Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Newbie.... Wannabe?

dyladams

Garage
Country Flag
uk
Hi all

Knave recently signed up to your form after spending some time admiring it's a guest.

I guess the main reason why I signed up is a mate of mine was between jobs and called me up one afternoon and asked if I wanted to go to Cape Town for a weekend but needed to take 3 months leave..... So we could drive there. Things moved on and my mate now has a new job working on the Olympics. However the idea of a trip through africa has stuck.

I am originally from South Africa and Since I was in school, my dad and his mates have been involved in 4x4s, mostly landcruisers. About 2 years ago I went back to do an overland trip from Johannesburg to Namibia and Botswana. It was awesome and really showed me how awesome these vehicles are. Made me wonder if an engineer in Japan really knows what he has designed and how hard they can work.

I digress a little, however I am no on the look out for a cruiser for future ownership. Not really ready to buy one yet, however want to get clued up as much as possible so when I do finally go shopping early next year, I know what my options are.

In the mean time I look fwd to reading the posts and hopefully will be able to spend an afternoon or 2 watching you boys (and girls) put these machines to the test.

In the mean time, here are some pics of my Namibia trip, definitely landcruiser country.

027f5c4c-7e22-b34a.jpg

027f5c4c-7d9f-0b75.jpg

027f5c4c-7db8-0a58.jpg

027f5c4c-7dc6-a620.jpg

027f5c4c-7de4-f918.jpg

Re: Newbie.... Wannabe?

Hi,

welcome ... they are awesome pics ... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

do you have a rough idea of which model of cruiser you'd like to own ... or just doing your homework on each variant

Doing a little bit of investigation at the moment but tending towards an 80 as it seems to be the reliable work horse. 100s are nice but think they might be too electronic for the average bush mechanic.

good spec levels in the 80's .... just too wide for my needs .. that's why we got the 78

True.... The 80 is a little wide, especially living in London, but when I get one, I hope to use it in as many wide open spaces as I can find.

Had a look at some of your posts.... Your cruiser looks sweet!

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

dyladams said:
True.... The 80 is a little wide, especially living in London, but when I get one, I hope to use it in as many wide open spaces as I can find.

Had a look at some of your posts.... Your cruiser looks sweet!

thanks :thumbup: ... but there are some much better cruisers than ours ...

dyladams said:

Howsit going?

Welcome to the club. An 80 too wide for London, rubbish!! I commute in mine and have even ventured into Zone 1 a few times to drop tools off at sites I have worked on. Never had a problem with the size.

Where about in Namibia were those dune pics taken. Looks like it may be between Walvis Bay and Sandwich harbour?

My wife is from Swakopmund so have spent a fair bit of time and have been lucky enough to do quite a few trips out that way. Awesome part of the world.

Where in SA are you from? I'm from CT.

dyladams said:
In the mean time I look fwd to reading the posts and hopefully will be able to spend an afternoon or 2 watching you boys (and girls) put these machines to the test.

Your more than welcome to tag along next time I head out. My wife refuses to offroad with me anymore... :roll: So i usually have the passenger seat open.

dyladams said:
True.... The 80 is a little wide, especially living in London
Lift it, fit big tyres and a few dents and you'll hardly notice all the other stupid little cars buzzing about you :mrgreen: Once upon a time I used to go into central London quite often and my old 80 was much better suited to making my way through traffic than my other vehicles, nearly made up for having to go into central London :)

Jon Wildsmith said:
Lift it, fit big tyres and a few dents and you'll hardly notice all the other stupid little cars buzzing about you :mrgreen:
That's it, a few dents and scrapes works wonders in getting other cars to give you a wide berth, take it from me, I drive in the big smoke all the time :dance:

Ryan Thomson said:
dyladams said:

Howsit going?

Welcome to the club. An 80 too wide for London, rubbish!! I commute in mine and have even ventured into Zone 1 a few times to drop tools off at sites I have worked on. Never had a problem with the size.

Where about in Namibia were those dune pics taken. Looks like it may be between Walvis Bay and Sandwich harbour?

My wife is from Swakopmund so have spent a fair bit of time and have been lucky enough to do quite a few trips out that way. Awesome part of the world.

Where in SA are you from? I'm from CT.

dyladams said:

Your more than welcome to tag along next time I head out. My wife refuses to offroad with me anymore... :roll: So i usually have the passenger seat open.

I am from Johannesburg originally but lived in CT when I was studying.

It would be awesome if I could catch a ride some time. More that happy to help out!

The pictures are from a trip from Ludritz to Walvis baai through the desert. Took us 6 days to travel 650km. AWESOME. Would highly recommend it!

Ahh - another one from Slaapstad!

Welcome! Hope you have a great time here!

Gary (ex Tokai, now Edinburgh - no, don't ask me why - ask SWaMBO :lol: )

Back