Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

NO Indicators or Hazards - Help Needed

Howmanygoes

Country Flag
england
Hi all

So out of the blue on sat/sunday my indicators and hazards have stopped working, I get no lights at any corner or the side. Immeadiate thought was the fuse, fuse ok, swapped with another known working fuse and still nothing.

Removed the relay and bought a 2nd hand one and fitted that, still nothing. do i take the plunge and spend £107 on a brand new one from toyota?

Iam currently searching through some wiring diagrams to see if there are any other parts but any help or advice would be great please

Have you checked the plug on the back of the hazard switch?

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the idea,

no direct plug on the back of the hazard switch, but checked the one off the board shared with centre diff lock, that looks fine. I checked the switch function through the board and that works fine too.

Hi Yes
i had a read through this before posting, i dont have a lot of the problems this mentions.

My CDL switch works. The aerial switch works and the LEDs for the hazard and CDL switches work with the headlights. Stumped....

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Checked all my bulbs bar the 2 side ones as it started to piss it down. They were all fine. Beginning to think I need a new relay to rule that out.

Have you checked its not a common/Grounding issue like the chap on IH8MUD site.... Just hoping it could be something simple.... Sorry (Edit) iv just re read the last post again on the ih8mud site... Yes it sound like the relay........... Good luck

Last edited:
Struggle to see how it could be as a number of systems share the same found and they work??? Maybe a bought a dodgy second hand relay

The last post says, he bought two new controllers, both turned out to be dodgy... They sent him a Third and Hey presto everything worked.... Im guessing when the say controllers they mean Relays

Not sure what the relay looks like on these, but personally at that price id try and do some testing with a multimeter first.

Just basic stuff - is the signal getting to the relay to switch it? Can you jumper the output of the relay to see if the lights turn on and therefore rule out anything beyond the relay?

16116849685996480199408241643582.jpg
1611685049490439802183312015800.jpg
1611685196778857833254015397157.jpg

Thanks @uHu. I found this drawing a few mins ago. Good to know I have the right one. Also makes me think that I still have a knackered relay as it receives 2 separate feeds so the hazards work with no ignition. Should I be getting 12v at one side of the fuse?

Great, a diagram! Check the car with the relay removed. Start it up.

Check ground continuity.

Check for 12V on the power pins (1 and 4)

Note that the indicators and hazard lights are GROUND SIDE switched. So, put the hazard switch on and check for continuity between ground and the hazard pin (8)

Do the same with the indicator switch on left (pin 5) and right (pin 6).

If all that works, the relay should be getting power (if it was plugged in) and the switches are working OK.

You could then check the output side by jumping the pins for the light - on side at a time and seeing that they light up.

if all your tests pass, the relay must be buggered.

You could also test the relay separately, using a 12V supply.

Cheers @karl2000, I have a spare battery so that could be an option.

The plug for this relay is a sod to get to as it's buried way up and behind the steering column. Have to get my cirque de soliel on.

I can follow your steps once I establish pin 1 which I hope is marked, when you say check earth continuity is that between the plug (any pin) and a chassis point?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Haha nothing is ever easy!

It looks like ground is on pin 7, so first step check continuity/resistance between that pin and a chassis point.

I havent got a 100, but on my 120, the pins are numbered like this:

3 - - 2 1
8 7 6 5 4

Be surprised if the 100 is different as Toyota normally follow the same pin numbering conventions. Check pin 7 first anyway, then you can get a clue as to which pin is where!

About an hour ago my neighbour knocked on my door to tell me my hazards were going off, and had been for a while.

Hazards and indicators now all working at normal?

Its dried up and warmed up here so there must be a bigger issue, water ingress or condensation issues maybe (I have noticed more condensation internally than normal)

The vehicle functions normally other than intermittent issues with the remote central locking (again apears weather dependant) so maybe these are linked

Any other thoughts, cant relaly afford for it to fail again. Seems rain and cold can ruin a landcrusier, maybe I should buy an landrover o_O......

Central locking.JPG

Back