Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New to the group with my J90

Con_Twohig

Country Flag
ireland
Hi all,
My name is Con, from Ireland and i am just after joining... thought I would introduce myself.
Currently have a 1997 J90 LWB commercial in forest green.
Currently is completely standard... the only change is an extra bit of old house carpet in the back :tearsofjoy:
I am hoping to put more work into it and personalise a small bit.
Have been looking into a set of ET -35 16x7 wheels.
I was wondering if anyone would have opinions or recommendations on this size and width of wheel and also about good A/T tyres that would suit
I understand that there are probably a lot threads that cover both topics.
I have not had a chance to look for these as this is the first thing i have done on this page.
Looking forward to seeing all that this club page has
20201112_105917.jpg

Welcome to the forum Con :thumbup:

80 series alloys look like they were supposed to be used on the 90 and they are zero offset 16x8 but of course it depends on how personalized you intend to make the truck . A lift adds tyre options if its likely to follow ?

I joined the forum only wanting to know what bigger tyres i could fit and 8 years later i have 3 cruisers and i've lost count of how many wheels of different sizes i bought ! it was fun getting here though :icon-wink:

Just make sure that whatever you fit, you get the right wheel nuts. All same thread of course, but some don't fit every type of wheel correctly. There are flanged nuts which effectively have a big washer on them and pass through the wheel stud hole then there are coned nuts which fit into a dish in the wheel to centre it. Neither really work well with steel wheels for example

Welcome to the forum Con :thumbup:

80 series alloys look like they were supposed to be used on the 90 and they are zero offset 16x8 but of course it depends on how personalized you intend to make the truck . A lift adds tyre options if its likely to follow ?

I joined the forum only wanting to know what bigger tyres i could fit and 8 years later i have 3 cruisers and i've lost count of how many wheels of different sizes i bought ! it was fun getting here though :icon-wink:

Thank you for the opinion. Had not thought of the 80 series wheel. As of now there is not much chance of a lift going on it as it is used mostly for trailer work at the moment. Personalised would be somewhat limited to the basics being honest (wheels, tyres, bullbars, lights... things like that).

Hoping to learn some new things and options that are available to me. My brother and uncle both have LWB J90s aswell so the bug is well got at this stage :tearsofjoy:

Nothing wrong with a bit of family rivalry :lol:

Thats said my wallet would be a good bit heavier had i not seen this truck in those very early days when i was only thinking of buying bigger tyres

1605199473110.png

Just make sure that whatever you fit, you get the right wheel nuts. All same thread of course, but some don't fit every type of wheel correctly. There are flanged nuts which effectively have a big washer on them and pass through the wheel stud hole then there are coned nuts which fit into a dish in the wheel to centre it. Neither really work well with steel wheels for example

Thank you for that opinion, would not have considered a different set of wheel nuts other than the factory ones.
I will make sure to remember that, last thing that would be wanted is the wheel going passed quicker than the jeep :tearsofjoy:
Would there be any maker that you would recommend that would be good quality wheel nuts to get for steel wheels??

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Nothing wrong with a bit of family rivalry :lol:

Thats said my wallet would be a good bit heavier had i not seen this truck in those very early days when i was only thinking of buying bigger tyres

View attachment 169116

No harm at all lad... the brother has a silver, facelight J90 so he can left in a league of his own :tearsofjoy:
The BF tyres on the black steelies are looking savage on that LWB in fairness.
Was this before or after a lift?

Its not mine but if i remember correctly it did have a 2" lift

Hi con and welcome good looking cruiser my bad was called con .it's a big :thumbup: from Tony

Hi con and welcome good looking cruiser my bad was called con .it's a big :thumbup: from Tony

Hi Tony,
Thank you for the welcome and kind words.
Hopefully will be able to post updates of the cruiser over time.
Nice looking machine you have yourself :D

Not really Con, it's just about getting the right nuts. I don't think there's a particular brand as such. But if I had flanged nuts and needed cone nuts that suited the wheel I'd bought, personally I'd buy Toyota ones.

If you google "off road 6 x 139.7" that should give you an idea of whats available regarding wheels though i can't help much with tyres because i bought the size i wanted and made my truck fit them :crazy:

Is 165 the biggest you can go without a lift ? someone here knows ......................

Hello Con and welcome , a very tidy and straight looking 95 , green is a great colour despite blue being considered the "best" colour for a 90/95.So straight into the thread hijack , i had black steel modular rims with MTs on my 95 for a while before realising that here in Spain i was uninsured because they didn't have a CE approval.This is defiantly one to check out in Ireland .
" then there are coned nuts which fit into a dish in the wheel to centre it. Neither really work well with steel wheels for example "
Chris i had steel rims from Paddock & the coned nuts fitted perfectly into the "rounded countersink - am i missing something ? genuine Toyota , 10 years ago were 6 euro each.

I didn't say they WOULDN'T work. I merely pointed out that some steel wheel have a very flat face and coned nut don't fit very well. Cheaper steel wheels flex enourmously and if they are not tightened up really well against the hub trust me you will notice. I have steel wheels too and my Toyota coned nuts fit perfectly on those too.

To Reiterate. Con if you buy some non genuine wheels, please make sure what ever nuts you currently have will fit and if the don't buy some that fit.

I didn't say they WOULDN'T work. I merely pointed out that some steel wheel have a very flat face and coned nut don't fit very well. Cheaper steel wheels flex enourmously and if they are not tightened up really well against the hub trust me you will notice. I have steel wheels too and my Toyota coned nuts fit perfectly on those too.

To Reiterate. Con if you buy some non genuine wheels, please make sure what ever nuts you currently have will fit and if the don't buy some that fit.

Thank you Chris for the heads up about the wheel nuts, it is something i would not have considered. Hopefully the standard wheel nuts will do but if not new ones will be got

Back