Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie Question: Recovery Points

Adrian North

Hi everyone,

As my first real post I have a question about the recovery points on my Colorado. Could someone please tell me where they are please? I have looked underneath and all I can see are holes attached to plates onto which the front bull bar is attached. These are shown in this image ->
139086058.jpg

Are these the recovery points or, if not, what am I looking for? Sorry for the dumb question but not only am I new to this forum but also to Landcruisers and Offroading :shock:

Thanks in advance

Adrian

Here's a photo of the OME recovery hooks that are fitted to Fiery :D

P3250425.jpg

She originally only came with one of the hook style recovery points, but I've purchased a second from the main stealer to enable me to attach a recovery bridle as required :)

PA010645.jpg

I hope that this is of help to you :D

I think they have been moved to fit the bull bar. They usually fit in the same hole.

Welcome by the way

Chris

I think that looks like they're part of the bull bar mounting? A few more pictures would give us a better idea :thumbup:

Jon Wildsmith said:
I think that looks like they're part of the bull bar mounting? A few more pictures would give us a better idea :thumbup:

OK will climb under her tomorrow and take a few - thanks

OK I have been out (oh he joys of working from home :D ) and taken some more images - I can't find one of those hooks anywhere so it does look like they have been replaced. OK so the images:

139107837.jpg

In this image the shiny thing coming in from the left is the bull bar - it seems to be welded to a plate attached to the plate with the hole which in turn is attached to the chassis in some way (do you get the idea I know nothing about vehicles) as shown here
139107840.jpg

or
139107838.jpg

So am I correct in assuming I couldn't recover using the plate with the holes? If not where can I put the recovery points?

Thanks

Adrian

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
That's a lash up if ever I saw one. Ditch the bull bar and fit some proper ARB hooks.

Chris

Thats the kind of arrangement that was on my Collie when the new foam coated bullbar was fitted as part of an insurance claim.

Might not bend under a straight pull but as soon as your tow line goes off at an angle I reckon that plate would bend pretty easily.

I haven't put it back on yet but the old recovery eye will be going back on when I find it...

That could probably be beefed up a bit with a plate welded in to box it out a bit... OR, you could just do as Uncle Chris suggests!!! :lol:

Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Cheers

Gav Peter said:

Whereabouts in the UK are you?

Cheers
Down South in Reading

Chris, thanks - it will be staying until I can get a proper one :) what bull bars are available for the Colorado? (pref one that can take a winch)

Adrian

I wouldn't like to give those more than a gentle pull even with a bridle and straight ahead. There's not much you can do to improve that with the [strike:zjnp5ze9]bull bar[/strike:zjnp5ze9] damage multiplier still fitted so if you think you're going to need recovery points (which seems likely as you've started this thread :) ) you will be much better off doing as Chris says and removing it so you can fit some proper ones. Not looking quite as good as you'd like or having nowhere for some spot lights isn't going to seem very important when the person about to pull you out of a hole says sorry but I'm not pulling on those ;) There are some nice low profile winch mounts available for a 90 and they'll have recovery points or somewhere to put them.

Jon, Thanks - no plans to recover anyone at the moment but "The Tank" (as my wife calls it) is being turned into an overlanding vehicle (eventually) so we might need to be recovered rather than the other way round - We need a fairly beefy bull bar because we plan a roof tent over the front which will be supported from the bar if that makes sense to anyone.

Adrian

You probably need a proper front bumper with an A bar built in then, I should think there's quite a bit of flex in that bull bar?

Jon Wildsmith said:
You probably need a proper front bumper with an A bar built in then, I should think there's quite a bit of flex in that bull bar?
Strangely there doesn't seem to be - I can stand on it without it moving and I am errrr "comfy" (OK obese apparently :D ) but I am not sure what it will be like with the weight of a tent and myself on it - it is useful though at the moment as it gives me something to tie the dog to when I am outside (errrrr not whilst driving though - she doesn't like that ;) ) and something I can take measurements off when doing a bit of planning and design work :)

Adrian

Fair enough, just go gentle on those then till you have something more solid sorted. If you're not going for a whole bumper replacement perhaps the low profile winch mount is still an option with the bull bar still fitted. Even if you don't fit a winch it will give you some solid recovery points.

Given the distance between the hole and the mount, would you not sheer those bolts quite easily on a straight pull?

Welcome BTW.

Sent from TapaTalk

Crispin said:
Given the distance between the hole and the mount, would you not sheer those bolts quite easily on a straight pull?
That's the main concern and why only gentle tugs would be a good idea IMO and don't let anyone put a snatch strap on them - flying bull bars anyone?

Jon Wildsmith said:
[quote="Crispin":14aj98c5]Given the distance between the hole and the mount, would you not sheer those bolts quite easily on a straight pull?
That's the main concern and why only gentle tugs would be a good idea IMO and don't let anyone put a snatch strap on them - flying bull bars anyone?[/quote:14aj98c5]
Mmm that makes me feel a WHOLE lot more confident! :shock:

Who make good sets of winch/bull bars for Colorados?

Adrian

It all depends on what you are willing to part with.

There is Freeways Latitude (French), TJM (dunno?), ARB (Ausie) urm, not sure of others?
I got my Arb through Greg (Land Cruisers overland), they also priced up a Freeways one for me which was a very respectable price.

Crispin said:
It all depends on what you are willing to part with.

There is Freeways Latitude (French), TJM (dunno?), ARB (Ausie) urm, not sure of others?
I got my Arb through Greg (Land Cruisers overland), they also priced up a Freeways one for me which was a very respectable price.

Thanks - will contact Land Cruisers overland since their shop doesn't appear to be online yet. Had heard of TJM (Aussie) but not the Freeways - when it comes to parting with money it is how much the financial advisor (i.e. the wife) is willing to part with or how much pain I can put up with :D

Adrian

Back