Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Noises on steep descents

Trevor

Country Flag
england
When I was playing in my 70 at the weekend, I noticed when going down really steep descents that I got a clicking noise much like and old football rattle.

As the loading reduced on the vehicle the noise stops, not sure if it's from the transfer box or front diff. Hoping this is normal and I'm not stripping teeth off something. Second half of vid clip shows what I mean.

http://i742.photobucket.com/albums/xx61 ... 735739.mp4

On the way down the hill, what gear were you in and did you apply the brakes at any time?

Roger

That was in 1st gear, low range and feet off everything.

It sounds as if something has moved under load. It could be a propshaft, CV joint or it could be gear related. How did it drive on the way back home? Any vibrations or noises? If there are no further symptons, it could be something simple like a stone freeing itself from a brake disc.

As No.5 said "Input, input, I need input".

Roger

It only seems to be under load and was doing it all day. Drives normally on the road and no noises then.

I wondered if there was some form of slip mechanism in the gears or diff if the loading exceeds a certain point but that is pure guessing and probably wishful thinking.

Heard something like that before on an old Shogun - it was one of the free-wheeling hubs on it's way out.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Do you have the standard Toyota free wheeling hubs? As the noise only happens in 4 wheel drive, we are left with the output drive from the t/case, the prop-shaft and the front axle mechanism. To check the front prop, lock the hubs and give the prop a good twist and shove routine. Then try turning it and listening for internal noises from the diff. and hubs. Report back with your findings.

Roger

I listened to the sound bite on the other site,sounds like its something to do with the locking hubs.
Maybe take them off and give them a good clean.

My mudflaps use to rub on the tyre in steep descents,nearly drove me nuts(and my elderly mechanic).
I would even check the radiator fan,something could be moving at extreme angles.

Clicking sound starts when the vehicle dips and transfers its weight to the front tyres.
My bet is one of the locking hubs needs attention.

Was the back end going light on the steep down hills

My money is on a prop uj working a steeper angle because of that, had the same issue on a vitara that I fabricated a 4" lift for!

Are they greased regularly?

Back