Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Non standard suspension lift pros and cons

sam89

Country Flag
australia
Just wanted to get some opinions on some of the non standard pros and cons for fitting a bigger suspention lift. I get all standard ones discussed in alot of forums but recently i have been torn between keeping my 105 at 4" lift or to lower it down to 3" ( I cant go much lower than that without having to change arms and shocks) i decided to lower it and actually lost 60mm front and 50mm rear which was odd because i went from medium rate coils to heavy duty so wasnt expecting as much sag. I immediately noticed the obcious on road benefits of reducing the height, but ive had some negative effects off road that arent generally discussed when talking about lift that i have noticed.
First things i noticed off road is my departure and approach angles were massively reduced not just small amounts by just dropping 60mm im now dragging my ass on some of my local tracks i glided over previously. The other one i didnt take into account was sill height, i got stuck in a watery rut and for the first time in this area had water ingress in the cab i feel this can be another area usually overlook when lifting and not bought up as much as a pro for larger lifts.
And im not sure why but when people generally talk about lift they say you have a higher centre of gravity and more chance of roll over and i definitely felt that on road cornering at speed but on the steep off camber accents and descents on a few local tracks i felt much less stable as i did with the larger coils and higher centre of gravity i also have a substantial amount of weight on the roof so it was confusing for me and dissapointing as centre of gravity was the leading factor for me to reduce the coils.

If anyone could elaborate on why thst would be great, could just be me getting used to the new setup but definitely didn't like the ride off road from 3" compared to the 4" setup another thing i did consider is that i kept the larger shocks in but have gone down 60mm so i have lost thst much up travel also

Cheers for any advice

After

Before

The lift was originally 4" hyperflex superior engineering kit with 11" shocks rear and 12" front. It actually measured closer to 5-6" lift so the caster angle js much better now as the caster plates were to suit 4" coils.

Altering the wheelbase will effect handling in strange ways , going up without extending arms shortens it and if you have extended arms then going down lengthens it .

Your 105 came out of the factory with a 2850 mm or 112.2 inch wheelbase so if you measure what it is now it might point you in the right direction . Offset wheels for a wider track to counter the lift is also an option .

Could some of that be down to having springs with less movement now ?

Less lean movement could play quite a part in the feel of roll and articulation if there is less flex ?

Nice looking 100 by the way :)

Just wanted to get some opinions on some of the non standard pros and cons for fitting a bigger suspention lift. I get all standard ones discussed in alot of forums but recently i have been torn between keeping my 105 at 4" lift or to lower it down to 3" ( I cant go much lower than that without having to change arms and shocks) i decided to lower it and actually lost 60mm front and 50mm rear which was odd because i went from medium rate coils to heavy duty so wasnt expecting as much sag. I immediately noticed the obcious on road benefits of reducing the height, but ive had some negative effects off road that arent generally discussed when talking about lift that i have noticed.
First things i noticed off road is my departure and approach angles were massively reduced not just small amounts by just dropping 60mm im now dragging my ass on some of my local tracks i glided over previously. The other one i didnt take into account was sill height, i got stuck in a watery rut and for the first time in this area had water ingress in the cab i feel this can be another area usually overlook when lifting and not bought up as much as a pro for larger lifts.
And im not sure why but when people generally talk about lift they say you have a higher centre of gravity and more chance of roll over and i definitely felt that on road cornering at speed but on the steep off camber accents and descents on a few local tracks i felt much less stable as i did with the larger coils and higher centre of gravity i also have a substantial amount of weight on the roof so it was confusing for me and dissapointing as centre of gravity was the leading factor for me to reduce the coils.

If anyone could elaborate on why thst would be great, could just be me getting used to the new setup but definitely didn't like the ride off road from 3" compared to the 4" setup another thing i did consider is that i kept the larger shocks in but have gone down 60mm so i have lost thst much up travel also

Cheers for any advice
Don't stop at 3".............. 'Slam It'

Attachments

• 428200794328PM90571.jpg
    428200794328PM90571.jpg
    67.6 KB · Views: 39
  • unnamed.jpg
    unnamed.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 38
Or.......

Attachments

• e1374dc85cb6d63564fe0e596481e782.jpg