Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie Question: Recovery Points

Yep have a couple left, need to get some more sorted really

The lower edge of the mount has a couple of recovery points suitable for shackles

finishedmount1.jpg

Ayup and welcome Adrian,

I used to have a wrap round bar on the front of mine and I once used it to pull a 80 series truck cab landie out of trouble, and it bent the whole frame, that was with a slight angled gentle tug. I've now ditched the bling and gone comando and I have to say I'm so much more satisfied with the look of it.

If you were desperate to keep the bar would it not be possible to use over sized bolts to accommodate both the bar and the recovery hook ?

Mmm pass on that question (I am, as my wife keeps pointing out) a mechanical kn*b! but I guess you could - That would be where the two "rusty" bolts are in this pic I presume?
139107840.jpg

yeah thats right adrian, Before I put my winch mount on that is what I did. Will have a look around in shed and see if I have still got them if you're interested

Chris Green90 said:
yeah thats right adrian, Before I put my winch mount on that is what I did. Will have a look around in shed and see if I have still got them if you're interested

Chris - thanks - that would be great :)

Adrian

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Yep :) You've hit the nail on the head, those two rusty bolt heads are the original mounting position for the original manufacturers recovery hooks & I would imagine with a bit of a fiddle maybe a small amount of re-fabrication one would be able to keep the bull bar as required & gain some very effective recovery points :D :thumbup:

Here's a photo of the OME recovery hooks off of the vehicle, but as Chris mentioned you can get after market ones badge under a number of different names BlackRat and ARB to name just a couple :D Not sure if they would be a direct fit though :think: :|

Here's a photo of the OME ones off the truck

P9090425.jpg

P9090437.jpg

Adrian North said:
Excellent - culd you get them from a Toyota Main Dealer?
Yes I did, kind of :) ;) I actually got my second one through Ian Rubie, but he no longer provides this service I believe :( But you will get 'em through the main stealer, but be prepared for £££££££££££££££ :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would see if you can borrow one to offer up first, it looks like it will be a bit crowded in there and you may not be able to get a rope or strap over the hook even if they fit.

The £10 ARB ones from D44 are a direct fit. I know 'cos I fitted some. I can measure the centres if you like as I have a pair here.

Chris

Chris - it would be great if you could give me the centre to centre measurements as well as the hole size if possible - just, once again, to show how much of a newbie I am what is "D44"?

Thanks

Adrian

Sorry to bring up such an old thread, but I noticed that you'd posted a link @Chris which seems to have died over the years. It won't let me pm you yet as I've only just signed up.

What route would you go down with recovery points these days? I tried Devon 4x4 but couldn't see anything immediately obvious.

I guess the closest potential one would be this https://www.devon4x4.com/bushranger-tow-recovery-hook.html but I have no idea if it'll fit.

My main alternative right now is this kit from aironboard, but they only ship to Australia so I'd need to solve a way of forwarding it. I also wouldn't need the hitch part as it won't fit my current tow bar setup.
https://www.aironboard.com.au/store/front-rear-recovery-tow-points-kit-for-toyota-prado-90.html

Any alternative ideas or suggestions are welcomed as I'd like a decent front and rear setup. Thanks!

It's worth asking @karl on here as he'll probably have some 80 series pigtails. These should match the hole centres in your Cruiser. Some of the aftermarket ones only fit Jeep or those other common 4x4s that you see parked on the hard shoulder. Where in the country are you?

Those ones from Devon 4x4 didn't line up with the holes on my 80. I don't know if they're the same on a 90

It's worth asking @karl on here as he'll probably have some 80 series pigtails. These should match the hole centres in your Cruiser. Some of the aftermarket ones only fit Jeep or those other common 4x4s that you see parked on the hard shoulder. Where in the country are you?

That would be handy.

I find the lack of support for 90/95 parts pretty disappointing. Surely these would be dead simple for a fabricator yet the nearest definite fit I can find are in Australia! I would just get them and be done with it if they actually shipped here.

Would be interested if Karl has the 80 series pigtails, but I wasn't aware that the 80 series holes are the same as the 90 ones. Perhaps I can find an 80 series kit somewhere in the UK?

Those ones from Devon 4x4 didn't line up with the holes on my 80. I don't know if they're the same on a 90

Frustrating! Based on the post above, I'm guessing so. And based on your hunt, I'm assuming that 80 series ones aren't much easier to find haha. Did you have any luck in the end or did you just give up?

That would be handy.

I find the lack of support for 90/95 parts pretty disappointing. Surely these would be dead simple for a fabricator yet the nearest definite fit I can find are in Australia! I would just get them and be done with it if they actually shipped here.

Would be interested if Karl has the 80 series pigtails, but I wasn't aware that the 80 series holes are the same as the 90 ones. Perhaps I can find an 80 series kit somewhere in the UK?

Frustrating! Based on the post above, I'm guessing so. And based on your hunt, I'm assuming that 80 series ones aren't much easier to find haha. Did you have any luck in the end or did you just give up?
I just used 1 bolt for each and didn't get stuck! That same day I broke my bumper anyway so now have a winch number with recover points.
I did have a surf before and the recovery hooks fitted that fine but can't remember where I got those ones from, a surf isn't too far away from a 90 though.

Back