Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to the club.

Edger

Country Flag
united_states
Hey, y'all! I am the confused and frustrated owner of a 1975 Costa Rican BJ40. I had a FJ40 bought new in '75 and have great memories of it so I went nuts and bought this one for some fun in my old age. Well, I knew it was a project to keep me busy but.......
I've been slowly working the bugs out of it. It had been running fine so that wasn't a worry. The starter died. Solenoid actually. I put that into a shop near me but the propietor has gotten terminally ill and I haven't been able to recover it.
Haven't figured a backup plan and I know that is a pretty specific unit for an old B motor.
Any advice and suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• Donkey.jpg
    Donkey.jpg
    956.8 KB · Views: 6
Hi Edgar and welcome.

Sounds like you need to find a new solenoid and then you can get your truck back. Worth contacting www.sor.com - Spectre Off Road - they are in LA and specialize in 40s.

Let us know hoe you get on.

Regards,

Rodger

Hi Edgar and welcome.

Sounds like you need to find a new solenoid and then you can get your truck back. Worth contacting www.sor.com - Spectre Off Road - they are in LA and specialize in 40s.

Let us know hoe you get on.

Regards,

Rodger
Thanks for the direction to SOR. I will check them. I'll be checking the Shop that has my starter unit this coming Monday. Hopefully the propietor will be there and I can check status and/or retrieve the unit and see if SOR can help with the solenoid. Wish me luck.

Thanks for the direction to SOR. I will check them. I'll be checking the Shop that has my starter unit this coming Monday. Hopefully the propietor will be there and I can check status and/or retrieve the unit and see if SOR can help with the solenoid. Wish me luck.
Well, I've had no luck at SOR. I haven't found anything on starters or solenoids on their site. The search continues. eBay seems a bust as well so far.

Hi Edgar,

I suggest you phone SOR because the catalogue is about regularly sild parts. I have always had better results for odd parts by phoning them.

Worth a try.

Somewhere I have the info of a US company that does secondhand parts, but I need to have a bit of a search.

Rodger

I haven't found the address for the place I was thinking about but I think they were/are called landcruiserparts.com

Rodger

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Rodger, I was able to see the woman who runs the shop that has my starter. She's been having medical issues so is in and out of the shop. She tore it down and found that the armature was shorted. Evidence that someone has been inside the unit before. She is figuring that she can get it working with a bit of ingenuity as she's been doing this for 25 years. SOR doesn't really have any good support for the old 4 cylinder diesels.
here's a couple of pictures I was able to take yesterday. The sasting #'s are the only marks on the unit.

Attachments

• starter.jpg
    starter.jpg
    420.1 KB · Views: 2
  • numberson starter.jpg
    numberson starter.jpg
    554.8 KB · Views: 3
Back