Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

NL > South Africa TLC advice

@AndycruiserguyLomas such a generous offer mate, thanks. It looks like the perfect state I'd love my lc to be in, but up until this point I've been looking at the ones that have certain features already there, like a bullbar and snorkle or tires, roof rack, shocks etc. At least some winching bits at the front and back for when the SHTF. I'd have to buy all those things on top and that would take me well over budget :/ But thanks, a rare gem you have there.

Unless something has changed overnight (and I’ve barely slept) Defenders are at a premium these days and you won’t get anything decent for that sort of money.

Stick to Toyota, don’t get too carried away with the build and you’ll be fine. I was talking to someone the other week whose son had just driven back to Scotland from Mongolia in a Micra he’d been given for free.

I will eat my fuel filter if that's a genuine ad. The front seats alone are about two grand new.
Wasn’t the TD5 a total dog of an engine?

You’ve clearly got a couple of issues here Jamie. Finding a vehicle for your money and a girlfriend who is in love with defenders. Doing your trip in a defender could go one of two ways, A) she will either fall further in love with the things, as one falls for the little stray dog with the odd eye that can do no wrong, even when it does pee on the carpet. Or B) she will realise just how uncomfortable they are and go off them.
There is a great danger scenario A) will play out here and unless she looks like the type to get her hands dirty and go to mechanics night school, you’re going to be the one fixing it one way or another, especially when it breaks in the middle of nowhere when it will be you unless you plan on taking a mechanic and all the spares.

Just something to consider.

Don't go for a Defender for goodness sake.

If you insist on moving away from the higher state of being that is Toyota LC ownership and insist on a Land Rover, then a Discovery is your best option.

For example: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LAND-ROV...561447?hash=item2ab9e72be7:g:5lUAAOSwV0dazJHM

You could buy that, and spend the rest of your budget getting everything it needs sorted and probably still have some change.

Last edited:
Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
+1 on what's already been said, for the money that you've got, look out for a Colorado or Prado 90 series that is in good nick, little or no rust underneath (especially the sills, back end and rear axle), spend the money on getting it well serviced, if needed a decent set of tyres, and keep it simple. If you are not used to driving 4X4s, a couple of training days would be money well spent and will lessen the chance of needing winches etc. and damage to the vehicle.

Obviously we're prejudiced on here but we're fair and don't just bash the green oval for fun. But they do stop working and that's guaranteed, but usually it's simple stuff, rather than being terminal. But one practicality to be aware of with the defender is that there's not a great deal of room inside the back and with the rear door configuration, access can be quite tight.

Everyone has their pet subjects and personal bug bears but mine is touring with a vehicle where you can't get to anything. Piling stuff in the back like some sort of Moroccan bazaar drives me bonkers. So do think about what you're going to have in your kit list and buy a vehicle capable of carrying it.

From handbrake on to sitting in a chair with a beer in hand and supper started shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. And that includes wet weather conditions too. Also consider that you need to be capable of putting it all away with only one person. Sickness or a bad back when touring can make packing roof tents etc away difficult so if the set up relies on both of you then there's a weakness.

Hi Jamie welcome to this friendly forum. Theres been plenty of members here with plenty of experience giving you amazing advice to contend with. I would suggest for your budget the 90 series would be ideal as a option however as you mentioned landcover defender I thought this might be of interest being within your budget and offering extremely good value for the money overland ready.

£4,500
Trowbridge
2002 2.5td
One of a kind
fully kitted out for overland travel... or work in those hard to get places
Personal stuff will be removed and not included in the sale. (GPS stuff. Pots/pans, tools, swag, chair etc).
She has 11 months MOT
......One piont to remember DONT ASK IF I WILL SELL STUFF FROM IT AS I AM NOT BREAKING FOR SPARES......
She has just under 200k but engine was rebuilt 4k miles ago. She has just been on a 1800 mile overland travel around southern europe with no problem To many extras and mods to list.
Heres a few....
Top mount 120 amp alternator/ twin batteries
2 inch suspension lift
Cooper stt pro tyres
Rear diff locker( fitted extra to use in 2wd or 4wd any geat any speed)
2 inch body lift
Hybrid turbo
Brand new sensors
Tunit advantage pro 2 adjustable tuning box brand new. (Pulls very well!)
Cb radio
Terrafirma fridge with cool case
3x inverters
Split charge battery system
Brand new pioneer headunit
Canopie built to take roof tent ( can be removed and fitted to any classic L200)
Loads of other overland equipment. Extras including loads of spare parts
She is not 100% new truck and could do with some minor body/paint work doing but nothing much.
Veiwing recomended
Does not come with awning.

Sensible offers on price will be consided.

4500 ono

https://www.facebook.com/groups/682128421936566/?ref=nf_target&fref=nf

44945928_733437167019933_4895367452981985280_o.jpg 44961395_733437310353252_418651469026164736_o.jpg 44902166_733437423686574_7085899120103129088_n.jpg

That’s certainly got the kit and about the price and had a reasonable shakedown. Good spot Dervis.

Yep that's a great call. I f you can get over the vanity if I can call it that of not building it yourself and using someone else's vehicle, then that would be job jobbed.

Firstly, thanks so much for such a warm welcome everyone, what a great community. I'm a software engineer and the arrogance perpetuating in those forum communities is really very tiring. A breath of fresh air to be here :blush:

@Jacob100 quite a humbling little sentence there hehe, made me feel silly thinking I need all the fancy things, thanks for the perspective.

Some 4x4 training would be nice. I'll be out there practicing in the alps and Scottish highlands quite extensively before we set off. I'll learn the basics and if I feel that I lack confidence after our test runs and need some extra guidance then I'll look into some training. Thanks for the video @SimonD , some really helpful tips in there.

@Dervis Garip what a find! I've messaged him and arranged a phone call for this evening. Can anyone give me some advice in what to ask him? I've asked for pictures of the engine bay and underneath the vehicle. @flint suggested that I make sure there is little to no rust in the sills/backend/rear axle, so I'll do that.

But how is the L200? 3/4 years ago my cousin and I used one to deliver chinese when the roads were all blocked off in winter, only car on the road and it smashed through like nothing. Lots of good tips hehe.

Like I said, I'm not going to be in the UK until January/February, so if I purchased this it would be my girlfriend's dad picking it up from London and keeping it for us there, so I would need to be sure. It sure looks like an incredible deal, "if it looks too good to be true it probably is"... makes me a little concerned

We talked it over and we'd be happy to send the guy a small downpayment by tomorrow if it's as good as it looks just to secure the deal... but is it the right thing to do? Looking forward to hearing from you! Not been nervous about a phone call in years haha.

He said "it's an import so the chassis is solid". I don't know why it would make it more solid, but it's a good thing yeah?

Looks pretty decent.

If you go back to what I said, people build these things and then can't give them away. So when it's priced like that, it's because it won't sell for much more. In real terms it's probably worth £20k - but at that price would you be interested? Certainly doesn't look bodged.

Import means it's not been covered in British winter road salt.

Back