Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not a 'Transmission / diff problem' - contaminated brake shoes

Robzimbo

Country Flag
kenya
Advice, please, friends.

The vehicle: 105 series, I HZ engine, 'Standard' (base model) Spec, manual box, manufactured 1998, 155,000 kms. Front discs, rear drum brakes.

The problem: I start up the car. Manoeuvre out of a parking space, forward or reverse, a bit of hard lock, slow speed, drive a hundred meters or so, tap the brakes, and there's a really nasty 'grab' from somewhere in the transmission line, or possibly the brakes. It feels MOST like the diff lock is on, though there's no light showing on the dash.

OR it feels like the handbrake is 'grabbing', but I think it's ok after we checked it.

It's definitely from the rear axle / hubs / brakes. Probably the Right rear. Which is why I was sure it is connected to the handbrake. But now I'm not so sure.

I had the vehicle up on a lift yesterday, had the handbrake and brake shoes checked. All seemed mostly ok (though there's a small oil leak from the right rear drive shaft seal, and the adjustment was way out, so we sorted that out).

When I rotated the right rear wheel in forward direction the left rear wheel rotated in the opposite direction (though at a slightly slower speed), which suggests to me that the diff is not locked.

When it's done this 'grabbing' thing a couple of times, at the start of a drive, it's fine thereafter. But if I stop for a few hours, and start again, it does the same thing.

Is it possibly connected to the leaking drive shaft oil seal? A small amount of drive shaft oil could be pooling in the brake drum when the vehicle is standing... but I can't imagine how that would translate into this "grabbing" feeling.

Any thoughts and comments would be most appreciated.

Best regards

Rob
Nairobi

Did you have the brake drums off ? I've had something similar in the past and it was contaminated shoes.

Did you have the brake drums off ? I've had something similar in the past and it was contaminated shoes.

Yes, that would fit - so, the oil leaks from the drive shaft seal, gets onto the pads, which then absorb the oil and expand - so gripping against the drum until I've driven a little, whereupon the expanded surface is worn down and the car runs smoothly....

hmmm. Ok - so fix the oil seal (which I need to do anyway), change the brake shoes, and the problem should go away?

Thanks for that, Flint. I'll give it a go.

Rob

Definitely contaminated brake shoes. Doing the oil seal and new shoes tomorrow. Thanks for the steer, Flint. Helluva relief - we are off to the north on Friday for a week, and I really really really didn't want to have to rebuild the diff before we go...

Back