement comes from the "Globes" that contain compressed gas - these are mounted on the Accumulators.

If you don't have AHC then the struts ARE shock Absorbers :lol:.

Bob.

Hi,
Welcome, you will know if it has a Limited Slip Diff on the rear axle if it does not have a rear difflock switch in the cabin!
I use 75w90 semi synth gear oil in both the diffs (with diff lock NOT lsd) and transfer case.
BTW AHC is special Toyota own fluid.

A 100 with straight 6 4.5 sounds more like a 105 - does it have a beam axle up front?? It may be a GX / GXL then and may come with lockers if its the 'General market's model

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Hey Guys,

Again thank you for the great responses.

- The car does not have AHC ( thankfully)
- The car is a 100 series - so IFS at the front and a diff axle at the rear
- No Diff lock in the car, just a center diff ( button on the center dash) - so I guess LSD

Need to follow up with my mechanic today and see if he found the right oil I asked for!

Thanks again guys will keep you posted

The best way is to remove the rear prop and jack 1 rear wheel off the ground then try turning it. It will be very difficult to turn if there is an effective LSD. (there might be a worn out LSD). Using the wrong oil will wear the LSD clutch out rather than ruin the dif.

Thanks

Thanks Frank ,
I will see if I can go down and check .
The mechanic has managed to find a better selection of oils

- front diff 85w-90 GL5 ( says lsd diff on can)
- rear diff 75w-140 GL5
- t case 75w-90 GL4

If I had an LSD (which am not sure I do) - would 75w-140 be ok ?

According to a mobil lube site - that is what is recommended for lsd, if it doesn't this will just cause some drag but potentially better protection ?

Is the LSD oil ( written in the can ok for the front )

Finding the right oils has been difficult here so if these work would rather stick with them until I can find a better selection

What do you think

I'm getting a bit confused, just try and follow the owners manual but the golden rule is only to use EP/hypoid oil GL5 in the diffs. LSD oil in the rear if there is an LSD.

In fairness the LSD oil will work in the front diff since the ring and pinion work in exactly the same way in all diffs and that is the critical bit as to the requirement for EP oil.
LSD oil is Hypoid/EP oil with additives to allow the clutches in the LSD to do their job. Whatever the grade of oil used it must be LSD oil for an LSD diff. I think there will be no harm done whatsoever if you use an oil with a higher viscosity, just an unnoticeable amount of drag.
There are 2 definite schools of thought as to whether exactly the right grade and make of oil has to be used and in my limited experience of running HGV's and tens of Cruisers over the past 35 years is that it isn't critical, I'm sure some will disagree.

Quite agree with you Andy but I would only use Hypoid/EP 90 in an axle with hypoid gears. I expect you agree anyway.

Slightly off topic my first Motorbike in the late 50's was a 2 stroke and I used to put any oil that was to hand in the petrol. Since then I've countless 2 stroke machines and have never bought 2 stroke oil and have never had engine problems. I've got through countless gallons of weird miscellaneous oils through their engines. I'm just about to finish a gallon can of 1965 Fina oil which I found in my uncles garage when he died!!

Thanks

Thanks guys

Really useful insight and I feel a bit more confident about the oils the mechanic is putting in

At least of the right grade and hypoid type .

Once the work is done I will get it back and check if it had an LSD before putting many miles on it and then possibley take it to the dealer just for the diff drain and refil then I know they put the oil of spec In.

Thanks for all your responses and knowledge of oils !

Back