Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

None Toyota engine/trans swap

Hi good looking garage you have it will fill up very quickly just like my one and engine wot about a3.L 90 Colorado good looking 40s . :thumbup:

The welded on box section on the axle could this be a jacking point if the diffs are offset would make some sort of sense to stop the vehicle going on the piss especially when loaded tis a thought
Good point that Steve, I will be cutting it off when I’m next working on the axle.
Regards
Darran.

Hi good looking garage you have it will fill up very quickly just like my one and engine wot about a3.L 90 Colorado good looking 40s . :thumbup:
I have looked into the Colorado engine, but the gearbox from the Colorado would cause more work as the front prop exits at the n/s. Mine is a 4 speed gearbox so if the Colorado engine did bolt to my gearbox I feel the 4 speed would be a compromise.

The 3.1 Isuzu trooper engine and box would fit reasonably easy with no Ecu worries , the 3.1 is bulletproof so I have read

The BMW m47 2 litre or m57 3litre, some have 5 speed and some have 6 speed, both have more bhp and torque than I already have and there’s a uk company that make adapter plates from the bmw gearbox to a land rover transfer case, they also adapt the engine ecu to be a stand alone unit, all sounds a little messy.......

I have also looked at the Daihatsu 2.8 turbo, the transfer front exit is on the right hand side and I have read this is also a bulletproof engine,

I thought mine was a 2B, having checked it’s just a B engine, I could freshen it up and have the pump and injectors overhauled and look at fitting a 5 speed gearbox. The B is also bulletproof and will go for ever if a little slow.
Any advice or suggestions appreciated and anyone selling and engine and gearbox give me a shout
Thanks
Darran.

Hi Darran I think the 2.8 is a great engine but the 3.L with a 5 speed manual box is better.that is just my good look with it let us know how you getting on with it thanks a lot Tony

Tony,
Would you know what 5 gearboxes choices I have that will bolt to my B engine?
Regards
Darran.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
To use the 1kz from a colorado you would need to use a kzj/ lj70 gearbox with the engine. The Daihatsu 2.8td is based on the B engine and there's lots of them around for sale.

To use the 1kz from a colorado you would need to use a kzj/ lj70 gearbox with the engine. The Daihatsu 2.8td is based on the B engine and there's lots of them around for sale.
Hi, a Colorado engine and a gearbox from a J70 could end up been costly, more than I was looking to spend.
I have also noticed some of the earlier hilux pick ups and surf vehicles have a gearbox that would suit my setup.
I’m thinking the easiest way to do a conversion is to buy a complete vehicle that is been sold as spares or repairs and use the complete engine and gearbox.
We will see......
Regards
Darran.

Early hilux had the offset rear differential, but the surf has centre placement differential.. colorado gearbox can be modified to fit the lj70 transfer but you have to swap the rear case of the gearbox then add the transfer.

In my opinion the 1kzt is a great upgrade for a 40 series.

Other things to take into account is that the newer gearboxes are much longer and can end up having a short propshaft when going into a 40.

Hi Iwan r you ok you have got it spot on wot a upgrade for a 40s how r you getting on with that 45 keep well all .

You should start with saying what budget you've got as there is a whole range of stuff that would work in your application. If you are looking for something more usable then leaving your original box isn't really the best idea. Your best bet would be to pick a gearbox first and go from there. If you go auto a340 (30-40le/aw4) you can use some nice petrol options like 4.0 and 4.3 lexus v8 or 4.0 r6 jeep both absolutely bulletproof and silk smooth.

You still have to be carefull about gearbox length Bart. Auto's are longer and if a a340 is touching over the length of a h151f for instance then you have to try to stretch the wheel base by moving the rear axle back a bit.. On the other hand move the engine forward but that's not too easy either as it'll look pants with a massive gap between the firewall and the rocker cover.

BJ40 is more or less the same wheelbase as lj71, it would fit. Don't know if gap between bulkhead and engine is really something to concern yourself with unless you're more about looks than purpose... He may need to do slight body lift , make sure sump clears the diff etc

Last edited by a moderator:
Good evening Gents,
Thank you for the comments/advise, they are all appreciated and read with great interest and lead my to further investigate my options.
The gearbox length is of concern, I took the propshafts off at the weekend, I never expected the rear to be shorter than the front.

As for a budget, I don’t really have one, i like to use the terms cost effective and value for money,I have learnt the hard way “buy cheap buy twice”

When I was younger, you could walk round scrap yards on a weekend, take parts off cars, mix and match and upgrade, measure stuff etc, those days are long gone which is a shame at least we have the internet now lol.

Engine and gearbox should be out next weekend when my engine lifter is returned, I have plenty of jobs to be getting on with while working out the engine/gearbox situation.
Regards
Darran
6EB004DF-263D-4AF0-ADF9-FC2AE7763266.jpeg
6EB004DF-263D-4AF0-ADF9-FC2AE7763266.jpeg9E16147B-CF2C-4137-B793-5E1A4798BC4C.jpeg

I've taken a break on my fj45 project where I intend to fit a 1hdt engine and h151f trans from an 80 series. (life's problems get in the way!)

There really is a lot to take into account.

The gearbox is so big, there's a couple of resolves, lower the gearbox and do a body lift(slight) 50%/50%, Have settled on the fact that the floor needs to be cut around the gearbox and make a tunnel to go around it... but that will eat into the floor/cab space!

Also you don't really want to mount the engine box combo too low or it will be dragging it's belly!

45 series is 120" wheelbase and I believe the 40 is 88" wheelbase? So the 40 is tight on length and the issues above with a 45 series.

A bit of information for you...:thumbup:

If you are most about value for money fit 4.0 v8 out of ls400(early pre 96 no immo) keep ls box, chop rear spline off as it's too long and fit 70 transfer case. You may fit 1kz engine but it's not worth the hussle, you may fit 1hd 1hz etc but it's too expensive. Loads of options but if you go 1uz-fe 4.0 you will smile every time you start this car. And at the end of the day it's all that matters ;)

I've taken a break on my fj45 project where I intend to fit a 1hdt engine and h151f trans from an 80 series. (life's problems get in the way!)

There really is a lot to take into account.

The gearbox is so big, there's a couple of resolves, lower the gearbox and do a body lift(slight) 50%/50%, Have settled on the fact that the floor needs to be cut around the gearbox and make a tunnel to go around it... but that will eat into the floor/cab space!

Also you don't really want to mount the engine box combo too low or it will be dragging it's belly!

45 series is 120" wheelbase and I believe the 40 is 88" wheelbase? So the 40 is tight on length and the issues above with a 45 series.

A bit of information for you...:thumbup:

Cheers Iwan,,
Lots more to think about there

If you are most about value for money fit 4.0 v8 out of ls400(early pre 96 no immo) keep ls box, chop rear spline off as it's too long and fit 70 transfer case. You may fit 1kz engine but it's not worth the hussle, you may fit 1hd 1hz etc but it's too expensive. Loads of options but if you go 1uz-fe 4.0 you will smile every time you start this car. And at the end of the day it's all that matters ;)

I think I’ve seen one on YouTube with a 1uz,
A friend of mine has fitted one into a Mazda rx7, and I think using an rx8 gearbox....... anyway he has a spare 1uz and offered me it yesterday.
That’s something else to think about lol

Plenty to consider with these as they were designed with a compact gearbox and the more modern ones escalate in size..

All is possible but better to know before going in blind.. and of course the investment of parts then finding out that it's more extensive than just buying the transmission first for example..

Been there done that, can still make it work.. they're well cool trucks and they so deserve customising.. looking forward to the spring to get back on my project. :thumbup:

Back