Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

newbe

Mr bump

Country Flag
england
Hi just joined as bought a land cruiser.. my second one sold the last one 96 missed it ever since , found one well laid up will try post couple pics , but I need some help it appears to have oil going into water ( not the other way so I'm guessing head gasket or do they suffer more serious issues .. runs fine ,, but on having taken thermostat off clearly black oil pumping , only just started ... As drove the old girl home , my mistake .... Do the heads come off easily complete or is it a DIY man's nightmare ... Can't seem to load pics so need help yet again ... I'm based in Hampshire . UK ... Shaun ... So hi

Shaun welcome. Sorry to hear you're having some difficulties with it already. We'll try and help, but first you'll need to give us a clue which one you've bought. There have been a fair few since 1950.

96 vx diesel , cheers for reply

E5E13625-4216-4CA6-87D7-C075FF344A7B.jpeg

Ooh, excellent choice Sir. The number of problems that you get with this engine could be written on the back of a microdot typically. There just aren't really any common issues. Not serious ones. Getting the head off is just sockets and bolts really, but it's ridiculously heavy. I lifted one once and nearly burst something so an engine crane is probably required.

As to diagnosing the issue itself, I'll let others comment. I've not had this myself. There have been one or two posts on here where people have taken the head off. I know Frank did it just for fun.

Looks like an import - which if it is should mean it's tidy underneath.

Hi Shaun and welcome, is that the one from up Glossop way? Is it an auto?
It sounds like a head gasket problem at first thought as there aren't many places that the two can mix.
Will be watching with interest how it pans out.

I had a head gasket go on a 12v motor but it only pressurised the cooling system, nothing mixed. Like Chris said, the heads are very heavy.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Just a thought, if it is an auto, could it be trans fluid from a corroded trans cooler in the rad?

@Towpack just what I was going to ask, well I was going to ask what colour the oil was.

Hi Shaun and welcome.

Sorry to hear of your woes as Chris said, these are supremely reliable engines, so not many have had this issue to diagnose.

One thing though, if that picture is where the truck has sat, and only that truck, I.e. the patch of black oil underneath is new, it may be worth having a check around the turbo area as that may be a source of a leak… and possibly a mix point if of course that’s possible, don’t know, maybe a red herring but worth a look anyway.

Good luck with it. You’ve come to the right place for help and advice anyway.

Nice truck BTW, blue is a popular colour round some parts. :whistle:

Best wishes
Rich

Don't you just love this forum. We should have a section called 'The Landcruiser Detectives'

I saw the edge of the wheel carrier and noted the VX Limited decals so took it to be an import. If it is an import, it's most likely a 24v auto. Don't see many import manuals round here. I hadn't spotted the dark patch in the grass. Well done Hercule! The turbo is water and oil fed so there is a possibility.

P plate which in UK would make it an Amazon and as a VX would have had rood rails.

Of course we're guessing to a degree.

Hadn't noticed the colour .....

Welcome.
Looks like a good base motor.
@Trevor could possibly sort the issue if you wanted someone to do it. I've swapped plenty of 12v heads as they are pretty simple. I've taken 24v heads off but don't know if I'd fancy putting one back on to be honest.

Back