Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Noise cameras next?

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
"to catch those who rev car or motorcycles engines beyond legal limits"

So what are the 'legal limits' for engine revs?

It might not fly. Noise is very difficult to calibrate. Wind for example can "hide" noise.

It will have to be a high quality video clip, otherwise how will they prove the noise is coming from the vehicle in shot? Even then ambient noise pollution could be a problem.

"to catch those who rev car or motorcycles engines beyond legal limits"

So what are the 'legal limits' for engine revs?

I think it’s just badly worded, the legal limit they refer to will be the noise limit. Some of the worst offenders are the small step through scooters with the baffles removed. I’m a 2 stroke fan but these things annoy the living s**t out of me.

I like proper noise from engines along with most of us engine lovers, but I have to confess, Friday and Saturday nights outside my apartment in Bucharest, is like the start grid at Silverstone.

All the boy-racers seem to gather at 1:00 am in their Audis, BMWs and whatever and throttle up with their straight-through zorsts...

It really isn’t funny anymore, but thankfully we spend most weekends at the house, where the only ‘noise’ is birdsong and dogs barking.

Would love one of them outside a Tank Regiment when they have a Crash Out but reckon most will be in monied areas so that the rich can sleep better in their goose feather beds Seen a documentry a while back they had then what was a merc 17 tonner doing a drive by at speed they measured volume and sound pressure at a certain distance and engine revs so it looks like its going to be unscientific i mean how loud is a car driving by in the rain at night and some of the sound systems the yung uns have are really bloody loud how many will pay the fine until they get it right and how much of the tax payers money went into the funding of this hope they put one in Pilton while they have the festival this year

My 1958 Ariel 500 bike has a fair 'bark' to it - but its all standard and is the way they were back then.

I'll be watching this closely.

Bob.

I like proper noise from engines along with most of us engine lovers, but I have to confess, Friday and Saturday nights outside my apartment in Bucharest, is like the start grid at Silverstone.

All the boy-racers seem to gather at 1:00 am in their Audis, BMWs and whatever and throttle up with their straight-through zorsts...

It really isn’t funny anymore, but thankfully we spend most weekends at the house, where the only ‘noise’ is birdsong and dogs barking.
The trouble is, a noise camera may detect the noise, but, as with speed cameras, does absolutely nothing to deal with scrotes driving dangerously. They will still be racing and driving like nobs even if their cars are quieter. For that you need police on the ground. One camera is a policeman's salary for a year.

Came off my 2-stroke bike once so had to put a spare standard exhaust on . For better or for worse it halved my speed because at every single opportunity for the next hour someone tried to kill me in their car by cutting me off or pulling out in front of me whatever .

Noise saves lives , so what else will they ban when the pedestrian/biker death toll doubles and triples in answer to that ?

As Clive said, it can get very annoying living near a road that some think is a racetrack. We have thankfully lost a quad bike with baffles removed that regularly ran up and down the road to a house now for sale. To give him his due, he would cut the engine outside our place and the over speed he always had would carry him the extra 200yds to his destination. On leaving he would only really open it up once at the bottom of our road but even so this thing was loud. I would know which direction he was going in and could audibly track him for I reckon around 2 miles.

I would have happily seen the thing cubed in a crusher.

Being overtaken at well beyond national speed limits by a loud bike has, at times been so startling as to cause a break in concentration and frantic checking of mirrors to see if there’s any more coming. The sound not preceding but following the thing.…

Having lived on a 30mph A road, and been regularly woken by bikes at clearly 3-4 times the speed limit in a residential area…

…If it were to prevent extremes and not punish those being half sensible, and were effective, I can’t honestly say I’d be sorry.

I fear though, as with all such things, it will catch the generally law abiding that slip up, while those that are the worst offenders will get round it somehow. Simply letting off the throttle at the appropriate point gets round it. So would it be effective? I doubt it. The only real way is to fit each machine with monitoring equipment and the Big Brother implications of that are less appealing than a noisy bike or boy racer.

So, no! Not something that should happen.
Maybe try teaching people to respect others a bit more in this world rather than think of themselves alone might be a good idea…hmmm, can’t see that one working too well either.

This is really about modified vehicles. New cars and bikes are quieter now than they’ve ever been. My road bike is standard, will do nearly three times the national speed limit and easily meets the latest noise regs, not withstanding the fact that most bikes emit more mechanical noise than cars thanks to exposed chain drive and lack of sound muffling heavy bodywork. The perception that a noisy vehicle somehow makes you safer is complete rubbish IMO. If anyone thinks a driver caccooned in his/her car with the windows up and the radio or even head phones on will hear you coming you’re mistaken. Safety is all about visibility and if Mr or Mrs Myopia, bimbling along in their insulated tin box don’t see you they’ll pull out or cut you up as sure as eggs are eggs.

I didn't imagine it , this is mostly around town free flowing 30mph traffic , a town i've known since birth , i rode a bike every day , i never owned a car , an hour and i cut the silencer off a perfectly good exhaust because it was the sensible thing to do .

If anyone thinks a driver caccooned in his/her car with the windows up and the radio or even head phones on will hear you coming you’re mistaken. Safety is all about visibility and if Mr or Mrs Myopia, bimbling along in their insulated tin box don’t see you they’ll pull out or cut you up as sure as eggs are eggs.
You're quite right TP, I remember when I had a SAAB with a 400w sub woofer stereo going at full blast, driving along and all the cars in front were getting out of my way, I thought that's nice of them, then I looked in the rear view mirror and saw I was being followed by an ambulance but I couldn't hear the two tone over my stereo. My point being that exterior noises can't always be heard.

Back