Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie 1994 80FZJ in Costa Rica

Blanco80

Country Flag
canada
Hola
I’m a rookie land cruiser CDN owner in Costa Rica with a 1994 FZJ80. Decided to pick one up with 200k and loving it! But mysteriously it started “not turning off” seems like it’s sputtering on vapors and I have to stall it to switch it off.
It’s the petrol 4.5L carburetor 1F-F
Read a thread on it but had no conclusive cause. Any easy advice or thoughts? It also sometimes lets out a massive burst or air when shutting off. Sound like a whale exhaling!! Super appreciate any advise - Pura Vida
CCA63658-4638-4D9E-914F-B6A6508E2364.jpeg

Could be electrical issue, Check fuel pump relay and wiring related to ignition..... Im sure someone with a bigger brain than mine will be along to help, I know nothing of the petrol engine in the 80, But have had the same issue with older petrol engines and it was always ignition/timing or fuel pump relay related.... Good luck

Please let us know how you get on.. The information is always valuable for other 80 owners who have the petrol version or might have the same problem..

So according to local Land Cruiser mechanic down here that I just found. He adjusted the carburetor and lowered the idle to 800rpm was too high. (Easy screw adjustment that I should have remembered from my old Niva Cossack) Seems to have helped. Next step is to clean the air filter and carburetor and then check fuel pump relay.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Glad you figured it out!
I'm planning on buying some territory in Costa Rica in a year or two... and will be bringing my cruiser down with me. Let's stay in touch... I might need your mechanic!

Back