Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

New Wheels / Tyres

Paul Kearney

I need to either refurbish my alloys at approx £100 per wheel. or go for wheel and tyre package.

Any thoughts or contacts for deals.

looking for BFGoodrich AT

do I go for 285 as I see others have?

i think you need to shop around for alloy refurbishment first. £40 a corner is a bit more like it.

As for tyres 285 is a good size unless you tow lots, in which case you might want to stick to standard. if you don't tow lots, the bigger size helps pull your diffs out of the dirt and is not so big as to cause fitment, gearing and braking issues.

People think the bfg AT is great and they do last for ages. Having had some for a while, i think they're over rated, too hard and too expensive, so you might want to ask around a bit on that one and make a decision based on what kind of driving you do.

Many Thanks.
I do do a lot of towing, 22ft caravan over fields for kayaking / slalom. Also 2.6t Ifor Williams 4w trailer. 20ft Speedboat on slipways
As recent, I leave the van and take the Landcruiser to get to work, never stuck yet, was snow plough in recent snow.

I take it you have an 80 then?

I run 285's with no worries, towing or not which included a 26ft caravan or another 4x4 on ifor williams twin axle trailer.

I have just swapped from 305 70 16s which were too vague on the road. To 285 75 16s and no complaints so far.

I agree £100 per corner is a bit steep. More like £40-£50 is more of a realistic price. I would also steer clear of painted wheels and go for good old hard wering powdercoat as it lasts a lot longer when exposed to the riggors of the salty winter roads we have here :thumbup:

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
If you can get your wheels up to Manchester way I can put you in touch with a powder coater for 15 quid a wheel... Shot blast & powder coat for that...

Gav Peter said:
If you can get your wheels up to Manchester way I can put you in touch with a powder coater for 15 quid a wheel... Shot blast & powder coat for that...
That's something I'd be interested in Gav, gotta get a set of wheels first :thumbup:

Hi
I had my wheels blasted and powder-coated for £40 per wheel. Then shod with 285/75/16 Hankooks.

They have now done 16,678 miles and still in good order.

I have tried many tyres over the years and beleive me these are the best yet for all conditions and not at all noisy on the road.

Paul (bat21) has got the same as well.

HANKRAP1.jpg

Mal :flags-wavegreatbritain:

How well did the those handle the recent snow and ice Mal? I've looked at those as an option a few times but on-line reviews seem like not everyone is impressed with their performance in snow or on ice. They're one of the few MT's available in my size :think:

Jon Wildsmith said:
How well did the those handle the recent snow and ice Mal? I've looked at those as an option a few times but on-line reviews seem like not everyone is impressed with their performance in snow or on ice. They're one of the few MT's available in my size :think:
Jon, which size are you thinking of? I have been running them about 18,000 miles. I have been pretty impressed with snow and ice stuff, I had thought for a laugh about trying them with studs put in the little wholes if the snow hangs around during Jan but can't find anybody out side of Norway who can do it :thumbdown:
They seem to be a bit of a compromise tread, between a true MT and an AT being a bit closer to an MT, which is not such a bad thing

I would be looking at 35x12.5x18 but after posting I went back to the camskill site where I'd been looking at them previously and they've dissapeared along with a lot of other 18" sizes so I may have dithered too long and they may no longer be an option :roll:

Jon, I think this might be the start of a general pain in the arse with tyres.
Bl**dy eurocrats and their noise laws
It is the biggest thing that is slowing me down with going to 35's
I had thought about seeing if anybody wants to bring some tyres in from the states to share carriage?
315 75 16 KM2 or perhaps the 285 75 18 MTR Kevlar :drool:

If you want stuff from the States then ask Dave at LLama 4x4 as he ships comtainers over with parts and spare space.

Paul

Julian said:
Jon, I think this might be the start of a general pain in the arse with tyres.
Bl**dy eurocrats and their noise laws
It is the biggest thing that is slowing me down with going to 35's
I had thought about seeing if anybody wants to bring some tyres in from the states to share carriage?
315 75 16 KM2 or perhaps the 285 75 18 MTR Kevlar :drool:

The 285 75 18 MTR Kevlar would be my choice but if it turns out they're no longer legal in the EU then we're stuffed.

Paul_Humphreys said:
If you want stuff from the States then ask Dave at LLama 4x4 as he ships comtainers over with parts and spare space.

Paul

Thanks for that Paul, might be very interesting, do you know him

Yes I know Dave. I was going to get him to get over some Maxxis 18" tyres for my LC, but could not find some 18" wheels at the time. I found some Maxxis MTs in 285/75/18 I think, that came out at 35" tall.

Paul

Jon Wildsmith said:

Jon, I have these tyres on and as I told Paul H, They were brilliant in the snow ice and wet conditions, never skipped a beat and I gave them some hammer to test them out, deliberately trying to make them slide under braking to get the feel of not only the tyre but the Cruiser as well. But then again it may be that I am not used to the abilities and sure footedness of the Cruiser :roll: . Time will tell once iv'e tested them on grass mud and rocks.....this weekend :D But up to yet I can't fault them.

Jon Wildsmith said:

Hi Jon

I have been well impressed they just keep dragging you along but one thing with wide tyres id stopping they did tend to slide once you put the brakes on hard-on ice snow was fine. But in snow and ice we all need to be a little gentle with the pedals a bit.
Overall I think they are the best MT tyre I have ever fitted. The LC came with Goodrich AT's and trying those to the Hankooks there was a vast difference. Very quiet on the road as well.
Paul bat21 has fitted a set and is well impressed.

Malcolm :flags-wavegreatbritain:

Thanks for the feedback, they sound like an interesting tyre to fit in between my Toyo AT's and Simex. KM2's are also interesting but not available in my size and I hear stories of them getting louder and bumpier as they wear and possibly being a bit weak in the side wall. Cooper STT's / Pro Comps are another option but they might be more biased towards an AT which I don't need :think: If Keith likes the road manners of the Hankooks though I suspect I would too :)

Back