Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Not quite fatal

Shayne

Guru

So just a subtle reminder perhaps of what you should expect and prepare for

Last edited:
I dont think you could ever prepare for something like that shayne.
Lucky guys though.

I'd say the second occupant of the vehicle spent a full minute submerged unable to breathe while he fought to get his seat belt off .

Preparation equals windows down and belts off so at least you might escape the vehicle .

and a seat belt cutter within arms reach

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
Well shaynes right they could have planned better.

If a river is flowing like that vehicles should be tethered, people in the car should have had the seat belts off and also the procedure if the car gets dragged is to open the doors. This allows the water to flow through better less surface area to push against and sinks the car to gain better traction.

Had those been employed there would have been a different outcome

One of the few occasions I would take my seatbelt off when off road. as has been said, should have had a tether.I’ve been stuck upside down hanging in my seatbelt and they are very difficult to get off.
looks to me like he wasn’t very experienced as he appeared to bottle it when it was deeper than expected. tbh I think the first vehicle was lucky to get across, that flow is really too fast, maybe they forgot they weren’t in ural 6x6s!!!
They don’t appear to understand the power of water, as evidenced by the eejit in the background jumping in and being swept away!!

My relationship with seat belts is fluid depending on the worst case scenario of circumstance , if it goes wrong and i will land upside down or roll a couple of times i need a seat belt .
If it goes wrong and i will end up going backwards at high speed for quite some distance with no happy ending in sight i want the option too bail out so no seat belt .

And if it looks very probably things could go wrong passengers are told to get out .

Not content with nearly drowning they then proceed to try and topple the jeep on top of them. Not to mention being in the firing line if the winch line broke.

I think having less of a suspension lift and being lower vehicles and way made it catch the water and float easier, no snorkel probably meant some water could’ve got in and caused it to stall.

They were very lucky indeed.

I think the river was too fast and deep for a safe crossing without a thether. Agree with Stu, if you start to float, you need to open the doors to let the water in, although that is easier said than done, with water pressure on the outside. The down stream doors might be easier. Better still, if in doubt, stay out!!!

Not content with nearly drowning they then proceed to try and topple the jeep on top of them. Not to mention being in the firing line if the winch line broke.

I think having less of a suspension lift and being lower vehicles and way made it catch the water and float easier, no snorkel probably meant some water could’ve got in and caused it to stall.

They were very lucky indeed.
One of the reasons I have rope on my winch rather than wire is so that for a dodgy winch or tether I can standby with a knife if it all goes tits.

It wasn’t a wide crossing either, so there was no excuse why they couldn’t have thrown a tether over and secured it to the first one across.
That guy thought he’d breathed his last, you could see the shock in his face.

Back