Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them

Nuts and bolts

warrenpfo

This maybe a silly question but having acquired an impact wrench I wondered if there is a right and a wrong way to undo and do up nuts and bolts.

For example should you have a ring spanner and impact wrench do you hold the nut and undo the bolt or the other way around. I appreciate there will be occasions where you can't get to the nut (captive) or bolt and so will have no choice and assume the same would apply for doing things up.

My mind tells me you hold the bolt and impact or ratchet on the nut as it would have the least resistance but i may be wrong.

I would have thought the nut as the bolt shaft may be stiff in it's hole. Only guessing. I use oxy/acetylene but rarely have a nut I can't undo.

If there is a flat washer I would undo the end with the washer. You also sometimes see that a nut or bolt may have ridges on the mating surface (obviously you can't always tell if you haven't undone one yet), with a spring washer (or similar) at the other end. I try to avoid damaging these ridges if I can, by undoing the other end.

I was always told to put it on the nut

you always undo the nut as 'normal' practice. The purpose of a washer (which is usually under the nut) is to provide a 'bearing' surface that the nut can rotate on.
You mention undoing and doing up nuts with the impact wrench...I wouldn't have thought there is anything on a landcruiser that needs doign up with an impact wrench.

I will not do anything up with an impact as don't need that much force and i dont want to run the risk of cross threading the nut.

It was more for interest sake.

Don't like the adverts?  Click here to remove them
you can do nuts and bolts up with a impact gun for speed you start it off by hand then buzz it up just dont let it rattle on the bolt.

Don't think there's a right way or a wrong way IMO. Issues like access, type of washer, condition of the nut and bolt heads etc will all influence your decision. Many new impact guns (got my eye on a new Milwaukee gun) have a low setting to spin the nut/bolt on initially. Heat certainly works but is ALWAYS a last resort due obviously to the damage done to the nut/bolt and potentially the surrounding components if access is difficult. JMO

Yep Warren all of the above. Ideally the nut screws onto a stationary bolt. But this is a rare occasion as already said, due to access and whatever. Good practice would favour winding the nut, but needs must in mechanical matters, and it's more the case of just getting the frigging broken part off, or removing stuff to get at it!

Enjoy the wrench though, it will save a lot of "spannerin" on some parts. I remember taking the spare wheel cross member plate off the 80, some 12 bolts IIRC, lying on my back on wet grass on a plastic sheet, all bolts tight all the way, even with release oil, and easy access for an impact gun, oh what a dream that would have been! :icon-biggrin:

Back